1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

2016 Murray Codference...Shepparton!

Discussion in 'Fishing in Victoria' started by Rod Bender, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    kev209 likes this.
  2. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    9 am till 3.30 pm that's a long day hope there's show bags

kev209 likes this.
  3. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    kev209 likes this.
  4. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    How much does it cost.

kev209 likes this.
  5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Free! Well sort of...it will come out of our license fees!

kev209 likes this.
  6. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Sounds like it might be worth going I could even learn something.

kev209 likes this.
  7. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Is anyone likely to go?

kev209 likes this.
  8. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Would like to but will be on holiday's trying to catch one instead.

kev209 likes this.
  9. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Yeah that's what I was thinking my time would be better spent fishing I think It would be a good day though hopefully Jim writes up a nice report on the conference for us to read

kev209 likes this.
  10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Not long now! I am going to check it out and hopefully stay! I haven't been in the venue for a long time and from what I hear...seating isn't exactly big person friendly! Hopefully won't be a walk in and walk out day!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Loves an armchair!

kev209 likes this.
  11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Well...that was fun! The initial Codference! Some interesting talks of which I will pass on some info over the next couple days. Highlights for me was Rod Harrison's talk and Rod McKenzie's talk. The talk regarding the introduction of the carp virus was interesting, as was the talk about fish handling. The carp virus is going to be interesting...I think this was highlighted in question time...when the vet who was speaking later posed some questions for the speaker! Not to mention the vet's talk in regards to safe handling of fish on release! Fun times ahead!

Hen and Chook, diesel and kev209 like this.
  12. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Where do I start? The highlight of the day was Rod Harrison's talk...followed closely by Rod MacKenzie. Some of the presentations, such as stocking programs I did find slightly boring but reality is, they are essential so of course these subjects should be included. Numbers attending on the day were good but there were plenty of vacant seats.

Presentations I did find interesting...the talk on the introduction of the carp virus. The presenter was the person in charge of the entire program nationwide. Question time was interesting! A vet who was there to present later asked the question in regards to have cod been tested to see if they can get the virus by eating affected carp. This has not been tested but they are confident that it can not be transmitted this way...apparently! It is also important to note that the introduction of the virus is not yet confirmed.

The vets talk on fish handling was also interesting. Do not use lip grips! Also, when reviving a fish I guess most of us push the fish forward and backwards...well I have done this anyway. It is not good to do...the pushing backwards thing. It has something to do with the gills but the fish needs to be moving forward to revive. Most of us are aware the fish has a slimy layer...this needs to be protected.

He said as we all like to take pics...have everything ready from the start so the fish is out of the water for the minimal time. He explained in detail some aspects of the cod in regards to removing oxygen from the water. This gets more difficult as the water temp increased. So his recomendation is...if the temp gets above 30...don't fish. I am not sure if the temp was in regards to water or air.

He also said to use suitable size gear...heavy! Do not stress the fish out by fighting it on light gear. It was also suggested to use circle hooks...and to 'feel the bite' as he put it. In other words, stay by you rod or even hold onto it. This reduces gut hookings.

I think the vet has been commissioned to write a code of conduct for fisheries do we may see these recommendations come into play.

I can't remember which presentation it was but it was stated that male cod look after the nest. And it was said that if the cod is disturbed, such as being caught, then the nest will likely be abandoned. Common knowledge amongst experienced fishos.

A presentation was given on the current blackwater event. I can not remember which organisation this guy was from. Admitted from the start that we have to learn how to manage our water better. Maps were shown which highlighted the increase of red gum forests along the rivers (NSW). Therefore leaf litter on the floor is excessive and just waiting to be washed in when given a chance. A member present asked the question if we could return to logging and prescribed burns which would reduce leaf litter...hell no! Response was that logging actually increases the amount of trees and therefore litter...go figure! I could see it increasing numbers of small trees but these could be harvested too!

A presentation was given in the effects of environmental flows by another person. During the flows they had released tagged fish which were monitored. Data did show fish movement during the rises so it appears they are doing their thing! As opposed to very little movement during times of normal flow.

Rod Harrison...his talk was about how things have changed in fishing for cod. I think his talk was the highlight...very funny! Rod MacKenzie...targeting big cod. Gave an overview of what gear he uses. I know most cod fishos like a high barometer...he will not go out unless it is above 1020 hPa. Another thing of interest, I like fishing rising waters, he said that he finds the best time to be fishing is a day and a half prior to the rise!

Other things discussed...we are on the way to having a combined Vic/NSW license! But here is the thing! I think we will still pay the same price if you want it! NSW get a lot more revenue from us buying their license as opposed to their fishos purchasing our licenses...so NSW won't budge. What I read into it...one license...still pay the same as two but you only have to renew the one if you choose to go this way. Also, whilst they know redfin are not the best...they may be doing something to improve the odd redfin fishery. They also may be considering stocking natives in areas where they may not normally be stocked in some locations, that's what I read into something that was said...perhaps in some impoundments but not rivers. Somebody asked if there was any cod stocking planned for the Yarra...yeah,,,,nah!!! As in no!
    That's all folks!
    Team Bender
    Your intrepid reporter.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    diesel, kev209 and Lazyfisher like this.
  13. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Good report team bender

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  14. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Thank's for taking the time to post that RB:cool: was a great read

kev209 likes this.
  15. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Top report Jim

16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    That's good feedback Jim and interesting about the carp virus being tested (not) on cod.

Jeff

kev209 likes this.
  17. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    have cod been tested to see if they can get the virus by eating affected carp. This has not been tested but they are confident that it can not be transmitted this way...apparently!
    CONFIDENT, PROVEN sounds better to me

diesel likes this.
  18. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Yes! After the event we went to the local tackle store for a BBQ and drinks. I cornered carp man there. I asked him why they didn't try the 'all you can eat infected carp smorgasbord' on the cod. He didn't know why...said he was going to ask. But...their conclusion that it will not spread this way is based on science. He did explain things but yeah, trying to remember is another thing! Disease, virus etc are spread in different ways...and some things you can not get by eating something contaminated.

The testing of fish that was done involved injecting the fish with the virus as well as swimming them in water contaminated by the virus. I think the vet was also critical of the amount of animals tested...as in should have been more.

I forgot as well...data from eloctro-fishing different rivers was presented. Looks like the Ovens River is the winner! They mentioned also it is a river that is not regulated (no dams)...funny about that!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    BSc (Bronze Swimming Certificate)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    diesel and kev209 like this.
  19. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Any clues given on when/where the great release is going to happen.

Why have you got a BSc bender? did you drive the gator into the dam again.

kev209 likes this.
  20. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    For what it is worth...I don't have a BSC! It was all a lie! If the virus is released...2 years! It is still not a certainty and they are currently investigating the feasibility as in possible side effects and what the f#$% are we gonna do with the dead carp! As for point of release, not confirmed but he said it would be an obvious choice to start at the bottom and let the virus work its way up...so...South A for the MDB.

Also, forgot to mention, the poor South Australians, a couple of the speakers said that if SA does not get its act together, there is a good chance that cod will become extinct in the state.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Bringer of bad news for South Australians.

diesel, kev209 and AWL like this.