1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

New 2nd best pb carp.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Madfisher, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    As I get older I find the heat effects me more, and makes my angina worst, so recently finding I had the next day off , I wanted to go fishing, but where?
    The one potential water was Burraga dam at close on 1000m above sea level, the only problem its a very hard fishery, my av score last year was only two carp on fly per trip, and this was worst, one carp for two trips, still I reckoned it would only be in the high 20s out their, and the water should have cleared somewhat from last trip.
    On arrival the water was indeed clearer, but still only about 60cm, I started walking fly rod in hand, and I had tied on one of Andy Bolchs great damsel fly flies. Seen a bit of mud coming up, but could not pinpoint a fish,
    Got right around the far side on this smallish dam, spotted some mud coming up, then he poped his head up, I cast in front of him, and he swims straight past, buggar.
    One more cast in front, and he stops, turns and inhales You beauty.
    I lift and come up tight, what a feeling eh.
    He immediately bolts for deep water, all the loose line is quickly gone, then most of my fly line. At this stage I am thinking a good fish of maybe 10 to 12lb, but once out in the deep he just leans onme, and leans on me. Thank God I am using a 6wt, but what I would give for a fighting butt on my fly rod now. My arms are killing me, at this rate I will be worn out before this big carp.
    But finally I get his head around and I detect he is tiring, thank god lol.
    I lead him around into a shallow bay and beach him, then realise why he had been leaning on me so much, absolute howler.
    I put the tape over him and it goes 81cm, and he is round like a tuna, what will the scales say 18.18lb not bad on a fly rod.
    Guys (I have the photos on my phone, I can get my young bloke to text them to someone if they want to put them up.
    Cheers Pete

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Top effort Pete, and another mud Marlin bites the dust

3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    X2. Cheers, creekboy.

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.
  4. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Nice work there madfisher,all dead carp are good ones.

5. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    I actually ended up with two for the day, I did not weigh the 2nd one,but it would still have been 6lb plus.
    Cheers Pete

6. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Her ya go!:)
    Petes carp.jpg
    Not bad at all!:) When you talk about your 'PB's', do you go by length or weight!
    cheers
    Team Bender

Old fisho, diesel, creekboy and 4 others like this.
  7. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Weight normally mate, this is my 2nd heaviest, but only 3rd longest. I got and 84cm out of a river ,but it only went 14lb. By the way thanks very much for doing that. I also have a pic of the scales if any one doubts the size.
    cheers Pete

Old fisho, diesel, creekboy and 3 others like this.
  8. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I don't have to see any scales Pete, I would say the majority of members would agree.

Old fisho, diesel, creekboy and 4 others like this.
  9. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    That is a monster Pete well done, I tried fly fishing a couple of times but I thought I should try whip cracking after my efforts.
    Wally

10. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Helps if you have and instructor mate, whip cracking usually indicates not pausing long enough to let the fly line straighten out behind you. But good on you for having a go. I only got into it as the kid next door brought and outfit, I spent more time practicing with is rod then he did, and cracking all his flies off.
    Cheers Pete.

Old fisho, Rod Bender, diesel and 4 others like this.
  11. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    What a whammer of a fish. Pity it's a mud marlin. Great fishing though Pete.

kev209 and creekboy like this.