1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

What a break we had

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, Oct 26, 2017.

1. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    We flew to Sydney on Saturday arvo, not long after arriving it pi##ed down.
    Sunday around noon we arrived at Circular Quay to find this gigantic bloody ship taking up the whole pier. That tall it wouldn't fit under the Harbour Bridge. Well we boarded this monster, the passage ways were that long I was looking for bus stops. Around 4 pm our Cruise started. Our first port of call was Brisbane and again it pi##ed down. Next stop off was Willis Island, a very interesting place. If I remember right it is the only inhabited island in the Coral Sea, but comes under Australian jurisdiction. For some reason the Cruise ships come to a stop off shore of the island. The Island is some sort of a weather station. Next port of call was Port Douglas got a bit choppy so we stayed on board I'm glad we did as it got a bit choppy for the tenders. Next stop Yorkey's Knob, we were going to get a caoch into Cains, it didn't rain this time but a shuttle bus and a car decided to have vehicular intercourse on the only road in or out of where the tenders were docking. So back onto the Ship, a few more drinks sat back and relaxed. Our next stop off was Airlie Beach nice sunny day for a look around a bit of a shower, By this time I was getting a bit RS so back to the ship. I didn't mind, a few more ales and relaxed. We are thinking very serious of going on another cruise next year. The crew and outher staff were brilliant, plenty of beautiful food, of coarse the odd ale or 2. Lyn and I went to a few of the shows, movies under the stars, met some great people, had a bit of a bumpy night and just relaxed. It was great sitting at a window looking out over the ocean while having a meal or a chat. I got a shipboard wifi account but could not log into TBX, and not all Emails went through, several other passengers I spoke to were having the same problem. Our last port was back at Sydney. then flew back to Melbourne with some wonderful memories. Distance covered on our Cruise was 2932 Nautical Miles =3374Land Miles = 5439 kilometers. Even though we didn't go on many tours. Lyn and I will never forget our Cruise, we took the advice from friends that have been on several Cruises .DON'T TRY TO DO EVERY THING, CRUISES ARE TO RELAX AND INJOY YOURSELF

Old fisho, creekboy, Ditch and 2 others like this.
  2. Madfisher

Madfisher Active Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Great to see you had a good time mate. We went around NZ including the sounds in2016 on explorer of the seas, great trip. We are gong again next month on Voyger of the seas around the poacific islands. Great value for money holidays. Only bad thing I put on 6kg on the first one.
    What ship where you on.
    Cheers Pete

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  3. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Nice Kev sounds like a nice relaxing getaway. The wet season up nth can be a real bummer and even though "technically" it doesnt start till november it can still put a dampener on your holiday if you arent prepared to ride it out.
    Personally Ive never been on a cruise by our neighbours go every year- south pacific mostly but have cruised to Hawaii, Asia, South Pacific and NZ among some local ones around Oz and Tassie. I would like to try it but apparently there are some liners where general behavior can be quite shocking- esp considering majority of the passengers are parents with younger children, I wont mention which liner but I have heard stories about them and what unattended kids and adults get up to!
    We will prob end up going back to Fiji and NZ sometime in the next few years when the kids are older but in the meantime we will stick to local adventures while the kids are still happy to be kids and do the family thing.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Lyn and I went on the Golden Princess, there were a few young kids on board but were kept under control by there parents which was great. I was told there are Cruise lines that don't allow under 18 year olds on board.
    It was great watching young families having fun, the crew even danced with the kids at one of the functions. There were first time Cruisers like Lyn and I and quite a few had been on 50 or more Cruises. It is a bloody big ship and we only heard 2 elderly ladies complain about the kids still being on deck after 8pm. But they changed there minds a few times is it 9pm them is it 10pm. But you can come across grumpies anywhere.

5. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Glad you and Lyn still had an enjoyable trip. Cheers, creekboy. (Lyall)

kev209 likes this.
  6. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Sound's like you had an enjoyable trip kev:cool: even though a bit unlucky with the weather and some dodgy local driving.

7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Glad to see that you and your bride had an enjoyable trip Kev. Some years back, I was in Sydney when my sister and her husband were setting off on a cruise and I went on board the ship for a look about. I can't remember the name of the vessel, but it was BIG, so big that it was easy to get lost once below deck.

We all behaved ourselves whilst you were absent, or at least us Queenslanders did :D.

Jeff :cool:

Old fisho, Madfisher, AWL and 2 others like this.
  8. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I did two cruises on the old Oriana (P & O) just before she was decommissioned. In all we visited every major island group in the Pacific, from NZ to Honiara, and out as far as Samoa. Loved it. It's a fantastic life, and I love being on water. Delighted it went well for you both. Noel

9. Madfisher

Madfisher Active Member

Aug 14, 2016
    We are heading off on the voyager of the sea late this month, around the tropical islands.
    cheers Pete

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  10. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    Enjoy your trip Pete. It was hard leaving the ship when we got back into Sydney

creekboy, Madfisher and Old fisho like this.
  11. kev209

kev209 Moderator

Aug 22, 2016
    The Oriana brings back a lot of memories Noel, as a kid I fished Station Pier on a regular basis as my sister lived just around the corner. The Oriana was a big ship in her days if I remember right a lot of migrants came to Australia on her. It was great fishing the Pier when ships were in as in those days they just dumper the garbage over the side, great berley. I saw some big fish caught off the end of the Pier. Mostly I caught Coota, Bay Trout and the odd Flatty.

creekboy, Madfisher and Old fisho like this.
  12. Madfisher

Madfisher Active Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I guess things have improved in some ways, when we where on Explorer of the seas I was amazed it had its only sewage works that produced water of drinking quality .

13. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    G'day Kev.
    She was in those days quite large at 804' long and 42,000 GT (gross tonnage). There were usually around 3000 passengers and crew on board. She was part of P &O's Pacific and Orient fleet; with names starting with 'O'. Oriana, Oronsay, Orcadies, Orsova,and perhaps others. Yes, they were used to bring may of the early migrants out here. I much wanted to go on Oriana's final cruise in 1986. It would have been a real gas. Even went to Sydney to get tickets direct from P & O in Castlerae St as I recall. It wasn't possible. Travel agents had bought every berth on board and were on-selling them at prices I simply couldn't afford. I understand she was converted to a floating museum in Japan, and later sold to Chines interests. Damaged during a storm she was partially sunk in 2004. Repairs were not feasible and she was dismantled in 2005. Generally, she came through Sydney Heads just before daylight, and the day broke as she steamed slowly up the harbour. A magnificent journey and experience. There is a new MV Oriana in service now; built around 1995. Noel.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  14. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    During the mid 70's, I worked for six months as a diesel mechanic on board a ship named Matthew Flinders in the Whitsunday Islands. It was owned by a bloke called Bernie Elsey, a multi millionaire who saw himself as the Australian version of Hugh Heffner of Playboy fame. He owned Daydream Island back then and I recall a conversation I had with him in the wheelhouse of the ship one day when he told me that he had never bedded a woman above the age of 25 and I was most impressed, considering that he was 73 at the time and still bedding women under the age of 25. He was proof that money will buy you happiness.

An article on Elsey and the Matthew Flinders was published in the Australian Womens Weekly in 1970 and can be accessed here: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/51274801/4895993

This ship at only 200 feet long and 827 tons was tiny in comparison to the cruise ships of the day, let alone the floating giants of the modern era. My job was off-sider to the engineer, a man who had developed a fondness for Captain Morgan Rum and I don't think I ever saw him without a bottle in his hand - perpetually drunk, but had a brilliant knowledge of large marine diesel engines. The engine in the 'Flinders' was a 1500 hp in line eight cylinder Polar with an open sump. Whilst under way, we could slow it down to a quarter rpm, unbolt a big-end bearing and change a piston without shutting down the engine. We did that twice between the island and Townsville, just for the experience and more-so, just for the hell of it.

It was a good job, I spent most of my days lounging about on the rear sundeck, ogling the delectable young things who came on board to visit the boss. He asked me one day if I had a passport and told me to get one if I hadn't - we were heading off on a world cruise. I knew that he often talked rubbish, so I decided to move on and return to working on mining equipment. Months later I heard that he had set off on his world cruise, got as far as Fiji and sold the ship where it remains to this day.

Jeff :cool:

15. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Some great memories among this latest lot. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209, Madfisher and Old fisho like this.