1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Taking my nephew beach fishing this friday arvo

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by reelaxation, Oct 30, 2017.

1. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    I have been keen to get a fishing buddy for some time, and although I am happy when I am running solo I decided to hit up my nephew for a round of beach action chasing 'ting, bream and salmon this friday arvo/night. He has never fished the beach so I offered for him to "borrow" some of my kit and if he really digs it then I plan to buy him a nice combo (10 foot rod with Shimano baitrunner) and a couple of species kits for the 'ting, bream and flatties.

So we hatched a plan yesterday arvo- I will pickup a shitload of live beach and blood worms for the 'ting and bream, and some pillies and yakkas for the salmon and if we are lucky get some taylor in the mix... We will head out around 5pm and fish until around 11ish depending on current and the tides- but according to the weather man this friday should be a cracker tide wise- high tide around 9pm peaking at 1.7m with light ENE winds dropping to 8knots around the time of the tide change...

I sure hope the fish are on the chew- after the recent rain we had late last week the system should have gotten a good flush out and hopefully the offshore winds will take most of the weed away from the shore and give us a chance to sneak in stealth mode next to the reef amongst the kelp beds for some kidney slappers and stonker breambos.

Some great reports coming up form the northern beaches with salmon hitting bait and small metals- and a good run of honker bream to 50cm+ has been reported on the other side of the Hawkesbury River- so I am hoping these reports will continue and my area will start to produce similar catches in the coming week or so.

On a side note- I have just packed the car with a whole bunch of plastics, jig heads, poppers, stickbaits and hard bodies in the hope I get a chance to flick some around Lake macquarie during my lunch break at work, but more to come on that once I get an open window to head for a flick.

Will post up a report over weekend if we get amongst some fishies

Tight lines lads

Anthony
    :p

2. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Best of luck with the trip :cool:

creekboy, kev209 and reelaxation like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Sounds like a good plan Anthony and I hope that the fishing gods are kind to you.

What part of Lake Macquarie do you fish?

Jeff :cool:

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Gwandalan, Summerland Point, Chain Valley Bay ATM as I have customers in those areas and are fairly easy to get to. I have fished up Wangi Wangi and around Pullbah Island and Swansea in the boat a few times and LB so I have some options- depending on how much time I have during the day but at least I know I can go for a flick if I get time which is great

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Good luck. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I like that bottom end of the lake Anthony, I've got family living at Awaba and whenever I get down that way I try to do a few trips out around Pulbah or have a bit of fun chasing chopper tailor near the old Rathmines flying boat base.

reelaxation, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    So on Friday I bit the bullet and bought the nephew his own 9' beach rod and gave him a baitrunner reel to go with it, but had no line so I "loaned" him my stradic 4000 which is still new and off we went- armed with some slimeys, a whole mullet and a bunch of tube worms.
    The beach was beautiful no weed and we got the pick spot next to the reef.
    I showed him how t bait up and off we went casting into the blue yonder- first cast I nail a nice fat 38cm "ting and backed that up with a 30cm modem (released).
    The nephew couldnt hold in the hole so we upped the lead and he was fairly happy got lots of bites but no hookups.
    Eventually my jew rod which I was fishing for Taylor with some big strip baits started dancing around and the baitrunner was peeling drag- I told him to grab the rod and set the hook!... He handled the big rod like a natural and pulled in his first and bigger fish a 50cm Taylor.
    We dropped a few more after that time and also lost some cracking 'ting on the light rods but we drank beer and chatted in the gloomyconditions until the wind got the better of us and we packed it in and went home...
    Next thing he says to me "So when are we going again- next week?"
    ... My reply "Next time the tides are good we will come again"
    And I gave him that stradic in the next sentence- I wont ever use it and I know he will take good care of it (he was super stoked)
    I recommended him my bait supplier and gave him a good amount of species kits and some good quality braid and some leader to keep him going... Happy chappy :D
    Next outing we will try again, he has a list of species now including:
    35cm Bream
    60cm Flatty
    Shark of any kind
    Mulloway
    + he is interested in going deep see so I suggested save his coin and get on a charter- I will likely accompany him on it and he can learn the ropes- shame I no longer have the boat as we would have ticked off the bream, Flatty and Shark in a single outing...
    Needless to say he loved beach fishing and in a pristine location like Broken Bay overlooking Lion Island and across to Palm Beach is damn hard to beat and the fish is just a bonus.
    No piccies but I promised him next time I will get a few to upload.

Till next outing... Tight lines

Anthony
    :p

creekboy, AWL, Ditch and 2 others like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Top stuff Anthony, you're a good man.

creekboy, kev209 and reelaxation like this.
  9. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Great report :cool:

creekboy, reelaxation and kev209 like this.
  10. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Excellent report. Keep up the good work. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.