1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

New Cod Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Discussion' started by RyKnOw, Jan 30, 2010.

1. RyKnOw

RyKnOw New Member

Sep 16, 2009
    i have my cod tank up and running, with the little fella 3 weeks away. got a few rock and some weed in there yesty and turned the filter on today. the log that is goin in is soaking atm and will prob leave it for a week or so before it goes in. a nice bit of red gum i found lying around. cant wait, here is a few pics.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. dave.c

dave.c Davo

Jan 11, 2009
    Looks good fella! Where are you getting the cod from?
    A word of advice on the redgum , It will leak tannins for a very long time unless it was driftwood that has had a chance to leak.

What size is the tank?
    I might have some bits of driftwood here that you might like.

3. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    just put some carbon into the filter and it will remove the tannin from the water

4. RyKnOw

RyKnOw New Member

Sep 16, 2009
    hey dave,
    i thought that might be the case... was gunna soak it for a couple of weeks, as i dont get the cod for three weeks yet, and see if it was still leaking tannin??? one of my aunties breeds em down in vic, and she headin up here to drop him off! and the tank is only a 92x36x50cm but the little fella is only the size of my little finger atm so should last abit till i can afford to upgrade it!

5. ambigua

ambigua New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Hi,

Go 2 Googong and find some longtime drowned trees/stumps and break off bits, these wont leak much at all if any, just add 2 boiling water for a bit and strip back old bark/surface wood and that will leach out tannin if there is any, repeat twice.

Also u might wanna add c/f salt to your water, i add a table spoon to 20lts and this will help with fish wounds etc.

Cod are super sensitive to white spot, always add water ager when doing water changes.

6. RyKnOw

RyKnOw New Member

Sep 16, 2009
    bognoel,

as u can see i have an internal filter... would you still put carbon in that? if so what compartment?

7. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    with my one i have the carbon in the top part nearest to the pump instead of the filter

8. Rusty Can

Rusty Can New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    I have a Aqua 1 filter with the Carbon layer / bio balls/ceremic noodles and the filter wool, it does a great job and stores the good bacteria in the noodles and balls. like mentioned above use the ager and aquarium salt. But its always a good idea to have a Hospital tank for quarentine before intorducing new fish it can save you a big headache later down the track. Its always good to cycle a new tank for as long as you can.RC

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  9. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    have not had the chance to cycle a tank before so i dont know how that goes and this is my first 6ft tank with canister filter so i dont know much about them either but trying to learn. sounds like i have the tap running all day long cause of the amount of water it pushes out. have allways just put the cod straight in with a bit of water ager and a little bit of fungus treatment and havent lost him yet after 6 years. what i am having problems with is getting rid of the tannin and the carbon is doing it slowly and i know it will not hurt them but it just detracts from the look