1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

SOFT PLASTICS

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    My grandkids want to fish Lake Eucumbene with plastics; both casting and trolling. I use them all the time at the coast; in fact use nothing else, but trout would be a different ball game. Is someone out there able to give some feedback on how and with what I can get them started? Old fisho

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Far be it for me to advise you, or anybody in fact, on trout fishing, Noel, but from the info I have gleaned in my quest to understand how to catch a trout on spin gear, yellow soft plastics seem to be the go.

Last year, I set out on a mission to catch my first trout and I actually hooked a decent sized brown at Lake Wallace (Wang Dam) near Lithgow, but lost it in my attempt to net it from the kayak. At the time, I was targeting redfin and having reasonable success with 70mm cheap yellow wrigglers that I bought on ebay from China - cost me the princely sum of 50 for $1.20 including postage. I gave some of these sp's to another kayak fisho I got talking to out on the water and he later told me that he had landed 2 rainbows on them, so they seemed to work alright in deeper water.

Jeff :cool:

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Good start Jeff.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I like Jeff can not add much from solid experience. I have not caught a trout on a plastic and would have only a couple hours experience trying! But...all I would say in regards to general tackle is to use the lightest line possible. I use mono but then I am usually using hardbodies. When I use plastics for redfin or whatever I use braid.

I am not sure if you will be fishing around timber but if the area is clear then I would be going with a braid around 6 lb and similar size leader. From memory I think you have chased trout anyway Noel so you are likely aware of this anyway.
    Cheers
    Jim

creekboy, diesel, AJ Fishman and 2 others like this.
  5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks mate. Yes I've fished Eucumbene for over 40 years. Started like many others trolling, then bait fishing with mudeyes. If you're unaware; they are the larvae of dragon flies. Then we started flyfishing and continue to do so. Here I use 4lb braid with 6lb fluorocarbon leaders and am sure that will be excellent in the lake, but the water there is much deeper than here. My guess is the technique would be different, and perhaps the type and size of the plastics will be different too. I'm thinking smaller plastics might be the go. I had a look and there's lots of websites about fishing trout on plastics, but there's no substitute for local knowledge, regardless of the locale. We do a lot of our flyfishing there among the trees, chasing browns, rather than rainbows. They're usually bigger, and seemingly more cunning. Apart from that, the rainbows seem to be more an open water fish.
    Missed your clever closing comment...

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    A round the sticks there's a place for using weedless hooks too.

7. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    One of my mates swears by Berkley powerbait minnows and glow worms in 2" size running a size 4 or 8 hook and a 1/32 jighead. He reckons pink and yellow are the pick colours.

8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Have some of their minnows, but in greens. Oh well, what's another packet? Thanks

9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Hmmm, there's the colour 'yellow' again, Noel. You being a trout fisherman from way back, does the colour also feature in fly fishing?

I often wonder what attracts certain fish species to a particular colour and at times it makes very little sense. Recently, Howard (Bluefin) mentioned that his go to colour when chasing flatties on sp's is green and I can't think of any natural green food that a flathead would eat. From what I have read about trout fishing, matching the hatch is the secret to a high degree of success, so what natural prey is yellow? Grubs? Grasshoppers?

10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    It can depend on where you fish Jeff. At the lake we have the fairly large yellow Snowy Mountains Butterfly, but it's only seen for a short time each season. Trout are keen on them if they're about. Added to that are some of the grasshoppers that are many in summer. Some of them have lots of yellow. But offhand; that's about it in the natural world. In contradicting that; a lot of fly fishing is not matching hatches, particularly in wet flies. To complicate that further, there are flies tied to simulate underwater creatures like the nymphs of different insects, beetles etc. None of those come to mind as being yellow. Then there are the usually larger wet flies that are known as lure flies. many of these are variations of flies originating in NZ, and many follow the style of Mrs Simpsons, Hamills Killers, and in many variations. In a sense; these are not true flies as the do not copy any specific insect or creature. Most of them are fished into the evening and much later, and the movement and shape are the attraction. Perhaps they in some way represent a small fish, but they come into their own during the hatching of dragonflies later in the summer. Colour is less important at night, and one could almost refer to their use (and we use them too) as a form of slow motion spinning. They catch many trout. Noel

11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I just placed an order with a Chinese ebay store for 5 packets of these little buggers - 2cm long. No idea how many to the packet, but going on past experience I would say at least 30.
    Cost: $1.19 per pack including postage.
    ETA: sometime between now and the end of the year.
    yellow sp's.jpg

kev209, creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Howard is like many of us who use lots of green plastic lures. Many small fish have a greenish colour about them, and to my mind is about the most natural colour in water.

13. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Can't get anything cheaper than that. Absolute copies of large maggots. Hope they work for you. 150 will last you about ten lifetimes.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Jeff, thinking afterward as I do, when I should do it at the time; I should have asked the question: While the butterflies and grasshoppers are yellow; I see no connection between them, who fly in the sky, and using soft yellow plastics under the surface, for trout. It would appear that, like many lures, the colour has no understanding to our simple human minds.

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  15. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    The other thing to remember as light absorbtion changes the colour of things in different types of water- so even a relatively clear stream the colours can change depending on depth they are fished... I have seen flouro yellow line turn red in the first few metres in salt water then disappear completely- pink disappears immediately and I think that is why so many game fisho's choose pink Ande line for their Tiagra reels... With that the colours then seem to make some sense as what the fish sees it totally different from what we see as they have light reflectors not refractors in their eyes so they mostly see shapes and not necessarily colours.

16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    That makes a lot of sense. I understand a little of how light refraction can affect colours. It's quite amazing to see my plastics change colours as soon as they're underwater. But it's certainly not with all of them, so different colours have different reactions. Is that how you read it?

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  17. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Yep, there is a light sectrum and different light colours are absorbed at different depths- so essentially yellow and red disappear first then orange, green and blue. Its different in both marine and aquatic environments but you can find some stuff on the web about it.

18. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    There are some funny colored critters out there that can be munched on by fish!
    barred galaxias.jpg
    Barred galaxias...I am not sure how widespread they are but native in the Goulburn system at least. I don't think they are that abundant either thanks to trout and other predators. My color vision is not that flash either so it may be more orange than yellow...me not sure. But I believe it is because of this minnow that the 'firetiger' color works so well at times.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Color challenged!

diesel, Old fisho, AWL and 2 others like this.
  19. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Some wise words. Can you add to it by suggesting how to get around the 'at times' bit. That's my biggest challenge.

diesel, AWL, creekboy and 1 other person like this.
  20. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Not a soft plastic but this is the 'firetiger' pattern.
    Rapala-Lures-CD03_05_FT6.jpg
    Identical to the barred galaxias...no! But close enough as far as I am concerned. People would say this bright color would work well in discolored water and I would say yes as long as the water is not the color of coffee. But...if I were fishing pristine clear water where I knew the galaxias were present, I would happily tie this on. To be honest, most of my trout caught on this lure have been from reasonably clear water in part of the Goulburn system.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Should be working now!

diesel, Old fisho, kev209 and 2 others like this.