1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Setlines Bidgee ACT

Discussion in 'The Hall of Shame' started by Got Buckley's, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    spent a day out on the bidgee today and wish i was posting up some pics of the fish we caught.......... but donuts all round :(.

While we were out i managed to spy a set line that was tucked away and once one was spotted we soon picked out a couple more. Three in total doesnt seem like much but on these three lines was about a dozen hooks. We pulled them out and have informed the people we need to. We waited all day to see if someone would come and check them,hoping we could have a little talk and a few pics taken.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

People doing this sort of crap on a regular basis would have to have a huge impact on the little holes us blokes fish in the ACT :mad:

2. DT

DT New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    maybe you should have left them a little warning message
    obviously they dont no how to fish properly by the rules and regs and maybe dont speak english aswell :)

3. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Found the same in a lower section of the murrumbidgee mate.Only these were made from nylon cord with snapper lead and rubber bike tubes plus hooks big enough to catch sizable sharks.

4. steve611

steve611 New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    What a joke set lines are,if we ever find them we pull em out and get rid of them. These people should learn to fish properly.

5. big gibbo

big gibbo big gibbo

Jul 10, 2009
    You may not have caught anything :(but at least you scored some hooks and sinkers :Dand I hope you burned the line cause thats one thing I hate is coming across old line it just sh*ts me:mad:. You should have left them a note like 'smile your on camera':lol:.
    Gibbo:cool:

6. Norbs

Norbs New Member

May 27, 2008
    F#*kin amateurs!!!

Nice work Buck!

Looking to get out this weekend for a poke – get any hits or enquiries – how’s the clarity?

7. Got Buckley's

Jul 25, 2008
    no hits and murky as mate :( Was a big day and we fished hard, you know what its like when its just not happening, it can be soooo frustrating :wacko: ( payback for them days when you just cant go wrong :lol:) i called it my last run for the season but i think there will be one more :unsure:.

yeah horry and i had a long day to think of all the things we could have done with old mate and his setlines, some ripper ideas but not suitable for discusion on here ;)

8. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Good work on the set lines Buck.

Glad you didn't hit a hot session while I'm not there. :D

BTW, it was a lovely day up at the Gold Coast today. Unfortunately, all work and no time for fishing :(

9. Norbs

Norbs New Member

May 27, 2008
    Unfortunately I know those days very well Buck – you turn you tacklebox inside out looking for the answer only to find donuts…

On the plus side it is an opportunity to swim the lures that don’t usually get a start!! ha.

10. Arn09

Arn09 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Good work guys

11. RoryBenn-Clibborn

RoryBenn-Clibborn New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Disgraceful!

We used to have a few poachers in my old favourite hole! They damn near wiped the place clean after a year or so, its taken a long time to recover but we had a few cracker sessions there last season and im hoping this season will be back to glory days! If i see those damn poachers again ill stick the damn hooks through their lips and see if they like being hung from a fishing line to die like the 100's of fish theyve killed like that.

Shame about the donuts buck! We all know how that feels! I start to go a bit loopy in the head when ive been casting for 10 hours without a strike! Hopefully ill get a quick fish in this arvo after work. Had a crack last night but no luck, im hoping the past todays 17 degree warmth might change that!

12. Got Buckley's

Jul 25, 2008
    well after doing my bit to report what i found the other week it was great to hear some good news coming out of my find. I received an email today from a bloke in the ACT gov, as per below

"Hi Dean
    I just though that I should let you know that as a result of the information you provided. Parks Conservation and Lands has issued a media release regarding the set lines and Murray Cod season closure. Hopefully this will be picked up by the major media outlets"

If any of you were listening to the news reports on the local radio stations this morning there was a report about the cod closed season and also outling that setlines are illegal and the fines involved. So hopefully it may help to educate those who are unaware that they are doing the wrong thing, and maybe make them mongrels think twice about what they are up for if they get caught out. With a bit of luck it might get a start on the local news and the paper.

I also had the pleasure of speaking with Darren, who is our one and only fisheries inspector in the ACT, this bloke is as keen as all of us to catch and stop those doing the wrong thing, but he is only one man and has limited resources and a bit of ground to cover. He mentioned that without the help of blokes like us his job is extremely hard and he appreciates any info that comes his way that may narrow down the search for the poachers. Im not sure if i can hand out his direct number ( ill have to check with him first, ill let you know if I can )

With our little ACT TBX possie all very passionate about protecting what we have, Im sure if we all work together with Darren I reckon we can make a difference,even if it is only a little one, its something.

I will try and get a link to the press release and ill post it

cheers

13. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Good work Buck.

I heard the report about set lines on the wireless this morning on the way to work.

They said to ring Canberra Connect 132281 to report any set lines discovered.

I'd be nice to see those setting em get caught.

14. Got Buckley's

Jul 25, 2008
    yeah call connect was always the place to call, but try explaining to someone in a call centre that you have found a set line, trying get onto the right people in the right gov dept was very frustrating indeed, im sure many would have given up trying.

Im sure that call connect would now have the right info onhand to steer us all in the direction in the future :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  15. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    I heard the news on the radio this morning.Good to hear something said about it.The amount of setlines i find is getting bad.Some of them look like they are intented to catch carp,with a lot of corn used.

16. RoryBenn-Clibborn

RoryBenn-Clibborn New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Great work Dean,

Its great to see a response from the govt and the news about the press release is fantastic!

To tell you the truth i was unaware canberra even had one single inspector. Poor bugger doin it tough on his own though. I hope to see him out on the water one day! It would give me hope for a brighter future in the ACT.

I also found more setlines the weekend before the cod season closed in my local hole. I am not sure whether these people just have the nerve to do these things or whether they are mis-informed. I hope for everyones sake its the later and that they can be educated. But if they are educated and still continue to do the wrong thing then thats just a tragedy. Must be sad souls that obviously dont have the skills to catch a fish in the conventional methods. And even sadder that there is very little chance of catching the poachers in the act.

Fingers crossed something comes along to help rid us of these low lifes.

17. Got Buckley's

Jul 25, 2008
    yea i was unaware myself, as were NSW fisheries when i spoke with them, he is out and about and does his best and as I mentioned any leads we have for him is a start, if we can pass info on it will give him a better idea of where the poachers are targeting. ACT isnt that big so its a matter of time before information thats passed on helps catch the poachers in the act.

i reckon a few of these knobs getting done and some publicity coming out of it would be a great. Get onto call connect and ask for a fisheries officier to call you, that way you can speak with the man himself and im sure you would enjoy the yarn with him.

cheers