1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

A BIT MORE IN RETROSPECT

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Two things actually. Many guys have a favourite way of restoring the peace at home when it's needed. I just discovered a way to disrupt that peace and may need some help in restoring it. Someone had applied a hand brake for a while on matters pertaining to my perfectly prepared piscatorial paraphernalia and pending pastimes. I solved this issue the other day by simply saying 'I'm going fishing tomorrow'. That shouldn't cause much of an issue and didn't until the next morning when I filled the thermos, made a beaut ham and salad roll for lunch and packed the bags of soft plastics in the boat. She said 'You're really going fishing'? Some other things were mentioned briefly before a silence set in. Some don't believe in climate change. It's real. Trust me. The temperature has dropped suddenly by several degrees here but some confidence remains that it will rise again given time. I have read that love will conquer over all diversity. Can I believe what I read? Help needed!
    That's an aside to it all.
    More seriously; I have written previously about my personal concern for our lake and the damage done by endless fishing club visits. They still arrive every weekend. Some may consider me little short of selfish and they may be right. I have many other failings too.
    I went out about 900 hours and returned around 1530. On one of the east coast's best, (perhaps THE best) flathead lakes, I fished seriously in perfect conditions, all over the lake. I have previously said my benchmark is ten fish per day regardless of size or species. The day ended with 10-12 fish, all flathead apart from one 30cm bream. I don't kill bream. But in a lake famous for its big flatties and having been known to catch my fair share of them, I never boated a fish over 33cm for the day. The smallest was about 25. It goes without saying I brought none home. That's a disappointing day but it gets worse. That's the fourth trip on water I know inside out, from which I've brought home one fish that might have made 40cm. In the past it would have been immediately put back as we kept nothing much under 50 and nothing at all over 65cm.
    I find this terribly sad and disappointing. Other locals who fish well are telling the same story. It seems the only answer will be for the clubs to be catching so few fish, they will stop coming. Then of course the fishing will be restored; but of course then, they will also return. I suggest this will be the future for many of our best fishing waters.
    Do you have an opinion?
    Noel

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Noel, I wish that I could offer some sound advice in relation to your marital hiccup, but unfortunately I was away the day that subject was taught at school. I can talk you through the process of rebuilding a Landcruiser gearbox, but I am lacking in the skills necessary in rebuilding harmony in the home.

As for your poor fortunes with fishing, it seems to be a problem right along the more populated areas of the eastern seaboard. Too much pressure from over fishing without enough time being allowed for recovery is having a devastating effect on healthy fish stocks. Sure, some areas do seem to be more immune to the pressure than others and recover quickly, but there are a lot of locations that I believe are far too fragile for the type of fishing that is happening.

From what I have witnessed in other parts of the country, whenever an area suffers from the effects of over fishing, whether that be recreational or commercial, authorities are slow to implement changes to combat the decline in fish stocks due to other factors such as the boost to the local economy that club events may contribute to smaller communities. This may be okay in the short term, but looking at it long term, a lack of good productive fishing will see a reduction in tourist numbers to areas that rely on the dollars they bring with them.

For many years I have argued that recreational fishing has little effect on fish stocks compared to commercial fishing, but now I'm not so cocky in my argument. Club and tournament events are hammering what were once prime locations and only those who partake in those events can put a stop to it.

Jeff

3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I am not sure if there is any positive solution to the problem Noel. Other than asking is there anywhere else in your area you can go?
    Cheers
    Jim

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    The fishing clubs should be encouraged to catch and release, if they aren't already. I like to think that most people who become ok at catching fish soon realize it is no good having heaps of fish in the freezer uneaten so only keep I good fish to eat per outing , if they catch one. When I used to fish in fly fishing comps we just measured each caught trouts length, killed it and threw it back in (heh heh just joking let it go, wondering what the hell just happened) and added up the total length in cm, also measured girth on big buggers I don't remember if weight came into it.
    I have just had the handbreak put on my p.p.p.p.p , the fishing charter rang and advised we don't go due to high winds and dirty water putting the pelagics off so we have rebooked for end of may, I thought the barra fishing would be good after rain and when wind died down.
    Its only the depth that varies Noel, I am up to my neck at present because I have other ideas of what I am going to do whith my week off , a rest then some armed bushwalking and a bit p.p.p.p.p, my fuhrer had planned lots of work for me to do on house as soon as she found out I am not going to N.T.
    R.B,s idea sounds good, I remember their were a few remote and hopefully unflogged estuarys south of where Noel resides. Used to camp on south of potato point there was a little, usually closed of body of water there and I heard bass chopping the surface a few times and I reckon throwing a canoe in and paddling around and throwing out some lures might be fun.

Cheers

creekboy, Rod Bender, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    The world is a funny place. The general climate has shown positive signs of improvement. This is in part at least due to a friend arriving Friday. We have both had places at Eucumbene for around 30 years now and often fished together there. He was actually invited by 'mon capitane' and the intention was to fish while Monty's wife was on a cruise with some of her old lady friends.
    We fished hard all day (and I was stuffed last night but will do it again today). There were hardly any other boats out as the forecast was pretty ordinary but it grew into a perfect day. I fished SPs all day but Monty, who is not big on change, threw a black and gold vibe ALL DAY. In a sense we had a great day with around 30 boated. Apart from a nice bream we returned and a 40cm whiting Monty landed, the rest were flathead. We brought home a 42 and 2 X 38s, plus the whiting. However, it was actually the best day I've had out there for quite a long time as I have previously indicated. Bigger fish are not scarce; they are rare. We mainly fished, casting onto the drop offs using the electric motor to move slowly against the in and out going tides during the day. We didn't get half each but he wasn't too far behind me on the day. He was delighted about that as he has tried to beat me for years..
    As a local I don't consider it a good day fish wise, but the consolation is always that, 'If there's only small fish and you're catching small fish; you are doing something right'. I believe we had it right then and will give them hell today and tomorrow. Monty walked up to get my Jeep and trailer when we came in. I loved that as I don't like walking up the steep hill. Need a couple of spells to get there.
    More info as it comes to hand. At least, while not great; it's a fishing report.
    Noel.

Madfisher, creekboy, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Good to hear you had a good days fishing, no way would I thrown that whiting back in either best place to throw them is into the frypan, been a while since I caught a decent whiting last one was in a canal up the gold coast I seen it go after the sp I thought it was a small jewie.

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    OK, it finally happened. Out yesterday, the fishing wasn't record setting but have seen much worse lately. But against the odds, finally had one nice 68cm flathead which we released. There were numerous throwbacks along with one really nice flounder. They're good tucker. For the first time in years we got several tiny snapper. Biggest about 15-16cm. They're pretty little things. Probably had a bit over 20 fish for the day in total but around lunch time they seemed to shut down. Should have had a beer perhaps, not coffee. Fished a couple of lesser known places and mate Monty was over the moon. He'd not seen them before. Fish were taken on several different SPs in various sizes, patterns and colours, along with vibes. Not predictable in any way. The back end of the system where we fished had very few boats in great conditions.
    A guy fishing in the entrance had a bag of bream, trevally, salmon and one flattie about 50. Another guy who fished Coila beach near the town had the two biggest mullet I've seen. One was close to 50, the other about 45. Few other guys had much to report.
    Noel

8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    That's a respectable days fishing. Lots of small snapper in my local water have never caught one on a sp, it probably them having pecks at my sp,s sometimes. Nice mullet, they are hard to catch those bigger ones I have had them take a bread fly spit it out so fast u don't have time to set the hook . I seen a bloke who caught some good one by fishing a light handline deep whith bread.

kev209, creekboy and Rod Bender like this.
  9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Day three has ended and my mate's gone home: Now I need a couple of rest days. We caught around 70 fish for three days, released one old girl and kept about eight for Monty to take home. There's little doubt we're underpopulated with good fish and overstocked with small. In spite of that, the weather was perfect and a great time was had. Just being able to get on the water is terrific.
    Noel

Madfisher, kev209, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Good to hear u had a lot of fish boated I presume the new moon period that has just ended the good part, made the fishing better I try to fish the new moon or other good moon phases or just go out when u can or feel like it and still do ok. Have just got approval from work to go on my NT trip end of may, yeeehah.

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  11. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Noel. A pretty good effort after all the recent reports. Congratulations to you both. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks guys.
    I guess it's fair to put this in the site as the bloke concerned will never see it.

I continue to wonder about some fishermen. Doubt it happens with the ladies.
    Monty got his best ever flathead the other day. While still in the water he said it was at least 70.
    I disagreed.
    He has only seen one big fish; a 95 I got while he was with me.
    After netting it he agreed to a release. 10/10 for that bit. He could have legally kept it.
    While in the water he had said it was at least 70. I disagreed but it was still a nice fish.
    After netting, he held the head while I held the tail against the sticker on the boat to measure.
    '69' he proudly said.
    'That's cheating' I said. 'Better move it this way a bit'.
    I moved the tail about 4cm to the end of the ruler, making it certainly no more than and perhaps a tad
    short of 65.
    He has still told his people he got this monster 69cm flathead; his biggest ever.
    What do these guys hope to achieve. I have listened to his boasts with a touch of horror, knowing
    full well it was untrue and a deliberate lie. But it's far from the first time. His reputation is well known.
    Do you guys have this happen? I have told him before that if you catch enough fish
    you never have to lie about them.
    Back in the NZ days he would report five or six fish each day. When we were with him he
    would most days get one or perhaps two. We eventually worked out that he counted the missed takes as fish.
    He believed that if a fish took a swipe at a fly it was as good as caught. God forbid but I still like the guy.
    Noel.

Madfisher, creekboy, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Oh well he sounds very enthusiastic about his fishing so would be a good bloke to fish whith, I have witnessed a deceased 64cm kingfish literally being stretched so it measured 65cm so therefore legal for the bbq. wouldn't even dream of doing something like that myself of course hehheh.

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  14. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
  15. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I had a rule like that as a young bloke. Cheers, Lyall.

Old fisho and kev209 like this.