1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Tiny Fish and A Surface PB

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Michael, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Well driving to the lake this morning .I was trying to work out the wind direction.Ended up heading to one of my favourite spots.
    Waded out to calf deep water and thinking the wind was at my back I cast my surface popping fly .In truth the wind was blowing very strongly over my left shoulder and forcing my fly very close to shore.
    Any way compensating for this while not easy could be done.And I was on my way .
    Sixth cast in and I wish I had brought some bread crumbs .This little bream was just hooked through the lip .Rather embarrassed at this fish but meh
    [​IMG]
    I took its picture on the lid of the container I use to store my digital camera just an idea of size.
    And I took this extra shot to try and show the popper fly !!
    [​IMG]

So while this didn't inspire me with greatness I continued on.Once I got to the end of this beach the wind was so bad I headed to the next beach.Well rocks to be exact.While
    I was still getting fish finger sized fish to jump not in the numbers of the first beach but still it gave me hope.At this point it was hard to see my fly on the water surface .And the wind was a pushing the fly .Plus I was slipping tripping over rocks etc.
    When I actually saw a small school of bait fish swim through and I thought .Lets keep the fly moving for awhile.
    BANG or BAM
    Bait fish sailed through the AIR !!! my line gave a nice tug .I started stripping line in and thought bit of weight there not fish finger sized fish!! So I let the Fish (didn't know what it was at that stage) run and started reeling the line in.She looked a nice Bream in the water and she went for three runs all up .and I landed her among some rocks.
    [​IMG]
    I took a few pictures this was the best one or in other words the only one that worked.
    She measured 25 cms to the fork and was a fat little fish .
    And that was it nothing else troubled me but I was stoked a PB on the Surface (not my biggest Bream on a fly )
    Great way to spend a windy morning in Adelaide !!!
    Yes I know a sane fly guy would have been home in bed ;)

2. mitchmcm

mitchmcm Member

Feb 2, 2010
    but a sane fly fisherman wouldnt have caught the fish hey

3. CanberraDan47

CanberraDan47 New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    nice work Michael, top effort for sticking it out in those conditions that would send most guys (including myself) home for a beer!!! :)

4. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006

5. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Nice one Mick!
    Cheers

6. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
  7. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Great stuff Mick.
    Yeah I read all your posts mate,including that one.Isn't it funny when you go back say 2 yrs,and you see how far wev'e come in developing our personal style of fishing,even if at times the family thinks wev'e gone starkers and become obsessive!
    Even my missus says "What are you up to now,and how much was that".
    I reckon they just don't get it!!!
    Keep up the good work !

8. Mickkk

Mickkk New Member

May 16, 2009
    well done on the Pb, i cant wait until i get out there and catch my 1st fish on fly

9. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    cheers again guys
    And chicka I am so addicted its not funny lol

10. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    i dunno what it is about fishing it just addicts some and confuses some, i have been addicted pretty much from when i first started, am hoping to learn how to flyfish one day. (another thing i have found my self addicted to is this site its great). :)

11. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    I'm hoping this winter or during footy season or if u like when the bream wont take a fly .To actually try for Trout in some dams owned by the club I have joined .
    Until then its Bream bream and hopefully more Bream maybe some Salmon or mullieway if i ever get good enough .

12. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    where abouts do you live?

13. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Port Adelaide Area of Adelaide .;)

14. pressy boy

pressy boy New Member

Feb 3, 2010
    ok thats a fair distance from here i think the closest ive been to adelaide would be about half way.