1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

4 hook Tailor rig + assist hooks ?

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Bluefin, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Just thinking about some tailor off the beach on 4 hook rigs and Pillies. I wonder how a couple of assist hooks would go instead of the 4th hook ? But . would the normal assist hook material hold up to their teeth ?

creekboy, AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.
  2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    hi bluefin, gang hooks work really well whith pillies, hook up really well , what are assist hooks bud?

kev209, creekboy and AJ Fishman like this.
  3. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    2 swinging books like on Ecogear zx lures. Im trying them out on Sugarpen surface lures this summer on Whiting too, They work so well on the zx lures !! But in a larger size for Tailor !!

kev209, creekboy and AJ Fishman like this.
  4. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Personally I wouldnt bother unless you are using jumbo pillies... a standard 3 hook gang should be more than adequate for big taylor. Alternatively you can run snelled hooks (I like to use 3 X Mustad Big Red with a gap between the hooks and most pillies will sit nicely in the water.

Cheers
    Anthony

5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hi bluefin, thx for description of assist hooks, have used octo jigs which have them , very effective,
    I think tailor may rip up the material but u may crack some good bream etc and hook those cautious biters.
    cheers

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    I often tie a bream hook to the tag of the 4 hook rig, gets me a few bream !!! Sometimes with worm on it !!!

7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    very cunning bluefin !