1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Weather forecasts??

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    How do forecasts affect you guys?
    Can you gauge, based on forecasts, whether or not to go fishing? It's become confusing down here, where once you could bet on it. While there are many internet options available, all purport to get their info via BoM. It should therefore be fairly accurate. Down here, it's often a total opposite.
    At time SE winds are forecast. These come in off the sea and are not so good, and SW winds can make the lake rather unpleasant. It's better to stay home. Then the days turn out sunny, with light to calm winds, meaning perfect conditions.
    Locally, yesterday, we were told of 100% certainty of a minimum of 100mm of rain. We got half that amount. It also predicted winds of 75km/h during the afternoon. At nearby Moruya airport, where the weather station is sited, it recorded 35km/h, and here would have been lucky to reach 15km/h. Apart from the rain, the lake would have been in good condition.
    There are hundreds of similar examples; these are only a small sample.
    How do you find it?

2. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    As I do a lot of trolling the wind plays a big part in deciding whether to go fishing or not. A light breeze is of no concern but if it is blowing a bit harder it makes it more difficult to control the boat as well as using more battery power on the electric trolling motor.

The first thing I check is the 4 day forecast chart at BOM - http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/4day_col.shtml

Mainly look for a big high with widespread pressure lines, wider the lines, the lower the wind.

It seems funny that most of the data used by the weather services comes from the same place & is interpreted differently.

3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Had a mate in South Oz who worked in the met office at Ceduna. He told me once, after I had given him a bit of a verbal spray over incorrect forecasts, that their info is based on 5% theory, 5% observation and 90% guesswork.

Jeff :cool:

creekboy, kev209, Ditch and 1 other person like this.
  4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Touche' Jeff.
    Thanks Ditch. Basically of course, like most other guys, I do what you say. There's no real alternative. I don't understand either why there are variations when BoM supplies ALL the info.

creekboy, kev209 and Ditch like this.
  5. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    As most of my fishing is done on the river the forecast only really comes into it for temp for me.
    Not much fun sitting in a tinny on a 44 deg day roasting.If i'm going somewhere like lake eildon i'll have a look at the wind,but most times you can work your way around the wind and find a spot to fish in that's not too bad.Getting the boat on & off the trailer can be a pain at times when there is whitecaps around.

6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Right on Andy. But sometimes it's not so easy to get to that sheltered water. And launching in open water can be a pain in the butt, something to be avoided if on your own.

7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Toady here it's supposed to mostly sunny. There's been 100% cloud overhead all morning.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    With you there..........on a recent visit to Copeton Dam it came up windy when we were packing up camp. Backed the trailer in, opened the door of the 4wd just as a whitecap rolled in. Ended up with 4 inches of water in the cab.:(

AWL, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Far worse if it was salty Ditch

10. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    I use WillyWeather mobile app on my phone and its pretty accurate for up here- I mostly use it for tides and wind/swell direction and 95% of the time its pretty spot on.
    Eg. Friday last week forecast for some patchy late afternoon/evening rain and swinging NW/SE winds- when we arrived to the beach the wind was a warn NW around 5knots, then it showered (as predicted) then it swung to the SE for a little bit and back to the NW (again as predicted) whist a light drizzle settled in. Around 8pm the wind swung back to SE and was blowing up towards the 15-25kn which I saw on the app- made for uncomfortable fishing so we packed it in and come home with a nice 50cm Taylor and a healthy 38cm Whiting.

11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I also use Willy Weather

12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    After complaining about inaccuracies; they got it right yesterday.

Just before heading to Darwin, Jeep was close to turning up 200,000kms, so gave her a new set of shocks and brake pads. The shocks made noises and leaked oil, and were to be replaced on our return.
    Last week I check the forecasts, and Wednesday this week looked perfect, but that was the day for the shocks replacement in Batemans Bay. The weather did turn out as perfect and being on the water would have been equally so. You can't win them all.

However, a fisho mate from up the coast rang last night to say he's in the caravan park here, and was out on the water most of the day.
    Following 50mm of rain Monday, he said the broadwater section was quite dirty, and he got no fish. Made me feel better.