1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Swimmer dies after boat hit-and-run

Discussion in 'The Hall of Shame' started by Got Buckley's, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    read this one in the telegraph yesterday and seems the poor bloke died last night.

A SWIMMER struck by a speedboat in a hit-and-run crash on the Murray River has died in a Melbourne Hospital.

The 45-year-old Canberra man was critically injured when he was hit by the boat between 9am (AEDT) and 9.20am this morning at Caseys Bend, between Moama and Echuca, 200km north of Melbourne, NSW Police said.
    The man was flown to the Royal Melbourne Hospital but died there shortly before 3.40pm, police said.
    "Police will prepare a report for the coroner and obviously we are still appealing for information about the speed boat and the driver and we are asking that person to come forward and speak to police," a NSW Police spokesman said.
    The speedboat is described as having a white hull, a large black single outboard motor, a ski pole attached to the transom, and a small windscreen on the bow.

It failed to stop after hitting the man and was last seen being driven downstream from Echuca.
    Deniliquin police are investigating.
    Anyone with information should contact Deniliquin police or Crimestoppers on 1800 333 000.

I feel very sorry for the family of this bloke who was just enjoying his holiday. At this time of year wouldnt you be taking it a bit easy when you know theres going to be alot more people in and around the river?

cheers

2. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    I dont like ski boats much.Have been nearly swamped many times by ski boats going flat out right next to me in my punt.Most people i see in ski boats think they own the river and are very aggressive towards other water users.They get a shock when a volley of sinkers is thrown at them.

Very sad news about the canberra fella.Does anybody know his family?

3. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    no mate, but im sure there will be some info to come in the local news.

Im all for people having a ski and enjoying themselves, but it doesnt take much to ease up a bit when you see a little tinny on the water.

4. BootFish

BootFish New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Such a shame. All the best to his family and friends.

5. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    No good, sadly around this area of the murray it's pretty skinny and there is no room for error. I still can't understand why so many ski boats go to Echuca, whereas a place like Wentworth has a huge wide river. Condolences to the family involved anyway and I hope the ski-boat owners fess up.

6. Arn09

Arn09 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Yeah poor bugga's never a good time but especially this close to chrissy. Condolences to all.

7. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    i think they need to have dedicated ski areas in inland waterways with a levy paid by participants to rejuvenate damage done (if it can be done) apart from the above accident there are dangers at speed from floating debri and snags due to fluctuating water levels and natural decay.

I hit a floating log at 630am in the morning in a fishing comp 3 months ago which i didnt see. (no damage done to boat)