1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Quiery

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, Dec 25, 2017.

1. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    I have been told that Alvey Reels are no longer closing down, some entrepreneur has put money into the company to keep it going. Has anyone heard this or is it just a rumor,

diesel, creekboy and DeeBeeKay like this.
  2. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I haven't heard anything Kev but they are still pumping out heaps of reels, cheers davo

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It's unknown at this stage whether or not the 'bail out' will go ahead, Kev. I guess that any potential investor would have to conduct very stringent due diligence before committing to such an investment. In my opinion, the iconic Alvey reel has seen it's day and is destined to become a collectable. Some blokes swear by them and wouldn't fish with any other reel, but I have never been all that impressed with them. For the beach, I prefer to use a Penn Spinfisher rather than a side-cast.

Maybe if the company came up with a new design or just new features on the old design, they may be able to trade on for a few more years, but they are up against some pretty stiff competition with the likes of Shimano, Daiwa, Abu etc.

Two problems that I see with Alvey, are firstly that they manufactured too good a product when it came to durability and secondly that things changed in the way that youngsters were taught fishing. For a long time, the first reel for most young fishos was an Alvey, but that all changed when the market was saturated with alternatives. We now see Kmart and BigW flogging off spin combos so cheaply that youngsters that learn to fish with a spin outfit will generally stick with a spin outfit for the rest of their fishing life. You don't see many kids sitting on a jetty with a side-cast outfit these days.

Jeff :cool:

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Sad but true, Jeff. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 and diesel like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Just part of the ever changing world that we live in, Lyall.

Alvey were a real success story in the fishing tackle industry and I guess it would have been nice if they could reach the 100 year milestone, but 97 years is a pretty good innings.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Mate it wasnt an entrepreneur it was the general public keeping Alvey going- after they posted they were going to close early they had a large influx of interest in their reels, and recently they have posted they have enough orders to fill tackle shops up to the end of 2018 and apparently they think they will be able to continue production in the future- with all my beach fisho mates going great guns for the C8, Riptide and 600 series reels they have not been able to produce for the demand in the last few months. They have assured all customers waiting on new reels they will fulfill these in the new year and have put on extra staff to catch up.

Its great news and I am thinking of investing in a new combo myself in the next year- not sure but most likely a gary Howard 5/6W rod matched to a 550 or 600 series reel, mostly for chasing ting, bream, salmon and the odd greenback taylor. I will be running 12lb mono on it so it will make a perfect addition to my beach arsenal and open a gap between my 5kg and my 8kg outfits.

Bring on the era of the new Alvey I say

:D

7. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Thank's for the feedback Anthony I hope they reach there 100 years + some

creekboy and diesel like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Spot on Anthony, but there were some big players interested in acquiring the brand after the initial announcement that Alvey would close their doors. From what I have heard from my local BCF manager, Super Retail Group (parent company of BCF, Supercheap Auto, Rays & Rebel) had shown interest, but that was as far as it went. I can understand the interest shown by Peter Birtles (CEO of Super Retail Group) in acquiring Alvey as both companies are Brisbane based and logistically that makes product supply much easier, but I am happy to see that nothing eventuated. There are some ruthless people out there in the corporate world and it is common practice these days for large companies to takeover small companies for no other reason than to close them down and remove them as competition to other brand names.

It is interesting to note that BCF no longer stock Alvey reels and the only products still in stores carrying the brand are 1 type of surf rod and a few accessory items. Alvey have lost one of their biggest retailers, if not the biggest (over 100 stores nationwide) and this would be a big blow to them, but Alvey are not a large company by any means and with the support of the fishing public, they could very well trade themselves out of trouble. I certainly hope that is the case.

9. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Me too Jeff, I was brought up and one of first ever reels was a Bakalite 450a matched to a 8'0" Daiwa Bream estury rod- I then move to my old man's 650a and Butterworth 7144 when I was big enough to use it - so I am guessing I was around 14yo... I have had several ranging from the original 450a up to a 700c5 all matched to SnyderGlas 7144/8144/9144 rods. These days I prefer spin but I do still have a couple of Alvey reels which were my Dad's and another one I bought a couple of years ago which I plan to run on a new SnyderGlas 8144 and 15lb mono- I will get around to spooling it up one day LOL... Then I will use them for live baiting jews and pigs around the washes...

Cheers
    Anthony

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    My first reel, back in the 50's, was a Spalding centre pin made by Academy Plastics in Richmond, Victoria. It was a 'hand me down' from my father who had used it fishing for pigs at Fraser Park.

ACADEMY_FISHING_REEL_006.JPG
    It was similar to the one in the above image. I used that reel for just about every type of fishing that I could get into as a kid, it was a mongrel to cast being a centre pin without side cast, but I caught a lot of fish with it off the rocks, beach and wharves. I progressed into the 'big league' in the late 50's when I was given another 'hand me down' reel from my grandfather, this time an Ocean City Far Kast overhead identical to the one in the pic below.

Ocean City Far Kast OH Reel.jpg
    That reel was made in the US, very good quality and it became the one to set me on the path to only using overheads for a long time and still do for a lot of fishing, but now they are high tech baitcasters. I think that if I had not been given the Far Kast, I would most likely have moved to side casts after the Spalding.

It wasn't until sometime in the late 70's or early 80's that I started using spin gear and that was the game changer for me - they are such a versatile reel and always will be.

Some interesting info here on Alvey: https://australianfishingmuseum.com/alvey-2-2/

11. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    I guess I was fairly lucky with the mix of Alvey, Spin and overhead.baitcast reels because I picked them up fairly quick in my teen years.
    Even though now I prefer spin I still have a large number of baitcast and overhead/game reels which don't getbused much except in the boat or on charter. I keep meaning to drag all my gear out and get back onto all the things I have life ng since forgotten but one day...

diesel and kev209 like this.
  12. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Great read Jeff, did Alvey ever make a side cast reel that could be converted from right to left hand wind by just turning the reel around like Steelite did.

creekboy and diesel like this.
  13. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Hmmm, not sure about that Kev, but me being a diesel mechanic who spent most of my working life mending heavy gear, I learnt over the years that just about anything can be achieved with a bloody big hammer and a bit of determination :D.

Maybe Anthony can provide the answer.

14. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    So how did you cast it? An Alvey centrepin reel caught my eye a while ago.
    Alvey centrepin.jpg
    I did some research and found that casting is difficult. Someone I spoke to who I trust said the same. But is it something that can be mastered with a lot of practice? From what I have seen on videos you need to get the rig airborne then it is just like a baitcaster. If there is hope I would like to purchase one.

Also, they say this is a great reel to use with floats...why?:confused:
    cheers
    Jim

15. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    I always thought the rod was the important thing when float fishing, could be wrong

creekboy likes this.
  16. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    As far as I know, the graphite backed Alvey reels are interchangeable between left and right hand, but the metal backed ones are not- this is due to the one way clutch or release button so it only works one way! (I will ask a few of my Alvey mates who know a bit more about them then I do and confirm but that is my understanding).

As for the Alvey Centrepin they are a true side cast model, but dont have the same release mechanism of the metal backed models- in saying this early Centrepin reels were not designed for casting they were more for dropping your line at your feet for niggers, pigs, bream and other species found in close to the wash zones on most rock platforms. If any casting was to be done you did it like a fly reel and unwound the amount of line needed to cast, and you relied on the weight of the split shot leads and your float to get you distance for out.
    Many years ago I got into catching niggers in sydney and I fished with a few blokes who had the Alvey Centrepin reels and all were side cast models, but having fished in my younger years up the mid north coast around the local nigger fisho's who use the non-side cast versions they only dropped their bait at their feet- using long whippy SnyderGlas and Butterworth 3144 or 4144 rods. It was a sight to behold watching these old buggers donging blackfish after blackfish in the middle of summer on the breakwall in Harrington on the inlet side of the gantree on string weed. Gee they put up a cafuffle if you fished in their spot- they even conctreted the ledge and added their names to it so it was "their spot". If you argues they would chase you up and down the breakwall LOL... Imagine that but true as I write this it did- grumpy old buggers but if you were polite and asked them to show you a few tricks they did no questions- very old skool fisho's who didnt give away their secrets but would help a young fisho if you had manners and didnt come over as a know-it-all as they would put it... I learned a bunch from them but I dont chase niggers and havent in a lot of years.

I put the whole Alvey thing down to persistence and patience- I have gotten some of my mates to try but they fail miserably same with overhead gear- and I am hedging my bets I will need to re-learn the art of casting the old Alvey when I do bother to spool up and start using the ones I have. But I am inspired to go back to that very basic idea and I might get to do it sooner than later, but for the time being my spin gear is ready to go so I wont be giving up on my baitrunners anytime soon- but I like the idea of dabbling back in time to when I was using Alvey and Overhead on 2 different rods in the same session and quite successfully.

17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Your research results are correct, Jim, casting is difficult and unlike a baitcaster, the line peels off the underside of the reel (see below pic) and the line cannot be 'thumbed'. The Alvey centre pin (float series) were designed mainly for luderick fishing which does not require big casts and generally the float is only just flicked out a few metres to reach the fishing zone with long leaders below the float to get down deeper in the water column.

bfish2.jpg

Kev is correct in his comment about the rod being the more important element in float fishing, a bit like fly fishing I would imagine, with the main purpose of the reel being a place to contain the line. I have watched some real expert luderick fishos in action and most of them use a very fluid movement of peeling line off with one hand and casting with the other which is also used to slow the momentum of the reel to prevent backlash - good to watch. The old Spalding centre-pin that I used for many years was about twice the diameter of most luderick reels and also twice as thick. With much practice and a lot of tangles, I perfected a casting style that was a combination of underarm with a sideways movement plus a triple somersault/one and a half pike thrown in if any young ladies were watching.

I think float fishing for carp using the reel you have shown mounted on a lengthy black-fish rod would be a lot of fun.

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  18. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    You are not wrong! The Alvey page does state that the reel is suited to a 'float fishing' rod...or 'blackfish' rod as Jeff said.

How far would you say is a 'few metres'? 7 or 8 metres would do me! Also, regarding using it for carp...you know me too well! That is what I would use it for...just something different. I may consider it after I start using some of my other gear assuming Alvey's are still in production!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    May physically be past the point of somersaulting to impress the ladies!

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  19. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Bender you are better off getting an Alvey Blackfish sidecast model if you want to cast more than a few metres... The model you would be looking at is the 475B - its a true centrepin but with sidecast on a graphite backing plate and no clutch like you would get if you were to get a metal backed model.

You could also look at the following models:

475A5E
    455BXL
    475A5E

Good luck with the purchase mate

:D

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  20. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    With the right rod, (10' to 12') and a bit of practice, I think 7 or 8 metres is very achievable. I could cast the old Spalding about 20 to 30 metres max, but being a larger diameter reel than a black-fish reel, each complete revolution of the spool would release quite a bit more line.

Mate, I pinged you for that straight away.

21. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    A Jim when are you going to win the carp comp. I'm getting these BCF gift cards mixed up.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Rod Bender, creekboy and reelaxation like this.