1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

outboard motors

Discussion in 'Boats' started by abu7000, Mar 14, 2010.

1. abu7000

abu7000 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    can any one tell me if i should use a long shaft or a short shaft motor on a 10 ft dinghy and what is beter 2stroke or 4 stroke.

2. howler

howler New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    mate ,ide say a short shaft with a 10ft ,you may have to measure the transom,depends on what type of boat and how old ,i like the 2 strokes myself ,i bought a new merc and when i was looking at motors the dealers reckon 4strokes arent much better in smaller hp,,but i reckon they wanted me to just buy a brand new motor which i did,,,,jas

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  3. hoppa

hoppa New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    As Howler has said, I'd be guessing a short shaft too! Had an 2 stroke 8hp merc for years on my old tinnie and caught heaps of fish. I now have a 4 stroke 10hp HONDA and still catch fish, but it really is a 1000% better motor.
    Don't want to start an argument with anyone but 4 strokes are better if you are in a position to buy one.

4. howler

howler New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    yeah i thought that when i bought mine hoppa ,but i dont know much about the 4strokes ,and thought the shops would steer me right ,oh well **** happens ,,,,jas:)

5. abu7000

abu7000 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    outbord

thanks guys

6. neville berghofer

neville berghofer New Member

Dec 10, 2016
    yeah but 4 stroke are a lot heavier than 2 stroke that is another thing you have to take into account

Madfisher likes this.
  7. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    especially in such a small boat , I am a 4st convert but in a boat that small I would go a 2st as fuel use will be negligible anyway but it will be lighter on the transom .