1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

'Talk Wild Trout' Conference 2017!

Discussion in 'Fishing in Victoria' started by Rod Bender, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Yep, it is that time of the year! I will be attending along with AJ and another Sheppartonian...or two! The event is this Saturday so I will do a report soon after and I must say, my favorite fishing is done chasing natives so I will be attending as a 'double agent'!
    cheers
    https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fishing/talk-wild-trout-2017
    Team Bender
    Trust no-one!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    AJ Fishman, AWL, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Jim. Looking forward to the report. Cheers. creekboy.

kev209 likes this.
  3. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Will look forward to your reporting back from the event there roving reporter rod bender:D

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. AJ Fishman

AJ Fishman Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Can't wait Rod Bender

5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Been there...done that! AJ, myself and another mate made the trip to Mansfield today in 'Blue Thunder', the high powered VY Commodore! It was a hot day...and apparently the air-con industry has not reached Mansfield at this time!:mad:

John Hayes, a New Zealand research scientist presented his findings from his research into his favourite fush! Apparently there is a lot of river degradation that occurs in NZ that is not publicised very much. As with other speakers this year and last...we have to improve the trout's habitat.

Data provided by electro-fishing was presented in regards to the current 'health' of certain rivers. Basically, whether fish stocks were improving or decreasing. Some of the findings are as follows. Brown trout spawned in 6 of the 12 rivers being monitored. The Jamieson River had poor levels of spawning for the first time in 3 years. The Ovens River had no spawning that could be detected.

Rainbow trout spawned in 4 of 7 priority rivers. No Rainbow trout spawning occurred in the Goulburn River tailrace.

'Scores' were applied to rivers surveyed taking into consideration aspects like fish numbers, size and 'multiple year classes'. One of the highest ranking ratings went to the Howqua River. The Goulburn below Eildon rated a 'moderate'.

An alternative stocking method was discussed. This has been trialled with good results. It involves placing eggs in incubators then locating the incubators in appropriate locations. This has been successful so far and the hope is that this produces fish that are more resilient. As mentioned last year, stocking of trout in rivers appears to be a waste of time! Thoughts are that the fish produced in farms for stocking are domesticated to a point and can not survive.

A data collection program, 'My Catch' was spoken about. This is hopefully going to be introduced to obtain catch data from fishing clubs. This would then give fisheries an idea if their strategies and stockings were working.

Work has been done to ascertain if we are overfishing the trout. This was carried out in the upper Goulburn basin. Techniques utilised involved interviewing members of the public who were camping in the area. Fish were also tagged with different types of tags to determine the survival rates of the fish. Some fish had tags which, if caught and reported by anglers to fisheries, was worth $100 to the angler. FFS, if I had of known I would have went after them all! I am not sure if the tagged fish had to be alive or dead but it was a way of determine what percentage of fish were captured. Other fish were released with tracking devices to determine their fate. Compliance records from fisheries officers were also looked at and it appears as though the fisheries are not being pillaged!

Most of us know that Eildon gets a gazillion fish stocked into it. Some of these include trout and research was done to see if any of these fish move up into the rivers. It appears that not many trout stocked into Eildon do move up into the rivers.

Newer methods of marking stocked fish were discussed, rather than relying on fin clipping. New methods involve barium isotopes marking of newly hatched trout larvae in the hatchery. It was explained but from memory...the fish can be scanned. Perhaps the fish may glow in the dark! As for the the fish eggs reared in stream in the incubators, dna samples of the parents will be taken and these samples can be matched from dna samples taken from fish gathered during electro fishing sessions. The purpose of all this marking...after stockings, fisheries do their electro fishing surveys and they need to know what floats up to the top, is is stocked or wild!

Anyway, at about this time I was ready to keel over in the heat and had had enough! And then came the final, and best presentation...Jon Clewlow, 'An expensive trout'! This was a talk about how he got hooked on fishing after catching his first trout as a youngster. The amount of money that then had to be spent on the hobby! Well, not really but yeah, some of us spend in excess! One of the funniest presentations I have ever heard and a great relief after being exposed to an overload of graphs and data for the day! In closing, he said it is all worth it for the calming effect that fishing has on us.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Patiently awaiting my invitation to talk at next years event!

6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good report Jim.

Just out of curiosity, is catch & release practised widely with trout fishing, or are most of the fish caught destined for the table?

Jeff :cool:

7. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Thank's for the very comprehensive report under what must have been trying conditions there bender:cool::cool:

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Many fishos, especially fly fishos release their trout. Of course others keep them.

I forgot an important point from the talks. The executive director was sidetracked and spoke about natives for a few minutes. They are going to have to create another fish breeding facility for natives, especially for yellas, in...wait for it...northern Vic!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Currently busy writing a proposal to fisheries to locate said breeding farm in dam at work!

AWL, diesel, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  9. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Excellent report, Jim. In reply to Jeff, mine end up on the plate, (when I catch one). Cheers, creekboy.

Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  10. AJ Fishman

AJ Fishman Member

Oct 27, 2017
    It was a great day at Mansfield but it was way to hot for my liking.:)

AWL, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.