1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

The Fluorocarbon Myth

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by diesel, Aug 1, 2017.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    creekboy, AWL and kev209 like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I will still stick with good old mono. Cheers, creekboy.

AWL and kev209 like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I think I have read this before and will check it out when I have time. On face value, I think there may be some situations where using flurocarbon as leader may be beneficial. But as it was pointed out to me by another angler...unless you are fishing crystal clear waters, then it is pointless. As in if fishing slightly discolored waters, then the fluro will look out of place and be easier to see from the fish point of view. This easy explanation is enough for me to use mono in most freshwater situations.
    cheers
    Team Bender

4. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    +1 for mono I was using flouro for years and then went back to mono, it's more abrasive and he's better stretch IMHO. If flouro was cheaper I would use it a bit more regularly but I fish the beaches and I don't notice any difference in bite or catch rates compared to mono, if anything I think I generally catch more fish when I use mono esp bream, whiting and dart which feed in close to the reef edges and around the white water.

AWL, creekboy, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sophia Grace

Sophia Grace Member

Sep 26, 2017
    This is good Idea to share link with people for technical details that more people can know well!

kev209, creekboy and Madfisher like this.
  6. Madfisher

Madfisher Active Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I would have to disagree ,sorry guys. ON crystal clear waters like Eucembene I was fishing next to my wife using the same flies, the only diff, she was using Maxima tippet, I was using a fluro, I had four trout to her one, I suggested I tie on some fluro tippet for her, and bingo her catch rate matched mine. Next day my good mate Wayne fished with us, we using fluro ,he using maxima, exacting the same scenario as the day before.
    His Son was coming down next day and he begged us not to tell him about the new wonder leader, as his son all ways out fished him. This year he reckoned he had and ace up his sleeve.
    Cheers Pete

7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm a fence sitter with this, Pete, some say that fluro is as good as it is cracked up to be and others say it makes very little or no difference to catch rates whatsoever. Historical evidence would suggest that catch rates were just as good back in the "pre-fluro days" as they are since it came onto the scene, but that approach lends itself to a "Luddite" attitude to the evolution of technological changes that have improved the way we fish.

I guess it all depends on the application more than anything else - it works with some fish in certain types of water and makes no difference in other situations.

Jeff :cool:

8. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    While I use flouro here; I sometimes wonder if it makes any difference. If we could have two lures on one line, one on mono and one on flouro, then we'd perhaps be able to make a considered judgement. However; I agree 101% with Pete when he speaks (wisely as usual) of the sheer transparency of Eucumbene water at times. There I have only used fluorocarbon for years and am convinced it makes a difference. Noel.

kev209, diesel and Madfisher like this.
  9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    In reconsidering the above comment; perhaps a major factor at Eucumbene is that I know Pete speaking of fly fishing. Regardless of whether fishing wets or dries; the fly, if moving at all, is moving very slowly in comparison to other lure types. This means the fish has the opportunity to look longer and harder than with some lures that perhaps use a reflex response, which is somewhat quicker and instinctive. I've had big browns follow a wet fly for the length of a cast, to finally take it when their back was out of the water, a metre or so from land, and only centimetres deep. What think you Pete?

kev209, diesel and Madfisher like this.
  10. Madfisher

Madfisher Active Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yes I agree Noel, I am convinced it makes a diff on Euc, we trialled it over several days using the same flies on Mono and Fluro. In the end no one wanted to be the guinea pig using Mono. I found in Euc to get more hooks up on Mono it was necessary to go to 4lb, something a reflex striker like me finds a bit hard, esp with fast action rods.
    The other advantage with fluro in my eyes is the quicker sink rate of the flies in the clear water. And the main reason for using it in the beginning.
    Thanks for the kind words Noel, pretty wise your self.
    Cheers Pete

kev209 and diesel like this.
  11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Enjoy your great holiday Pete. I use 3lb tippet, but through a #5 rod, so it's hard to get a break off on strike. I'm also a reflex fisher. I see no need to wait for three seconds or whatever. If you feel it, it has the fly in its mouth.

kev209 likes this.
  12. Madfisher

Madfisher Active Member

Aug 14, 2016
    LOL, yes but I have and over developed right arm lol,mine you 20 to 30 years ago for some reason we where all using 8wts. 5wt tfo bvk is my fav big water trout rod now,might use the 6wt in high winds.
    Thanks for the best wishes mate.
    Cheers Pete

kev209 likes this.