1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

New tank set up for cod fingerling

Discussion in 'Aquarium Discussion' started by crowyfishes, Dec 18, 2009.

1. crowyfishes

crowyfishes New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    just got myself a 5ft tank and am plannin on setting it up for a cod fingerling, what else should i need, filter size? heater? and also ph levels.

cheers crowy

2. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    filter size should be atleast 1000 litres per hour, that will cycle the tank volume through the filter atleast 4 times per hour. prefferable to get an external cannister filter rather than internal sponge types as these will not maintain a big enough beneficial bacteria colony for nitrification, they are only reasonable for removing suspended solids. No need for a heater unless you want the cod to outgrow the tank within a couple of years, Cod are happy in water temps from 5 degrees to 35 degrees, but never subject a fish to a sudden change in temperature more than 10% of its length... ie if its 10 centimetres do not subject it to any more than 1 degree celsius of temp change all of a sudden. Try to keep the tank away from heaters / airconditioners in a home which may influence the water temperature in the tank too much on a regular basis... ie heat up when heaters on - cool down when heaters off etc etc which will slowly weaken the fishes immune system... bit like humans getting colds when temp is going up and down... this is often a trap for people who like to have tanks in lounge rooms etc... but the temp fluctuations will eventually make your fish sick... a spare room which is not subjected to the fluctuations is generally better for the elfare of the fish...
    PH levels should be pretty much neutral, ie 7 but some alkalinity is prefferred ie PH 7 to say PH 7.5.
    lower than 7 is acidic and makes nitrites more toxic. Put some shell grit in the bottom of the tank or in the filter substrate to keep the PH stable and around 7.
    ALWAYS use water conditioner prior to adding new water to the tank from town water supplies, this will neutralise any treatment chimicals such as flouride and chloramines which are toxic to fish.
    all the best
    Jules

3. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    if you have a look back through the old threads crowy you will find alot of information on here indeed but post up any new questions for sure

4. crowyfishes

crowyfishes New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    thanks for all that info, i havent got the cod yet. probly take me a month to set it all up and order the fish as i will be on holidays for the next 3 weeks. so i better not have to get anyone to feed and clean it :D

5. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    another thing mate is if you are setting up a new tank make sure you fill it and get the filter running for a couple of weeks before you put your cod in, it takes a while for the filters to get the bacteria colonies going. also a good idea to get a couple of cheap goldfish to put in their to help get things going :)