1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

west lakes 30th jan

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Michael, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Well en-route to West Lakes I changed my mind where I would have a fish.I drove to a street which has two small beaches .
    First beach second bam I on and off thinking this is a good omen .I continued on with Council workers digging up the reserve next to me .I landed this little 18 cm Bream
    [​IMG]

I had a lot of more jumps from tiny fish but no more hook ups.And with the council workers getting louder I decided to head two minutes up the road.When I got to beach number 2 a very very large excavation machine thundered past me on a truck.Perhaps it was wise to have moved.

Took awhile for this beach a few jumps and tiny fish that spat the fly .When I got another 18 cm bream.Now I must apologise as for some reason my camera work now went out the window!!
    [​IMG]
    Watching tiny fish attack this fly while it was stationery .I thought perhaps the larger ones would hit a moving fly .
    And while moving I got hit and landed an even smaller bream of 16 cm
    [​IMG]

Now a sane man would have gone home but not me :D .While families arrived in canoes and with dogs swimming .I kept wading .I put my fly out and wham bam I was on with a stonker .I thought I had set the hook but no missed it :cry:

So one more cast as its getting onto 9am I thought and another I just kept going toward the pedestrian bridge.A few small fish popping out and then bam this one felt larger .I fought it for a short while saying don't lose this one .At first I thought it was fouled hook but it wasn't and there were 3 Bream the same size following it in !!!
    It was more like a dead weight than a fight but I landed a slightly bigger fish at 22cm.Not as large as I had hoped but here is a bad pic.

[​IMG]

And with dogs and swimmers getting closer that was my morning flick.
    Four fish landed and I was happy

2. bugsplat

bugsplat New Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Well done Mick, you seem to be getting more each time you go out.

Cheers, Dave.

3. Michael

Michael New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Cheers Dave
    The wind and Shrimp have been a big help:D