1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Swains Reef

Discussion in 'Going Fishing, Travelling?' started by chicka, Jun 6, 2009.

1. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    After much procastination ,it was a toss up between Darwin,Broome,Croker Is.or Swains Reef.My Uncle Vince sealed it with a phone call to Rob Ben Cruises aboard Iron Joy chartered to the reef out of Gladstone 2nd Oct for seven days.
    Counting the minutes.
    When we return will post our diary and pics. Will post some sites down the track of other charters experiences.
    Cheers

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Dam im jealous hope you have a ball

3. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Re Swains

Here's some info from a guy who has been out there over the years aboard the Kanimbla a similar setup with dories.
    Go to the end of this link and click "Home"for his gallery and trips.
    jgharris.com/weston/tecniques.htm
    Cheers

4. big gibbo

big gibbo big gibbo

Jul 10, 2009
    Gday boys,
    Ive been to swains and its bloody awesome. I went last year in Oct on the Australiana and we are going again in may next year. Caught some monsters, my PBs were a 65pound GT(didnt it scream on 50pound fireline),and a 42pound spanish mackeral and even had time to go snorkling/spear fishing for crays. Like I said a bloody top time

5. Bundybear

Bundybear New Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Chicka,
    I know Rob, he is a nice bloke and runs a good setup on the "Iron Joy". The vessel has undergone a complete refit from its ex Gulf Trawler days and is highly suitable to fishing the swains (timber work is nice). The vessel has really well designed dorys (that I believe rob makes himself). Hope you have a good trip.

6. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    G'day Bundy!
    Welcome to Tbx mate,it's a great forum with broad member base.
    Will be in touch.
    Cheers