1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Simple fg knot!

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    Am looking at learning how to do the fg knot. I always thought it was rather complex until I found this video how to tie it the easy way. Was hoping someone who knows how to tie the knot can check out the video. I am hoping they haven't taken any shortcuts.
    Thanks in advance.
    Jim

Ditch, diesel, DeeBeeKay and 3 others like this.
  2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Active Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I don't use Braid Jim always been unsure about tying knots for Braid, it seems an easy knot but I have never heard of the fg knot. I have heard what I thought it was when a Knot breaks though.
    Wally

diesel, DeeBeeKay, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  3. Bluefin

Bluefin Active Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Hi Jim Yes It Will Work. Just make sure the wraps around the leader are firm. they need to bit into the fluro.I finish off with 3 to 4 half hitches , they can undo ocasionally. Not sure how good it is for your Teeth? Howard.

4. Bluefin

Bluefin Active Member

Oct 24, 2016
    This is almost how I tie them, Howard

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Thanks. Wally, whilst I haven't used it myself, the fg knot is renowned for being one of the most reliable knots. I still use mono a lot too...but not on baitcasters.

Howard, I checked out the first couple minutes of your video. Doesn't look too bad. Some videos I have seen you need to be a contortionist to tie it!:( Or it appears that way to me! Will check your vid out in full when I am home and can actually practice the knot.
    cheers
    Jim

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. Bluefin

Bluefin Active Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Patience is needed!!!!! I have tied a lot. but still not all tighten up and bite into the leader. can be very frustrating. Just make sure the criss cross over the leader is firm!!!

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Active Member

Aug 17, 2016
    I use what I believe is called an improved allbright. Ive no idea if its good bad or indifferent but its what I know and so far so good. A while back I bought a tool that was supposed to make tying a certain knot easier but Ive since forgotten the name of the knot and the tool didnt come with instructions so.... shrug..

Ill look at this one when I have more time

Another useful post from me.

8. Sophia Grace

Sophia Grace Member

Sep 26, 2017
    @Rod Bender some videos are always useful to learn as you did with help of this video but one of the most important thing. You also share this video with us that' more better :)

9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Out of curiosity, what fish do you target? You, like me get around! Welcome to the UK forum that you just joined!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    You can never be on enough forums!

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  10. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I used to hate the so-called braid knots. TYoo bloody difficult and involved. So I started to play with other things. Guess what: A slight variation from the old fashioned fishermans knot works a charm and I don't use anything else. It works for joining braid in an emergency, and is great for joining braid to mono leaders. After years of use; I have never seen one fail. It's perhaps, and I don't get technical about that sort of stuff; a mix of the fishermans knot and what I used to call a Duncan loop. Easy as pie too.

Wouldn't use anything else. Noel.

11. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Just had a crack at doing this knot following the instructions in the video. First attempt did not go well but I think I have the hang of it now. Went from 14 lb Fireline to 20 lb mono. Might try it out using a bit of bait before I commit to using it with a lure.

Thanks for sharing the video Jim.

12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I've never been tied into fancy knots. The one I use, perhaps it's a variation of the old time, old fashioned fisherman's knot is simple to tie, and is used in all our fishing. All my fisho mates use it too. A new bloke I met the other day previously used what I think might be the double-double, and that finishes too bulky for my liking. None of our crew has ever had one of our knots fail, and no more than that is necessary. I fish 4lb Fireline in smoke colour, and 6lb Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon leaders. Using two simple variations, and I don't have any special names for them, I join leaders to braid, and if needed, braid to braid. The knots are tiny; can't imagine anything smaller, and I have tied them in the dark many times. The tests I've given them, with the above line weights, on metre long flathead, salmon to 8lb, and jewie to about 80cm, to say nothing of an occasional ray to around 70cm wide, also in our fly fishing, and are more than adequate to my simple mind. Years ago I used it off shore game fishing too, boating marlin to 300lb. How hard can you pull through a fishing rod? That is the question. The clutch should slip before you can break a line, especially if it's set around the recommended 30% of the line test.. Noel

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    diesel, creekboy, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  13. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    As far as I am concerned, the FG knot is one I would tie (when I master it) the night before a fishing trip. Then on the day, if it fails and it shouldn't, then I would go with a knot which is quicker to tie...saving time when one would rather be casting!

Noel, your attitude regarding keeping things simple make sense. I currently use what I think is called a 5 turn surgeon's knot. It isn't too bad. I have tried a couple knots over the last year due to failures and I am just looking for alternatives. On saying that, my current knot isn't to bad but if the fg knot finishes more compact, I will give it a go.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Am I the only one that signs off with these dumb statements?!!!!

diesel, creekboy, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Have looked hard but failed to find anything dumb in there. Please advise. (now that's really a dumb statement)

15. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I was lost when I read this! But then I realise it is in reference to my last sentence...which is in reference to how I usually 'sign off' on my posts!:) On another note regarding this thread, I think a big factor in play with any method used...is confidence! You will go better if you are confident.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Confusing people online is my specialty!:cool:

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I hope you don't think that makes you especially clever. I can confuse myself.

More seriously, you're spot on with your confidence philosophy. It applies in every activity. Few people will attempt things if they don't believe they can succeed. But how do they know? Whether it's a fishing knot or starting a business, confidence is the ultimate stimulus. I don't have a problem having a go at things. I've stuffed up in so many it's almost a way of life.
    Old fisho
    After three lousy wet and windy days; still waiting for my rod to bend!

17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Back in the day when I was serving my diesel mechanic apprenticeship with M.A.N, I watched a truckie at our workshop retying some ropes on a load and I was fascinated with a particular anchor point knot that he tied. It was a complex knot totally different to the standard half hitch used in the transport industry, so I asked him to show me how it was done as I could see that it may even be used for fishing line. In fact, it was indeed a fishing knot that he had adapted for use with ropes.

"This is what is known as a 'Murrumbidgee Frog Knot' he told me.
    "Why?" says me.
    "Why not?" says him, "I grew up in Hay and we fished the 'Bidgee."

I couldn't argue with that logic and so I became a devoted user of the Murrumbidgee Frog Knot. I could try and explain the tying process to you all, but I fear that I would suffer brain damage in the attempt and most of you would also suffer the same fate.

Jeff :cool:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  18. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    A lot of Truckies these days wouldn't know how to tie a rope, or tarp a load. [skills and knowledge lost]

creekboy and diesel like this.
  19. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    You're not wrong, Kev. I don't know about other states, but up here in Qld they will book you for using ropes on a load these days and at times when I have picked up a load of building material (steel or timber) in town with the trailer, I have been told at the yard that I must use ratchet tie-downs to secure the load or they will unload the gear and refund my money. No ropes to be used for securing any loads.

Jeff :cool:

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  20. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Ropes have never been in question in NSW

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.