1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

After A Redfin Recipe!

Discussion in 'Preparation & Cooking' started by Wyld Fisher, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Wyld Fisher

Wyld Fisher New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    I'm going for a spin tommorrow arvo and I want to bring home a feed or two. Normally we just scale the fish, rip out the insides and clean the Redfin and put it on the fry pan. So I just wanted to try another recipe that taste great for Redfin!

2. shade

shade New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    redfin is a tasty fish, pretty much good on it's own with a bit of lemon .. but you might try in foil with adding tomato, some butter, onion, garlic, maybe some cracked pepper ... you could look into smoking it too.

You can always experiment with some spices, but don't go too overboard ;) it takes over from the taste, but once making up a mix, put some butter and lemon juice on the fillets or whole fish, and put some in some four in a plastic freezer bag with the spices and fillet, shake, and pan fry.

experiment really, you'll find a good mix.

3. fisherman347

fisherman347 Active Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I like to fillet my fish and either Batter it or crumb it, ok you may lose a bit but atleast your not mucking around with bones,besides you can always freeze the carcass & use it in your shrimp bait for the next outing, or simply bury it in the garden for compost......cheer's Greg.........

4. Wyld Fisher

Wyld Fisher New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    MMMM....

5. Wyld Fisher

Wyld Fisher New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Any other recipes guys?

6. fisherman347

Sep 4, 2006
    Hi Lachlan, here's one for you, first fillet your fish,1cup of plain flour,half a cup of self raising flour, a pinch of black pepper,and fair sprinkle of Chicken salt,finally a can or 2 of your preferred beer. Method,wisk or stir in beer till you get all the lumps out & have a good virscosity, finally let you batter stand for atleast20-40 min's. After this just heat up a pan with oil,dip your fillets in and Bingo was his name it,s that easy,Bon-appertite...Cheer's Greg............

7. Wyld Fisher

Wyld Fisher New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Thanks mate!

8. arry t

arry t New Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Why dont you ask someone for sum old cookbooks they have

9. jezza95

jezza95 New Member

May 4, 2007
    try geting the fillets and puting in some egg then flour and the ligtly crumming them with corn flake crums yummy and you might even like it with some sweet chili sauce
    jez

10. b.frost

b.frost Member

May 12, 2007
    all these people that say fillet redfin. redfin isnt that easy to fillet.

wyld u could try cooking the fish the same but makin a nice sauce for it i like to just put a bit of lemon a some cracked pepper and sometimes cook it with come herbs.

11. Loopy

Loopy New Member

May 19, 2006
    HA, if the dog doesn't find it first.

12. hoppa

hoppa New Member

Aug 30, 2005
    B.Frost,

Redfin are one of the easiest fish to fillet, when you've done a few they become pretty easy and don't take long.
    Once filleted and cooked in beer batter they are very very hard to beat!
    Still in my top 3 fish to eat.

Hoppa

13. fisherman347

Sep 4, 2006
    Hi,all i,m with you there Hopper,years ago i had the priveladge of working on a Barra boat,i did a few trips and we worked outside the mouth of the daily river. To those of you who think redfin are hard to fillet,lol,try Threadfin Salmon,then tell me what you think about redfin to fillet then.After filleting Salmon,Threadfin that is,one can fillet reddies with there eyes closed.cheer's Greg..P.s,getting back to eating redfin,like all fish they can be cooked a number of way's, it's up to one's self on how ya like to prepare and cook them..

14. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Blowering redfin are very nice.Chuck some garlic salt and pepper in and on them and straight on the BBQ.

15. b.frost

b.frost Member

May 12, 2007
    ill agree with you there wharf

16. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Feb 5, 2009
    make beer batter and put some garlic and herbs in it and fry away hhmmmmmmmm yummy

17. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Beer batter is very nice.

I worked with an old fella a couple of years ago.He said if i wanted to scale redfin i needed to do one thing to make it easy.Stand on the tail and pull on the head until i heard a crack.He reckons that makes them easy to scale???Has anyone else heard of this method??

18. fisherman347

Sep 4, 2006
    hi there Wharf,there is method in the madness,it actually works,cheer's Murph.....

19. Ozzy

Ozzy New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    MMMMMMM Redfin

fillet and then skin fillet get a plastic bag and plain flour and lemon pepper seasoning , stick the fillets in the bag with the flour and seasoning and shake . Take out and shake off excess flour and into a pan with a good quality canola oil , serve with chips and a wedge of lemon

Jeez I'm hungry now

Cheers
    Ozzy

20. chef knives set

chef knives set New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    1 redfin perch
    1 tbsp egg wash
    sliced ginger
    sliced red chilli
    soya sauce
    Stewed Red Fin Perch

coat fish with egg wash, heat non-stick wok add 1 tbsp of oil then add fish in, let it cook for 2 min then turn on the other side and cook for another 2 minutes, add water to cover half of the fish and cover the wok for 3 minutes
    remove cover, pour 1 tbsp soya sauce , slice chilli , slice ginger and pinch of sugar (if you like sesame oil, you can add a bit)
    ready to serve, add spring onion on top

Enjoy