1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

A bit scary.....

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by diesel, Aug 13, 2018.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've always been wary of fishing in stormy weather and the pic below shows what can happen when lightning hits a graphite rod. Interestingly, the reel looks to have survived okay.

6ba5b6b97b56878a14db66d5926b84a8.jpg

Jeff

Old fisho, blair, AJ Fishman and 4 others like this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Bloody hell

Old fisho, diesel and creekboy like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I am not totally sure but the reel may be a Shimano Tranx! You should buy one...they look like they are tough!:cool:
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Likes reading shocking posts!

Old fisho, AJ Fishman, diesel and 2 others like this.
  4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I think I will go back to my old original bamboo rod. Cheers, Lyall.

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It does look like a Tranx, Jim. I've never seen one in the flesh and I don't think I really need one - still squirreling away the shekels for the you beaut Megabass Pagani pistol grip outfit, plus a new tinny.

I see the latest Curado from Shimano features computerised braking to control spool speed. Maybe this great leap in technology is something that could interest me.
    www.shimanofish.com.au/content/fish/oceania/au/en/homepage/productdetail.P-BRCURADODC.html

Jeff

6. Missniss

Missniss Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Hmm I might go back to an old school fishing pole :) timber one with string lol

7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    bloody hell that would have been exciting! hopefully caught some good fish before it was hit we all know how good the fishing can be whith storms around...….
    wonder if it can be repaired? untangle and straighten fibers,remold and glue,new guides, ha ha.

diesel, Old fisho, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  8. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Jeff; I guess 'scary' is the operative word.

Once had a classis 'boot' from a graphite fly rod at Eucumbene during a thundery evening. Not even any lightning about. No damage done other than a sore hand but the static electricity generated a really wild spark when I touched it. Rule No 1: Never leave a graphite rod pointing up in those conditions. Keep it horizontal. They don't just conduct electricity; they attract it. It's never happened again but we are much more careful now. On that lake; I note the level has dropped below 20% at present. A bit sad.

The Old fisho
    Who still can't get out fishing.

9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    hi , I am contemplating going to anglers next weekend but don't think I will be able to launch boat and its forecast to be a bit stormy and some rain ,not much wind but.
    I remember once I was fishing a bay at eucenbene and this massive thundered head/anvil cloud was heading right towards me there were no other clouds about and u could feel the charge in the air so I hopped in the boat as soon I was moving there was a massive crack/boom/flash right behind me where I had just been fishing. lucky I didn't decide to just keep fishing, not cheap those fly rods.
    cheers blair

kev209 and creekboy like this.