1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Tackle Box/Kingston Lures Best Fishing Story Competition

Discussion in 'Freebies and special offers' started by Joffa, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Joffa

Joffa New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    In Conjunction with Tackle box Kingston Lures will be running a Comp for the best fishing experience story wether it be the first fish you ever caught, your biggest fish, the big one that got away, the first time you took your kids fishing or simply just a good fishing story. I and the lovely Mrs Kingston will be judging the winner not that she takes a reel interest in fishing. The prize, their will be a choice of the main prize a Freshwater pack or a saltwater pack valued at around one hundred and forty dollars. Comp will run from now until the 4th of November and the winner will be announced on the 6th of November.

The Freshwater pack Includes: 2 Mad Barry Chatterbaits, 2 of the New Take Two Spinnerbaits, 2 Double D Pro Spin Spinnerbaits, 2 Hydro Buzzbaits, A LureStrike Murray Cod Stubby Holder and a pair of LureStrike stickers.

The Saltwater pack Includes: 2 Mad Barry Chatterbaits, 4 Maxi Vibe Blade Lures, 1 Pack of LunkerCity Pre rigged Sluggos, 1 Pack of LunkerCity Shaker, 1 Fifty pack of American Fishing Wire Might Mini Crane Swivels, A LureStrike Barra Stubby Holder and a pair of LureStrike stickers.

Runner up prize, 1 Mad Barry Chatterbait, 1 Lurestrike Stubby Holder and 1 pair of Lurestrike Stickers,

One Take two spinnerbait & a pair of Lurestrike Stickers for Third Prize

Prices can be veiwed at www.kingstonlures.com.au
    Hope to read some great stories and best of luck to all that enter.:)

2. ambigua

ambigua New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Operation Christmas day big Cod Hunt and Wallaby Rescue

Waking up super early after 3 hours of sleep on Christmas morning dreading the 8am morning shift at work:mad:, then i thought to myself its 5am i can get my boat ready and be on the water at 6am easy:cool:. I was so eager to land my 1st meter plus Cod of the season, as weather the past 3 1/2 weeks of the start of Cod season had been so windy and dismal.

I arrived at the ramp with no breath of wind in the air, the water was like glass with the sun trying to peak out in the horizon, i cranked up both my electrics and made a bee - line to the set of snags that i was eyeing off, whilst frantically rigging up my lures and continuously looking down at my watch counting every min i had left before i had to go to work.

I started casting at the first set of snags then a few cast later i notice something swimming in the distance, thinking to myself this has to be the biggest water Rat i have ever seen, then i started motoring over closer and the i noticed this was no Rat it was a bloody Wallaby swimming in the middle of the lake:shocked:
    I quickly thought to myself oh sh*t now i have to waste my fishing time and help this poor bugger, now the battle was on to get this petrified bloke back on land some how:wacko:. I had just bought a huge Rubber Cod net and said to myself this will have to do, now the plan was to get this bad boy in the net and that's easier said then done. After catching up to this shivering poor thing i had a few swipes at him with the net and it took at least a dozen attempt to keep it in the net with out him continuously jumping out, then i finally had him in net, i then realised i had to drag him through the water about 200 meters to the step bank, this was gonna be fun. Some how i could hold him in the net, film the action and use my bow mount foot control to steer the boat to the bank. My arms were aching as this was a heavy wallaby and i got within 3 meters of the bank then the Wallaby some how pivoted and hopped out of the net then started swimming back to the middle of the lake, d'oh:wideyed: I again caught up to him when he was 50 meters off shore then i tried again and this time i got him back to the bank, then some how i lifted this fella out and watched him hope up the hill and away.

After regaining my breath and the adrenalin dropped i had a look at my watch and thought sh*t only 30mins of fishing left, i raced back out to the snags and started where i left off. Then on the 1st cast my Mumbler was smashed in deep water after a few turns of the handle, with a mighty strike that meant BIG COD, after giving this fish some muscle to keep him out of the snags, he turned his head peeling line and swam in open water to my relief, at this point i was shaking like a leaf, then her big head came to the surface, i took no chances and netting her the 1st time, he was in the net and i let out the loudest come on that would rival Layton Hewitt.

The fish laid in the water upright in the net while i got my camera and tripod ready, after just lifting this beast into the boat i took a couple of happy snaps and she was back in the drink. She swam off with no trouble at all, then i looked at my watch and i had 30mins to get to work.

I rocked up to work with biggest grin on my face, sever bleeding Cod hand and some story to tell. Simply the best Christmas present ever! :D

Watch you-tube videos of the wallaby rescue plus the Cod release below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtzZB_N4p1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aeolBpMEng&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQVMhU9S_zo&feature=related

ps i marked her length on the deck, then measured it after the release, she was 109cm.

Kind Regards,

Romen

3. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    ( Well done on the comp joffa :) , I posted this yarn a while back and thought I would throw it in to help get the ball rolling)

Gday all,

I thought I would share a very proud moment of mine from a few months back when Horry and I thought we drag the boys along for a early morning trip.I pumped my young fella up the night before and all I asked of him was "50 casts first up" and Id be happy because he had a go.

Got there and he was as keen as Horry and myself,and he was away.

First cast,............ "dad,im up the tree" ,

second cast,............. you guessed it, up there again.

I got him sorted and expained to him "very slowly and very clearly" how you dont have to try and break any distance records.....................all to no avail.

He has then wound up and let one rip that launched the little lure like a rocket ( in the opposite direction to where he was aiming mind you )and its split the willows at speed,through a narrow passage of no more than a foot wide and landed about 2 inches off the bank.

Horry and I gave each other the silent nod of approval and watched as the lure dived down, as it cleared the willows we both carried on getting our lures into the water.

When .........." Dad, I think Im on " :wideyed: smashed right at the boat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best thing, after he put this fella back in he said " I want a cod dad" and he didnt stop casting his lure for the next three hours.:)

His first native on lure and I think Brad will have a hard time beating his yella PB and would have outdone many blokes out there with his first. 7yo and the bug has got him and he is now into me is asking "when are we getting up in the dark to go fishing".Great stuff and a day that will be with me for life :)

cheers

4. stormboy

stormboy New Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Here is my funny story, well not at the time anyway.....

Started when my dad bought a new second boat. We headed off up past Tooleybuc a couple of days before cod close to give the new boat a run and drown a few baits. Found a spot to put the boat in but it was a bit steep to back the 4wd all the way down, but we thought we would back it down so far then lift it the rest of the way in. This was all good, got the boat in and headed off downstream to find a nice location. Any way we fished for probably 4 hours without losing a bait which was ok as it was a nice day and only really wanted to test the boat out. We then headed back to the car to load up the boat and head off. This was where all the trouble started. When we got back we realised that the old man had left the lights on in the car:skeptical: ( Not really sure how he did it seeing that the car beeps when the lights are left on). Being about 30 minutes the other side of Tooleybuc we rang RACV and got them to come out and jump start the car.
    While we were wating I thought I would flick a few lures around seeing that there was a nice snag where we were waiting. Did that for about 30 mins while we waited for no hits. The RACV turned up did his thing and left. I chucked a grub on my line and set it up in amongst the nice set of snags while we put the trailer on. We then proceeded to back the car down so that we could put the boat back on the trailer, knowing we didn't want to back to far down as it was a bit steep. The trailer was down far enough so we started whinching it up up. We got it up so far and then realised it might be harder than first thought. The main reason for this was we didn't quite take into account the weight of the new boat. Our previous boat was a 3.5m V Hull with a 7hp Yammy on it, fairly light in comparison to the new boat which was a 4m Dehaviland with a 25hp front steer:embarrassed:
    This is where the problems really started. We were busting our arse trying to push at one end while standing in the water and whinching up at the same time. While I was doing the pushing I slipped and got as wet as a drowned rat, even though it was a nice day the water temp still aint real good at that time of year. So now my anger was really starting to kick in, fuelled by the fact that the oldman was pissing himself laughing:mad: We were finally starting to get some progress when all of a sudden the whinch cable went "snap":mad::mad: Now I thought we were in the ****. All the progress we had made when sliding down back past me. We tied the cable back together and started again. I was busting my arse pushing in the water while the oldman was whinching, when all of a sudden I heard the bell ring on the rod. I looked over my shoulder only to see the rod doubled over and bell ring feverishly:( I couldn't let go and get to the rod so I left it, all the time swearing under my breath.
    Anyway we finally got the boat back on the trailer and headed back into town.

All in all a crap day compunded by the fact that the only bite we got was while I was busting my arse trying to get the boat back on the trailer. Anyway that's fishing......

5. Joffa

Joffa New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Thanks to the guys that have put up a story so far. Here's a a few pics of some of the prizes that are up for grabs. First one is the Mad Barry Chatterbait and the second is the New Take Two Spinnerbait. I'll post some more pics of the other prizes every now and then. Look forward to reading more stories over the next few weeks.
    Cheers

6. chrisso

chrisso New Member

May 6, 2008
    take 2 looks the goods joffa

7. jewiehaven

jewiehaven reelaxation

Jun 17, 2009
    Here's my story:

I went up Nth to Fingal Bay lat year with my Mrs and daughter.

I had fished a few nights in a row to get only a few cockney Bream and some whopper Eagle Rays.

Anyways, it was nearly the end of our stay (the last night) and I made one last ditch attempt to nail a fish.
    Armed with a whole fresh mullet from the fish co-op and soem tasty sand worms I headed down to the corner of the beach next to the rock platform.
    I remember it was low tide and I had about 1kg of prawn heads and shells for berley- so out when a few handfulls with some chopped up bread and a few pillie tails.

Sitting watching the rather small waves in less than 2 feet of water I cast out a worm on a 1/0 baitholder, and decied it was that time of the evening to crack open a beer.
    Into the sand went the rod butt and I ventured back the whole 5m to grab the beer...
    Next thing the whole rod is sitting in the sand with a serious arc and line peeling from it.
    Alas by the time I figured out I was "ON" the fish had already spat the hook with the worm complete and still on it.

So....
    Plan B...
    Decided to wind in and rig up a paternoster with some bigger 2/0 and 4/0 baitholders on, this time with a big slab of the mullet.
    Cast out as far as I could and stood for a few seconds, slowly sipping away at the beer.
    There was a real tiny "tap, tap, tap" on the rod, then is just bucked and line was SCREAMING off my Okuma and before I know it this monster was half way up the beach.
    I had to do something, adrenalin was pumping as I know this was a solid Jew and not the Rays I have caught on previous nights.
    I ran as fast as I could trying to get back the 200+m of 30lb line it had taken in a few seconds, I got about half of it back when I reached the mark and the fish was straight in front of me, about 100m from shore.
    This took me all of about 15minutes to run that far and wind in line at the sme time
    After some massive headshakes at the 20minute mark, the 2nd run was more powerful but much shorter. I was thinkin, ****, I got you now.
    After it stopped the head shakes were again trying to see her set herself free, but I wouldnt let that happen.

Then I did the most STUPID thing and tightened the drag 2 clicks and the PING!

GONE!!!!

I ran back to the tackle bag and re-rigged, chucked on another slab and chucked out in identacle spot as the last cast.
    Same thing happened, the fish came all the way back up the beach, took my second bait and ran for it immediately, then spat the bait.

She never returned after that.

Has to be the most memarable "one that got away" I have ever tangled with- I swear it would have been easy 15-20kg but I'll never know, lol

I was so hyped after that I kept trying but no hookups, I had fished the entire run-in tide and the first of the run out and it was 1am.

Gee I still wonder every day- and I get the goose bumps when I think and talk or write about that encounter- never forget it- will always respect a fish that has both power and looks like a Jew.
    Not once, but twice in the same night is a sepreme effort, but the fish deserved its freedom, it was by far the hardest and fastest fish I have ever fought, and I learned a lot from that lesson-
    *never loose your cool (like I did)
    *fish smarter and fresh is ALWAYS best
    *Berley actually works from the beaches
    *dont drop your digi camer in the sand and get it waterlogged overnight cause it costs a lot of $$$ to replace them.

roflroflrofl

8. capmulan

capmulan New Member

Oct 9, 2009
    I'm very interested! I would love to find out more inforamtion related to this topic. Thanks in advance.
    me too, I need more detailed info

9. Joffa

Joffa New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Capumulan put up fishing story, your in with a great chance to win a great prize.:) Chrisso the take two's are tough twin spin's, maybe not as easy to pack away as normal twins but having two .045 arms makes it a super strong product and with the oversized colorado blades they have a fair thump to them. Still a few more weeks to go, so get cracking with the stories.
    Cheers

10. Joffa

Joffa New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Only a couple of weeks to go, have to be in it to win it.:) A few good ones so far I'm sure their is few more out there!
    Cheers

11. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
  12. Joffa

Joffa New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Nice pics and story wharf.:cool: It doesn't have to be a recent fishing story, just about the good times you have had with either your kids or your mates or a moment you will always remember.:);)
    Cheers

13. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    Not long to go Joffa, You would think with all these yellas on the chew there would be a few more storeys that could win :unsure:

If i didnt already have a bag full of SB's to use Id be posting up a storm :lol:

cheers

14. Joffa

Joffa New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Bucks
    Only one day to go, a little disappointing but them the breaks everyone is out fishing instead of getting square eyes in front of the puter. I might be heading off to catch some of those yellas myself over the next day or two, giving up some prime wp bay fishing time. Some great prizes up for grabs so might extend the comp for another two weeks if it’s ok with admin. ;)
    Cheers

15. RyKnOw

RyKnOw New Member

Sep 16, 2009
    First trip to the Goodradigbee

Hi guys. here's a story i posted bout a month ago in plastics for trout thread. might as well throw it in the mix. I've been in canberra not too long and with trout season opening on the weekend thought i'd give somewhere close a shot as i only had half to 3/4 of a day on monday up my sleeve. decided to head to the goodradigbee. expecting a rough drive in the wet was suprised when i rolled up in just over an hour and keen as mustad jumpd outta the car and hopped on down the river whilst looking for some likely water ahead through a few casts in a skinny reasonably fast section that i had come to. what do ya know 2nd cast bang. wtf is that i remember thinkin, as i was not ready for one that soon, with a vertical leap of about chest height out comes a cracker little rainbow and after a good fight on 4lb line i pulled him out... 31cm. good start. back in he goes and off for some more.;) about an hour later another one on, but only to unhook himself as he leaped from the water. here is where it gets tough.:dull: 3hrs goes by see another 3 fish follow in but no takers, several changes of lures, rain fairly heavy setting in, a few k's under the belt, and i decide to make a change back to the first fish taker (2" power bulky hawg in pumpkinseed by berkley) i turn around to through a cast in when, to my suprise a rainbow slaps a bug off the surface 20cm from my feet. first cast and just as my lure is about to leave the water outta nowhere he come and takes a swipe... misses. three cast later and a slower retrieve and bang were on again, finally. i end up taking 4 in about half an hour here and had an absolute ball.:lol: 4 fish hooked but missed, 3 fish seen following in, 5 fish landed 29, 2x30, 31, 32, all fish well conditioned bar the 29cm version who was a bit skinny and didnt put up much of a rucus. all fish hooked and landed were on 2" berkley power bulky hawgs in pumpkinseed with 1/16 jig with size 6 hook.

16. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
  17. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    I thought i would add this mornings effort.

I was on the water at 6am this morning with my good mate Bartos.Trying a new lure which is fairly large and looks just like a redfin i thought if i get anything its going to be big.And not long after that while jigging the lure bang,i was on.The lure jerked to a stop with a lot of weight then 2 headshakes and it was on.I didnt realise how big it was really until i looked at my rod then backed off a bit.After 4 minutes the big fella was starting to give me colour and then i saw how big it was.GEEZUS CRIST GET THE NET.I didnt get any pics of this fish.But did get some video of the release which is uploading as i type.This fish was at least 4 inches wide at the guts.My hands usually make fish look small but not this one.My first yella for the spring and this end of the year,plus its my biggest to date.I estimate it was well over 65cms and at least 10 pounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNRycssdC_E

18. stormboy

stormboy New Member

Jun 26, 2009
    And the winners are:wideyed:

19. Joffa

Joffa New Member

Jan 27, 2007
    Sorry Guys
    The comp is still running until the 27th of Novemeber and the winners will be announced on Monday the 30th. So keep those stories coming.
    Cheers Joffa

20. dave.c

dave.c Davo

Jan 11, 2009
    cool , that will give me a chance to put something together