1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Victorian Barra ?

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Bluefin, Aug 11, 2018 at 2:08 PM.

1. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    What happened to the power station Barra ?

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Probably like Hazelwood, GONE. Cheers, creekboy.

diesel, kev209 and Bluefin like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    As soon as it was announced that Hazelwood would shut down, the barra project was destined to fail without the warm water from the power station.

Jeff

creekboy likes this.
  4. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    I fish did a segment on it, I wondered if they kept it open. But no hope !!!!!
    What a tourist attraction !!!!

creekboy likes this.
  5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Which caused an uproar as the 'IFish' segment took place in a section of the lake where anglers were not allowed to fish! Fishing was spasmodic apparently in locations where anglers were allowed to go.

Fisheries copped a lot of flack over this. Funnily enough, the group that pushed the idea did not cop any flak! On saying that, good on them for putting the idea forward and they did make the suggestion many years ago. And good on fisheries for doing something about it...albeit too late. Had it have been acted on years ago, we would have got more out of it.

I think the original concept was put forward by the 'Futurefish Foundation'. Their website should be updated as the goal of Barra being introduced into Hazelwood is still on top of their list!

barra.PNG
    Here is the link for the above page but when I click on 'more details', nothing comes up that is relevant.
    http://futurefish.com.au/

I have not heard much about how the fishery is going now and that tells me that it is not going that well!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Never really saw what everyone was on about with this from the start!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 7:45 AM
    creekboy, kev209 and Bluefin like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I wasn't aware that there was an underground supply of warm water. I guess if they keep restocking then the project might be viable. There are various impoundments in southern Qld where the water temp drops to a very low level in winter, but the stocked barra survive okay.

I could never work out why they chose barra over cod for the Hazelwood project though. Makes more sense to stock with a species that will live and breed in that environment rather than one that needs saltwater to spawn.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    The idea of being able to catch an iconic Barra in Vic Is very appealing. Tourist's would flock there !!

kev209, Madfisher and diesel like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I think you could be right there, Howard.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.