1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

TILT BOAT TRAILERS

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Old fisho, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I have almost always used a tilt trailer but I rarely see anyone else use one these days. I know mine is almost 50 years old but consider that irrelevant. I realise modern boats have generally become more highly powered and of course the larger ones can be driven on; but there are still many with smaller motors that won't do that job. With the tilt I don't have to be so deep into the water and it makes winching on easier too if you boat is on the heavier side. Because of the medical issues I have for years used an electric winch and the tilt again makes it easier on the winch. Any thoughts or ideas? Noel.

Bluefin, Madfisher, diesel and 3 others like this.
  2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    gday Noel I think what you are doing is about all you can .... I figure that a lot of the water access inland is very shallow not like here on the coast .
    I have a small boat (14 1/2') but it does have a 40hp Honda on the back before that a 12'10" with a 25hp 2 stroke
    and deep access everywhere .
    even if you got a trailer set up to drive on you would still need 2' to 2 1/2' of water to launch and retrieve the boat without getting the car wet , I do remember 30 od years ago when I was a wandering fisho sometimes we would launch tinnys in 6" to 18" of water so if there is a better way than a tilt trailer I would love to know as well .....

cheers TAC

Bluefin, Madfisher, creekboy and 3 others like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Most of the trailers I see up here are tilt, especially when you get inland. Tinnys under 15 ft are still the most popular boats in Qld whether it's along the coast, the dams or any of the western rivers and having the tilt option certainly makes things easier and safer, especially in croc infested northern waters.

Jeff

4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    The boat here is also 14'6" and has a 40 Evinrude on board TAC, along with a 54lb electric on the bow. (Have another on Lake Eucumbene) It once had a 35, but the 40 was fitted about six years ago and has been terrific. That extra 5HP made a huge difference. The first Water Snake electric failed a few months out of warranty. Jarvis Walker still repaired it for me. The same problem happened three times, and they paid all the freight costs etc as well as repair costs. It was four years old when the last fault occurred and Jarvis then offered to replace it with a new motor. How good is that? It's now three years old
    and has never missed a beat
    . Running on a dedicated 110AH gel battery; I can fish almost three days without charging and it runs most of the day. Gel batteries don't reduce the overall weight either. They are much heavier than others. Because it's really ancient the Brooker hull is heavy beyond belief. Guess it must be close to 2mm thick, so the tilt is a big asset. I don't mind it being old. I rebuilt it almost 20 years ago as
    a purpose built boat for this
    estuary. It still does as expected; so I guess it works. I also often say I've never seen a boat catch a fish yet. Noel.

Bluefin, diesel, Tackleberry and 2 others like this.
  5. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    G/day Noel, in 1976 I put a tender in for a fisheries trailer, which I won. They had a heavy runabout on it, but I just wanted to put my old starcraft 14 footer on it. Yes it was great, kick the tilt and it would slide straight off, You just had to make sure the motor was all the way up lol. I think now they are illegal. My current 4.3m boat is much heavier then that old starcraft at 280kg and I often tie the bow rope to the post and touch the brakes to get it to break a bit.
    Cheers Pete

creekboy, Bluefin, diesel and 2 others like this.
  6. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Noel I hear you on the weight thing as my tinny has a 3mm bottom and 2.5mm plate sides
    and side decks it is as ridged as a glass boat no twist at all like all my other tinnys over the
    years .

creekboy, Madfisher, Bluefin and 3 others like this.
  7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Yeah TAC. That's likely what mine is. I just picked some numbers without checking. It's no doubt an older form of marine alloy as it's also much harder than the sheet we would buy today. It certainly doesn't twist some like newer boats. I've watched a few move noticeably if you cross a decent wake with a bit of power on.

8. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    I have a take down trailer, Carry it on the back of a camper . It has a tilt option by taking a bolt out. But have never used the tilt, may have to take the bolt out and try it. !! I usually launch in shallow water.

9. blair

blair Active Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I once had a tilt trailer under a seafarer vsea,worked really well I think they may not make them anymore more to cut costs. I would still have that boat if it wasn't so unstable at rest, it was a rocket whith rebuilt and properly jetted 70hp evinrude.
    I wouldn't mind a tilt trailer under my 4.6 meter webster bassmaster, just rebuilt the arse end of the trailer forward to the axle out of 316 stainless. 90hp etec pushes it onto the trailer if I want to.
    cheers

kev209, Old fisho and creekboy like this.
  10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I emailed Roads and Maritime to get qualification on the legal status of tilt trailers. I image if they are so-called illegal; like other things; they probably are not retrospectively. If you have one you can keep it; but can't replace it. I don't know that yet. Hope for a reply tomorrow.

11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Re Roads and Maritime enquiry.
    The answer is short.
    They are perfectly legal p
    rovided they are built to normal standards for boat trailers.

Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  12. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Both my Haines and my Vickers were sitting on tilt trailers- the Vickers you had to remove a bolt and the Haines was on a factory tilt which tilted on its own. I only ever had to use the tilt function once in the Haines in shallow water and it made recovery much easier than backing the trailer off the ramp @ Gosford. After that I use the ramp @ Koolewong which was a bit deeper and also shorter- so I never needed it but for that one single time.
    As far as I know tilt trailers are definitely still legal in NSW, and even though drive on trailer are becoming more popular with glass boats I still prefer to winch up by hand... There is something about driving on that I just think isnt quite right, ive seen blokes drive on and punch holes in the bottom of their boats because the wobble rollers or guide rollers arent positioned right and they can also do other samage from the rubber which marks the gelcoat.

Madfisher, kev209 and Old fisho like this.