1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

A short break up at lake St Clair.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Madfisher, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Sal and I have just returned from a few days up at St Clair in the Hunter Valley.
    This lake offers superb flyfishing for Bass and golden Perch, better in my opinion then the Snowy lakes.
    We left Monday morning loaded up with camping gear and my 4.3m bermuda. As is our custom we stopped at the Bylong shop for a toasted sandwich and a coffee. Noticed and old biker their but did not take much notice. Left and on our way again, with our friends Paula and Wayne close behind. About 30 mins later i cross a bridge and notice this old bloke sitting on the edge of the road, I knew he was in trouble so pulled over. Wayne kept going looking a bit horrified i had pulled up. Turns out he had buckled his front wheel in a deep pot hole, so he hid and secured his bike and gave him a lift to Jerries plains to hopefully get help.
    Dropped him off and arrived at the dam about 1pm, spent most of the arvo setting up a comfortable camp. Sadly as we age this seems to becoming hard work. Then towards dark Wayne and I flyfished the opposite shore in the camping area. Good night, if a bit patchy 6 bass landed and a nice eating size yella of about 1 kilo. The yella really smashed the fly, a home grown one of mostly possum fur on a long shank 6 hook with a black glass bead. ON a sadder note on the first cast i broke the tip of a sage TCR fly rod, the rod was under very little pressure at the time, so most likly had copped a hit from a bead.
    I have been invited out for father day so will continue this later.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    blair, creekboy, Rod Bender and 2 others like this.
  2. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Next morning Sal and I headed up the eastern arm, and fished a favourite spot, as we often do she went one way, and I the other. I was now fishing a 7wt intermediate line on a 6wt stalker aire rod. Fishing a steepish bank with a good weed bed the line snapped tight, and the rod bowed down. Nice little bass in the mid 30s. A bit further up i was casting around a sunken log, when i got a vicious hit, and a very determined fish was trying to get back home. I called it for a Bass, but was surprised to see a nice yella of about a kilo. this one i kept, yum. Turning around i fished back and picked up another high 30s bass on the corner. Walking back to the boat i was glad to see Sal had also done well with 3 Bass, one she had kept for lunch.
    That night we where a bit late leaving camp and decided to try a new area, sadly the weed was just to bad to fish, we where running out of light and time, but luckily 100m down the bank it was ok to fish with floating lines. Another great night Sal scored 4, with a couple in the mid 40s, and I landed 6, four i landed standing in the one spot.
    I will not bore you all with a blow by blow description of ea day , but will mention some highlights, sal wanted a break and a cuppa so we tied up to a tree of a point and dropped a worm down and was rewarded with a nice Silver perch of about 43cm.
    Sal and I are both getting on in age, so often we will flyfish for a couple of hours then throw a bait out for a while. ON friday we had flyfished for three hours for one bass, when Sal commented she had , had enough and was throwing a worm out. Someone must have thrown a SWITCH, in the next hour she landed a very good yella, two bass and a large catfish, while i could only manage one cattie.
    Part 111 asfter lunch.

3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good report, Pete and top marks for stopping to help that bloke in trouble.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  4. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    On friday afternoon the weather was starting to close in. After Sals epic session we boated back to a steep rocky point that was getting a pounding from the waves. Beached the boat and threw a bait rod out ea, i had barely got mine in the holder when it bowed over with the drag screaming. I had barely picked up the rod when it had found weed, but i managed to retrieve it, and release it. Sal landed a similar one while i was re baiting, i rebaited threw out, and it had barely reached the bottom when it went off, this one completely buried itself so i had to bust it off. Then my hat blew off so we had to chase it in the boat. Once i got my hat back, i realised it was time to get out of their, as all hell was about to break loose. As we ran up to the tent down it came.
    Rained most of the arvo, but broke about 4pm, Sal and i went out for the night session and landed 13 up to the mid 40s , and was home again by 8.30pm.
    Broke camp next morning, but i had a problem, to access the main ramp i had to traverse 1m plus waves, or risk retrieving in the sheltered back water we where camped in.
    Problem being the lake had dropped 2m very quickly, and the rain overnight had make this section very greasy. I walked a 200 m section and found a spot i thought i had a chance. My paj is equipped with decent AT tyres, traction control and a rear diff lock.Back the paj and the boat trailer down and when i touched the brakes to stop it slid a bit O ****. I thought i better test the traction before loading the boat, no go even with the rear diff lock on.
    No option but to unhook the boat trailer and see if I CAN MOVE IT. Using the TC it gradually started to move forward, moved it up on to the grass , now we had to get the trailer back to the 4wd. We are both in our mid 60s, so no easy feat, but we used the winch, and Sally pushed. Mind u i was not impressed by the ski mob up on the hill who stood and watched us. Then i took the boat around through the waves , and we got it back on the trailer. Found out my old biker mate got home about 3am.
    Cheers Guys

5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Nice effort! Your tactics of using bait at times when you need a break is good as it allows you to fish in some manner. Better than nothing!

As for the skiers who couldn't bother helping you...as frustrating as it is, there isn't much you can do. I have no doubt if the situation was reversed tomorrow and they needed help, you would do it. It is the sort of person you are...as opposed to them.
    Cheers
    Jim

6. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Jim I should have added Sally met me at the ramp, where we had to wait a few minutes for two young fishos to launch their nice boat. I got the trailer lined up, and as i went to winch the boat up one of them rushed over and said let me do that for you, and he had no way of knowing I suffer from Angina, unless he was a doc and could see it on my face. Such a nice young fella, and so different to the skiers earlier.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Excellent read, sounds like a great trip all round. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209, diesel and Madfisher like this.