1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Silvertstone MT-117

Discussion in 'Camping, Carravanning & 4x4' started by RoryBenn-Clibborn, Aug 5, 2009.

1. RoryBenn-Clibborn

RoryBenn-Clibborn New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Hey fellas/ladies,

I Just bought a new set of tyres for the hilux. Silverstone MT-117's, They are extremely reasonably priced and seem like a great tyre. Has anyone that knows these tyres have any issues with them? Im just generally curious to know. Supposedly they are getting 70-80 000kms out of them which is bloody impressive for a mud terrain.

Cheers

2. hodzy23

hodzy23 New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    no issues here except that bcoz they are bias the sound like a jet engine and if you use them to much they wear heaps

3. RoryBenn-Clibborn

Mar 16, 2009
    Havent noticed too much noise coming from them, But i prepared to deal with the wear in the tyre. they are only cheap tyres so i can afford to pick up another set in a few years time.

4. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    what are they worth a tyre mate? what size you get?

5. hodzy23

hodzy23 New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    my dad paid $1200 with rims for 4

6. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    thats not really a "cheap" tyre then lol, can get bfg mt km2's for 1300 in 33"

7. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    I wouldnt buy them myself.In the same breath i havent used them either.Have been using BFG muddies for the last 4 years now.First set i got just over 60k and they get abused/used very hard nearly every weekend.On my second set and have over 30k.I did look at getting the goodyear wrangler M/T last time but i didnt like the bloke selling them so i got the BFGs.Was also looking at federal couragia but found after asking a few blokes who used them they wear quick and dont grip well on road.Have heard the same about the silverstones.Have never had coopers and have heard good things.My next tyres will be mickey thompson MTZs.

I pay $280 a tyre for the BFG M/T in a 16x235/85.Sunnies will cost you about $30/$40 for 15 inch and around $60 a rim for 16 inch.One thing in your favour is that a hilux is light and wont chew the tyres as quick as my patrol.

8. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Forgot to ask,are they the sport or extreme?

9. TempesT

TempesT New Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I run MT MTZ's... not a cheap tyre esp/ when they are 35'x12.5 but a very very capable tyre offroad and performs better than most muddies on road.

10. RoryBenn-Clibborn

Mar 16, 2009
    Gday fellas,

Im running the Silverstone Mt-117's in 32". They are only $210-$220 a tyre and theyre made by the same rubber manufacturers as BFG. They are a fairly soft compound rubber, but they grip well and are super quiet on the road. They have a similar tread pattern to the BFG's but seem a little bit deeper. Im not too worried if i get only 50,000 out of them because they are quite affordable and they will hopefully be a little safer on the roads than some of your harder compound mt's.

Cheers for the inputs fellas. Much appreciated. Maybe some of us canberra fellas could go for a bash in the brindies sometime.

11. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    how do you find the on road noise wharf with the bfg's, and tempest with the mtz's?????

12. TempesT

TempesT New Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Weeeell you see my truck isnt the best to judge the road noise from. Shes pretty loud with the exhaust and lack of real sound proofing in comparison to my 97 RR.
    [​IMG]
    Having said that MTZ's are pretty much the same if not a little better than most Mud/ road composite tyres. You are suppose to get about 60k out of a set. The real gains that are had with MTZ's are their performance on wet/ greasy / muddy tracks. Drop the pressure and away you go.

Have a search on http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum for more info.

13. Adz

Adz New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Hi fellas,

I own a 2008 GLX-R triton, and am in the process of finalising some steel rims & tyres. I managed to get some 16x6.5 steelies off a current model pajero, with Bridgestone Dueler M/T D673's in 235/85/16...all up $500 for 5 rims & tyres.

Anyway, my point is...I belong to another 4wd forum for tritons & we have a trip coming up in the brindies, so I just thought I would extend the invitation to the local canberra blokes. Feel free to PM me for details.
    Cheers,
    Adz.

14. RoryBenn-Clibborn

Mar 16, 2009
    Sweet sounds good Adz post up the details when u get em. always keen for a bash! Unless im fishing ofcourse...

15. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    I found a awesome track last weekend.Behind blue range.Very greasy.

I dont have a problem with road noise.They arent wide.235/85x16.

16. TempesT

TempesT New Member

Aug 5, 2009
    hmmmm that good of a track wharf?

Im interested... very interested. Next time your out for a wheel or just covering some new ground give us a hoi.:)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  17. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    It wasnt really a planned trip,i just woke up on saturday morning,went and woke my very hung over mate up and went for a drive.This track isnt all that hard for the most part.But the last 200m was straight up rutted out and slimey clay.Ill have to take you there next time its wet.