1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

The bold and brave?

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Wally, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Wally

Wally New Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Bloody silly I call it this snake was killed at the back door by our neighbor 7 kms away with a spade. Wait for it she is a widow and 74 years of age. She is as thin as the snake. A brown 57 inches long by the way. It’s not very big for Autumn

9074E794-2665-4F0C-B8FB-C106310FA10A.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  2. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    They are the one thing I'm s##t scared of. The only good one is a dead one M.O.O

3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    gday all , I just say good old aussie sheila and no doubt took it in her stride ....

so far in this place (15 years) I have dispatched 3 snakes 2 tigers one

one copper head one tiger was shot as my son 13 at the time was in the back yard

the others seen the shovel .

cheers TAC

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    We killed hundreds over the years when we grew up in western Vic. They were usually shot when we went hunting them as young blokes. My youngest brother once beat me with 54 one summer. I killed about 40 most years. We'd probably go to jail for it today. Found a 5' black lying on the back lawn here last year, and as our young neighbours have two small kids, it had to go. When asked by another green inclined neighbour what I did with it, I said I kept it still with a length of plastic tubing, then got it in a bag to be taken away from the housing area. I was much lauded for this environmental response. I did not lie. I did use plastic tubing to keep it still (as in dead). I did put it in a bag (plastic), and it was removed from the area (in the bin). But sorry; I think a shovel is one of the worst weapons you can use on snakes. Up at Eucumbene were there are lots of blacks in particular, we keep a 5' length from an old boat Teleflex steering cable handy. One hit and they go nowhere. The one on the back lawn here was taken out with a length of plastic electrical conduit. These sort of things are flexible to a point, and as such, bend to fit the shape of the ground, and cover a good length if the snake is moving. A shovel is rigid and relatively small at impact point, even though it does have disastrous results for the offending snake if you hit it. But nothing equals a good gun shot, which I can no longer do. We found that by putting a load of shot into the ground, right under their head; they simply lay stretched out on the ground and never moved again. There was no damage to them externally, but the concussion must have played hell with what was in their heads. It was quite amazing.

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  5. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Noel. Over many years of shooting the old 410 seemed to do the trick and less messy than the 12gauge. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    How ya doin' Lyall?
    Can imagine that. Once had a 16g, but have never a 410, but have of course used them. The softer 16g was a lovely quail gun. The 410 is graded as a rifle bore, not a shotgun's gauge. 12g was the number of ounces weight of a lead ball to fit that size bore if my vague memory these days goes back that far.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    A bloke I worked with when I was an apprentice, a very keen fisho, had a 410 cut down and chromed. The stock was modified to a pistol grip, a Roo skin holster, and it looked as if it had come out of the factory that way. I saw plenty of B&W photos of the fish he caught and the snakes he shot.

creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Hi Kev, That would make a devastating pistol/handgun, but I wouldn't want to be caught with it today. You wouldn't want chromed barrels for a hunting gun would you? I shot trap with a guy called Ray Parker, and he had his rather expensive browning trap gun barrels chromed. I didn't like being on the lane beside him they were so bright and in your face.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Lyn and I had a small Security business some time back. I had a Winchester Defender 8 shot pump action [actually they were 7 shot with 1 in the spout, but sold as 8 shot] one of the other blokes I did a bit of work with had the Defender Marine, same gun but had a stainless barrel etc. A friend of his was a French Polisher and did all the wood. It looked great, the only trouble was everyone wanted to buy it.

creekboy and Old fisho like this.