1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

New Sounder

Discussion in 'Electronics & Gizmos' started by strictlybmx, Jan 28, 2010.

1. strictlybmx

strictlybmx New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Hey all,

im half intrested in a new sounder but i dont have any idea as to what im looking for.

is there any advantage to a colour screen as to B/W?

im not too fussed if it has a gps or not its only going on a 12ft punt so i wont be taking it out too far.

i do want to have temp and a speedo and to be around the 500 - 600max mark.

even if someone can share a link that might help me to know what to look for.

Cheers,

Karl.

2. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    I'm not sure on which unit will fit in your budget, but go for a colour screen over greyscale. You will be able interpret a lot more from the colours once you get the hang of it.

GPS is handy to mark the good spots so you can find them later, so I wouldn't write it off. Plus a unit with built in GPS will give you a speed reading without the need for a paddle wheel sensor.

3. strictlybmx

strictlybmx New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    thanks john, so your not sure wether ill get what i want for around the price i set?

if i got over that i prob wont have a mrs anymore hahahaha

4. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    For $600 I'm thinking you may have to go a unit without GPS or with a GPS but in Monochrome.

If you can stretch and extra $200 you should be able to get a colour Sounder/GPS combo.

Eagle FishElite 642C iGPS

Keep in mind I haven't done any real research on exact prices, so you may find something gets you everything for $600.

5. strictlybmx

strictlybmx New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    would there be any trouble buying one from overseas? ie USA? would the maps work over here?

Cheers

6. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
  7. strictlybmx

strictlybmx New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    champ thanks mate.

8. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
  9. strictlybmx

strictlybmx New Member

Dec 7, 2009
  10. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    If ya can fit it in ya budget, then the HDS5 would be a great unit. Plus there are some upgrades available (Side scan) if you find some spare cash down the track.