1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Running mono on baitcast reels.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    So...has anyone done it? I intend on trying mono on a couple baitcasters. The initial idea came to me as I will be throwing heavy expensive swimbaits which I have no doubt will snap off if I use braid and it comes to a sudden stop with a tangle. The line I am likely to use will be around 30lb. I also thought why not try it on a smaller outfit as well, maybe around 10 lb.

One problem I can see is when I do get an overrun, and it will happen, if the mono gets kinked then as far as I am concerned that creates a weak spot. Some people have warned me against using mono but then I think, what did people do before braid come along?
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Trend setter!

diesel, creekboy, AWL and 1 other person like this.
  2. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Im too scared to load braid on mine, so I have always used mono... I learnt to cast overhead on the old Daiwa Millionaire 4H and then upgraded to a 6H when I was around 10yo. I loaded the reels up and then added a sinker and took it up to the local park and started casting- I figured out pretty quick how to untangle the worse backlash you could imagine without having to cut my line and then keep on casting until I had perfected casting without backlash...
    I think if you want to use mono or change to a new type of line doing it this way is better then getting to your beaut spot and then spend half the time or more detangling and losing lures- and it will give you the confidence you need before your first outing, you will not lose as much tackle and have a better time overall if you practice.

Since then I have more ABU reels including 5600c4, 6600c4, 6000 rocket, 7000c and a 7000c3 all I have started with mono and only went to braid on the 5600c4 for better casting but I get more over-run with braid than I do with mono - if you use braid get one with no memory and same with mono- a good mono like Platypus pre-test is perfect for baitcasting.

As a side option I wouldnt go near flouro on a baitcaster, I had enough issues with flouro on spin reels and Ive tried it on Alvey all were disasterous- wind knot central and I lost more line to casting than I did catching fish... Obviously I only say this from experience and I am sure others will give you other opinions or experiences. Being primarily a spin fisho I have left the overheads and baitcasters in a world behind me- but maybe now I am getting back into it I might plan to make those more part of my arsenal on regular outings, only time will tell.

Good luck mate

Anthony
    :)

diesel, creekboy, Rod Bender and 2 others like this.
  3. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Go the mono for learning bender,has more stretch than braid,saves throwing $$ away off the end if it all goes wrong.
    Either line, if you get a good birdsnest/tangle your gonna be sorting out a problem for awhile.

diesel, Wunderlust, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  4. Wunderlust

Wunderlust Active Member Admin

Jul 9, 2007
    Agree if you are starting out, but I like braid on my baitcaster as there is very little memory in the line and I find I can get some reasonable accuracy. I guess once you master the technique, birds nests become less frequent... however I lost I nice lure a few month ago by over running and the lure kept on going. Fishing isn’t a cheap hobby sometimes.

creekboy, AWL, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I just want to clarify something. I am rather experienced with baitcast reels but they have all been fitted with braid. Very soon I will be acquiring some largish lures to add to the ones I already have. One I will getting soon is the Mattlures Dead Twitch.
    image.jpeg
    10 inches...7 ounces! Cast from a broomstick of a rod (yet to be purchased) which may exceed 8 foot! If this leviathan is mid air at full speed and the line comes to a halt due to a tangle, me thinks that braid with no stretch will give way and the lure will be launched free flight style!:cool: On the other hand, mono which has more shock absorption will hopefully withstand the shock...therefore ensuring that my rod breaks instead!:cool: For what it is worth Mattlures also produce a 13 inch model which weighs around a pound!

From comments here it seems that mono on baitcast reels is certainly doable and I shall go forth with confidence!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Size does matter!

creekboy, AWL, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Wunderlust

Wunderlust Active Member Admin

Jul 9, 2007
    Crikey is a big lure. Interested to see how it works out with cast such a beast.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I purchased my first baitcaster reel back in the late 80's, a Shimano Bantam Magnumlite 2200SG, a beautiful little low profile bit of Japanese engineering and in those days braided line as we know it today had only just been invented and was yet to hit the shelves of tackle shops.

That left me with the only choice of line being mono and after trying many brand-names and breaking strains, along with the frustration of untangling numerous bird nests accompanied with some new terminology for people who invented such a tricky piece of fishing tackle, I finally mastered the operation of trouble free casting. That reel served me well for near on 25 years of chasing all sorts of fish within it's capabilities and never had anything but mono on the spool. I added a couple of ABU bc's to my stable of reels over the years and still only used mono up until a couple of years ago, but since using my current favourite bc, Shimano Chronarch 200E7, I shifted to braid and I'm happy with it for the type of fishing I mainly do - barra and jacks.

I seem to get better lure action using braid, especially with twitching topwater hard-bodies - a gentle movement of the rod tip transmits action to the lure with very little effort required compared to quite a bit of rod action required with mono to get the lure working right. My barra/jack outfit is running 30 lb Fins that gives me no trouble at all and I run 50 lb Fins on an ABU 6600C4 for chucking big poppers at pelagics like spaniards and GT's.

In saying all this, I am not and have not ever thrown such a beast of a lure as that 10 inch monster you refer to Jim. The biggest barra lure I use is only around the 25g mark and the biggest on pelagics is a Halco Roosta Popper 160 at 75g - nothing like the Mattlures Dead Twitch. That is one heavy duty bit of gear and I would imagine it would come at a heavy duty price - not something that you could handle losing due to line failure.

Jeff :cool:

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  8. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    My first baitcaster as well, a mate gave it to me after he got sick of untangling the line. He had it loaded with 6 lb mono & I had the same problem when trying to learn how to use it. Once I changed to 15 lb mono it became a lot easier to use.

Used it for many years until the handle fell off (rods carried on roof rack) & I retired it. Dug it out several weeks ago & fitted a handle from another broken overhead & have started using it again. Great little reel.

creekboy, diesel, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Around the $70 mark. I first spotted them at a display at the Eildon trout festival of all places! The new Aus distributor was there with other Mattlures models and another brand called Huddlestons or Hudds for short. The Hudds are well known in the US and are not as expensive. Despite the weight of the Dead Twitch I discovered on YouTube that it actually floats! Got me stuffed but you slow retrieve it on the surface and let it rest frequently...retrieve too fast and it rolls.

The fact it remains near the surface is the only reason I am getting it...I would not spend $70 on a lure that dives. It looks very realistic and cod will be the target come opening. Do I need more lures? No...but I am starting to use some of the stuff I have stockpiled so I am happy!

On another note, the reason I want to try mono is some of the rods I am looking at have very small guides. So small that if you use braid your joining knots have to be precise and compact. I would rather run mono and forget the knots.
    Cheers
    Jim

creekboy, diesel, Ditch and 1 other person like this.
  10. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Whatever you do bender,Don't aim that thing at the good old usa when casting.If it snaps off and trumpy see's it coming on satellite,he'll hit the launch button:eek:
    Assuming the first cast is a success:oops: and the lure remains attached to the line and lands in the water,what are we aiming at here.To catch the fish on the hook's, or to knock out some poor meter+ cod looking for a feed of trout up top:confused:

creekboy, diesel, Rod Bender and 3 others like this.
  11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Things aren't going to plan! I want to run around 40 lb mono on my swimbait rod but there are no suitable size baitcast reels that will hold enough!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Back to the drawing board!

AJ Fishman, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  12. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    When I read this title I thought it was a Joke, Wow I must be old !!!! My first was a Shimano Bantam 1000 GS.Im still using it.

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  13. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I use a couple of ABU 6000c for spinning from the beach, and on the big sticks have one ABU 7000, which is bordering on ancient now, but has never missed a beat. They were in the days of them being made in Sweden, not the cheapest country they could find. Also use two ABU 8000 as well (I think without checking they are 8000), but have taken out the level wind as to my mind it restricts casting distance. Once had many, but now have no birds nests from one year to the next, and all run 20lb mono.

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.