1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

New tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Discussion' started by chicka, Apr 10, 2010.

1. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi All
    Well after looking at many different ideas on fresh,salt alternatives we bought a small setup for our townhouse as a trial in tropical fish.
    Probably one of the simpler setups but still relatively involved and costly.
    To kick the tank off we stocked it with plattis,redtip shark and a couple of algae eaters which look like little flatties.8 in all.
    When the tank settles I'd like to get a couple of gouramis and black knife which look amazing.
    Here's a couple of pics

2. SCHEP

SCHEP New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    that looks sweet. did u buy that wood or did u get it from some water? and did it affect the clarity of the water?

3. dave.c

dave.c Davo

Jan 11, 2009
    Tank looks great man.Your algae eaters are Bristlenose catfish.

4. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    i think we will need some algae eaters at home. it did get pretty bad at one stage.

5. jewiehaven

jewiehaven reelaxation

Jun 17, 2009
    Thats a nice lookin yank (sorry I meant TANK- roflroflrofl) Charlie.
    Can I suggest you get some Silver Sharks and Silver Dollars- they are really cool to watch and cause they are very flashy silver they stand out.
    Angel fish are awesome also but they have a habit of chewing the tails off the smaller fish and then they kill them slowly (not v.cool!)

Also, get some snails to clean the glass of the tank, they do a better job than the catties but they are slower @ the same job, lol
    The catties are good cause they are bottom feeders, they will clwean the gravel and rocks, but they are useless @ cleaning the glass.

We have had a few tanks (1 X 3 foot) and my sis in law had an 8 foot tank filled with over 50fish + she had Blue Yabbies which we had to get rid of.

Cheers mate, chat soon I hope

Anthony

6. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    yer yabbies are a bad idea in tanks. dont they attack the fish and kill them?

7. jewiehaven

jewiehaven reelaxation

Jun 17, 2009
    Yer, the ones we had preyed on the ones with bitten tails that the Angelfish head severed, in the end most of ours died at the mercy of either the Angels or the Yabbies (or both)
    ... Maybe they conspired together to nail all the fish in the tank...
    From memory the only fish left over were a few Mollies and a lonely Siamese Fighting Fish (and it kicked the bucket cause we bought what was "advertised" as a Female so they would breed- but it turned out to be another male (but a short finned version). We had to fluch the short finned one cause it killed every fish in the tank with no mercy

I LOVE Fighting fish they are so beautiful to watch, awesome colours and they are very sedate when in a mixed tank, put 2 together then all hell breaks loose and like the name says - they fight literally "to the death", lol

8. mitchmcm

mitchmcm Member

Feb 2, 2010
    haha the 2 high lighted bits are so funny. i have seen 2 nearly kill themselves looking through glass tanks at each other and then raming it haha pretty wicked fish

9. jewiehaven

jewiehaven reelaxation

Jun 17, 2009
    yer, watching them arc up @ each other is something to behold for sure, I'd hate to be the one on the receiving end though... hehehehehehehehehehe

10. JohnyyBoii

JohnyyBoii New Member

Apr 13, 2010
    nice tank!
    those platties are going to multiply like crazy!, may I sugest, add bunch of neon/cardinal tetras as they will blend in with your blue blackround + plants and really make the tank look good.

11. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi
    We bought the log with plant attached and the rock came from the desert in S.A.
    The crystal was off an old water fountain.The plattis are mildly agressive and pigs at feeding time ,hassling the catfish.The shark holds his own in the pecking order.
    You can watch them for hours.
    After the first water change we will add more.
    Keeping the tank well balanced is the main thing .Nature does it so easily compared to an artificial environment where you have to monitor everything closely.
    Bye for now.

12. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Nice basic set up chicka.Moving onto natives from there is an easy step.

Here is a pic i took tonight just after feeding time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]