1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Smoked fish

Discussion in 'Preparation & Cooking' started by wharf, Apr 28, 2009.

1. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    I love smoked fish.Mostly trout.Here is a few pics of my smoker.

Just before the smoking

[​IMG]

During smoking

[​IMG]

All smoked

[​IMG]

2. Timbo

Timbo Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Hey wharf
    Smoked trout is definetly better than just plainly cooked, at least it has more taste;)

3. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    My mate has gone spearfishing this weekend.Old mate said he will bring me back a salmon and maybe a red mowie to try in the smoker.Cant wait.The salmon im not too fussed about but the mowie im keen to see how it goes.The other thing im very keen to try is flathead tails.Next time im down the coast a few bags of flatty tails are coming home with me.

4. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Ive smoked a lot of different types of food.My favourite by far is bacon wrapped marinated smoked king prawns.But marinated rabbit isnt far behind it.

5. CanberraDan47

CanberraDan47 New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    mmm ya making my mouth water wharf. im just about to tuck in to a feed of smoked rainbows caught on the weekend. i gotta try the bacon/prawns- what marinade do u use?

6. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMM now im hungry aswell might go out and get a smoker this weekend's catch lol hopefully.

7. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009

Honey soy and garlic with salt.But i dont use the bottle stuff i make it up myself.

8. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009

Why not make one mate,its easy.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    sounds like a plan mate hopefully you can show me yours when we get to the mountains on 23-24th

10. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Its to big to take up there mate.Its a stainless laundry tub that sits on a gas burner from my BBQ.Ill take some better pics of it if you want.

11. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    cheers that would be great wharf thanks

12. Ned Norton

Ned Norton New Member

Jun 13, 2009
    What do you use to create smoke?

G'day, I'd like to smoke fish but am not sure what is the best type of wood / shavings to use. What do you use? Did I see in your photos whatever you used was wrapped in foil and how long does it take?
    Cheers, Ned

13. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009

Gday ned,there are plenty of different types of smoking materials.From store bought ones like the one im using at the moment,or ones you make yourself.Im using one from bunnings.Its in a light green bag and is made from oak wood,has herbs like thyme and basil in it.Bloody nice flavour too.My favourite home made one is apple box gum.It makes a nice flavour and also smokes really well.You will know what i mean if you have ever tried to get a good fire going with it.Oak,gum trees,birch,most fruit trees herbs

Time it takes to smoke all depends on your smoker and burner.I usualy smoke a full smoker for 45 minutes.You will have to experiment a little until you work out what works best for your smoker.Have you got a picture of your smoker?If i see it i might be able to tell you.I have used a lot of different store bought ones and also home made ones.

The smoke chips in my smoker are sitting in some foil.You can also make a little envolope with foil and punch a few small holes.Another way to make chips smoke well is to soak them in water.They smoke rather than burn.I always line the bottom of my smoker with foil.It is easier to clean out that way.

Hope this helps mate.

tim

14. Ned Norton

Ned Norton New Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Hello Tim, Thanks for your advice. I have a 4 burner covered BBQ and a stainless steel smoking box. I think I'll have to get another one . I have a rack that swings down when the hood is in position and it keeps the fish away from the heat...I only use one burner. But I'll try your suggestion of other types of wood with the the 2 wood containers and try soaking the fish in brine too. Cheers, Ned

15. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    I dont brine fish,prefer to salt them the night before.

16. fisherman347

fisherman347 Active Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Hi Wharf,ever tryed using cherry wood for smoking fish,i have tryed it on various types of meat such as beef & pork and it really complements the meat,just a thought,cheer's Murph....

17. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009

Like i said in my earlier post most fruit trees make nice flavour.