1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

New Tent

Discussion in 'Camping, Carravanning & 4x4' started by shauno, Oct 21, 2009.

1. shauno

shauno New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Hi all. My wife, another couple and myself are heading away over the christmas to warrnambool for a fish and five nights relaxing. Generally when away I sleep in a two man tent or a swag but being a longer trip, my wife wants to be able to stand up in a tent and looking to the future, I am looking at a larger tent. In todays harris scarfe (21/10), there is a OZtrail 10 person (or really a 6 adult) tent for $299. Realistically only ever going to be used in the summer months (no extreme weather) and it would have limited rough use, I just wanted to see if anyone has any thoughts on Oztrail for tents? I don't expect the world for that type of money just something that will last a while and keep us dry in a bit of rain

2. jezza

jezza New Member

Aug 6, 2009
    shauno,
    i have been using an 8 man oztrail dome tent i got from big w bought it about 6 years ago, paid around $270 for it, like yourself i wasnt to sure on how it would last, it has been a bloody ripper of a tent, heaps of room fits 4 swags in, plus gear. The only problem i have had with it happened in the last couple of months the bungee cord in the pole snapped cost me about $4.50 to fix which after that time could happen with any brand of tent.
    Hopes this helps mate.
    Sounds like your going to have a great time in warrnambool, hope the fish are biting for ya.
    Jezza

3. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Will it be just you and your wife in the tent or are your friends sharing the tent , if it's the former then I'd be going one of these , bit tougher than dome tents stand up better in wind only downside they get a bit warm under the sun and hold the heat.

Cheers
    Ozzy

4 Person

[​IMG]

6 Person

[​IMG]

4. shauno

shauno New Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Thanks Jezza, that's just want I wanted to hear. When you see something like that in a catalogue it's always 50/50 but appreciate the details. Ozzy, big fan of that style tent. Spent 2 weeks in one like that that many years ago up the centre of Australia but at the moment, all of us in one tent so might be a little too cosy!

Bring on the bream I say!

Cheers fellas

5. Poolie

Poolie Your mothers lover

Jun 2, 2009
    This might not be exactly what you want but I use a Mitchell dome swag and I pitch a Coleman Event 14 over the top it's a dome type gazebo and has 1 clip on side you can move around for shade or rain protection, we fit the swag a table our 2 chairs and esky and other gear under it COLEMAN EVENT 14 SHADE SHELTER & SUNWALL - eBay Marquees, Sun Shades, Outdoor Living, Home. (end time 29-Apr-10 11:14:40 AEST)
    My wife and I were comfy in it for 2 and a half weeks we were @ campsites with ammenties though, sometimes BCF has them for $200, I spray Inox in the frame if it gets wet to stop it rusting.