1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Alamanac

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by reelaxation, Jan 29, 2020.

1. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    I bought a NSW fishing Almanac the other day, was wondering if anyone else has one or uses one?... Experience has told me over the years the peak times are a few days before and after full/new moon.

According to the one I bought it confirms this for both freshwater and saltwater species- and the proof when I went out on Australia Day I guess there must be something in it ....
    So I have been frantically highlighting all the best bite times up till the start of winter, hoping this will give me a slight edge not only with my own fishing, but also times when I hold classes.

One the note of LMFSCC, I have had several booking over recent weeks, but both guided beach adventures and also for kids classes- with more coming on each week. This is great for me so I can fish more often and also teach both kids and adults the joys of both beach and estuary fishing.
    My Wife even ordered me some awesome t-shirts and an embroidered cap with our logo printer on it for my B'Day last weekend- when they arrive I will upload some piccies of them- they look great on the Vistaprint website so I hope they are just as awesome when they arrive towards then end of this week or early next week.

Cheers
    Anthony

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I don't use an almanac myself Anthony, but I've known a few blokes who swear by them. They've been around for as long as I can remember and they must have something going for them to survive this long. They are probably more beneficial to those who fish high pressure places compared to the remote places that I fish up here in the north.

Good to see that the Little Minnows is working for you, hope it keeps on doing the same.

Jeff

3. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Thanks Jeff really appreciate it- I never thought to get the Almanac until this year, but I think its worth the $7 even if it only benefits my personal fishing exploits, but I have referred most of my customers to getting one esp for the real beginners as it covers tides aswell + I also give them some very useful websites for weather and tides.

Hope you are right and Little Minnows continues to grow over this year- it would be awesome to not have to work full time and fish a few days a week and get some coin for it.

Stay tuned for more updates as things progress and I will hopefully get some more reports uploaded in the coming weeks.

Anthony

4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    My mate Ray, the new fisher, has an almanac and told me the best time to fish this week. I think he reads and will try anything that might help him catch fish (not 'catch A fish'), for which I give him 11/10. He believed the time stated to be guaranteed and was disappointed when I said I didn't believe anything in fishing is a guaranteed certainty. The time almost coincided with a midday high tide but the weather prevented us from putting it to test, from even getting out there. I have seen one but never used one. Not likely to now either.
    Noel

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I guess that comes down to where you are fishing and what you are targeting.

There have been times when I have set forth to catch a good feed of whiting, bream and flatties in what looked to be the ideal inshore gutter on a known productive beach only to walk off the beach with absolutely zilch. As any beach fisherman knows, it's a 'hit & miss' game.

The same cannot be said for flicking a popper over an inshore reef in a lot of remote places up here in the north, where you can guarantee that as long as there is water over the reef, no matter how shallow, some toothy critter such as a jack, coral trout or a bucket-mouth flowery cod will launch out from under a ledge & hit the lure. The only uncertainty in this type of fishing is whether or not you can wheel the fish before it gets back under the ledge.

I suppose that is why I have spent most of my fishing time in the tropics - the guaranteed certainty that if you have bait in the water or you flick the right lure to the right spot, you'll get a strike.

Jeff

blair and kev209 like this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    It's not hard to understand why fishos up there use lines we'd never contemplate here. The fish up there, particularly on the reefs, can test any BS line.
    Noel

blair, kev209 and diesel like this.
  7. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    There is nothing worse than fishing a beach which is known to hold good ting, bream and jews and walk away emty handed without a bite- but with some planning- esp with LMFSCC I can make the odds a bit better in my favour with the Almanac.

of course- I tell ALL my students that it is called fishing, not catching and therefore you can go fishless for days and weeks at one spot, then return on a favourable tide and moon and reap the rewards. Persistence is the key up here, even when I dont catch fish I aim to learn something... whether it be something about the time of day, the tides, wind and even my bait presentation so I can try harder next time.

It helps if you learn and or have knowledge of what to look for when fishing- I remember sight casting unweighted baits to big Bream I had berleyed up on Lane Cove River, in pitch dark with no lights except for the moon. Also goes the same for around the beaches and offshore- the birds are the key especially when chasing salmon, taylor, bonito, tuna and other pelagics.

I guess over time I will discover if the almanac actually works, I was brought up fishing with my grandfather fishing the beaches up the mid nth coast NSW, we always fished the last 2hours of the run in, nd the first 2 hours of the run out... Low tides were for worming and collecting pippies regardless of the time of day. I do try to apply this knowledge to all my fishing, but sometimes having an extra "something" can mean the difference between going home not catching anything and at least having a little bit of fun... I am now looking for ways to catch my own bait- like nippers (both pink and green) and poddy mullet and yakkas so I wont have to buy them in the future- plus I can show kids and adults that half the fun is being able to catch your own bait (I used to go every few days when I live down in Sydney to the local ferry wharves and stock up on fresh yakkas and mullet at night- and for around 3years I didnt buy bait at all).

There are plenty of good things about fishing I can teach people, but I need to be able to practice them before I can embark on teaching others, so I find I am a little bit rusty on catching my own bait as I am used to just buying it locally, but I hope that will change in the coming weeks- so I will be off to some known good poddy and yakka locations and uploading some videos on how to catch your own bait. After I get proficient at atching them then I plan to learn how to catch squid which is something I have only ever done in Sydney harbour when chasing kingfish with mates over the years.

Tight lines

Anthony

blair, kev209 and diesel like this.
  8. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I have used the almanac for over 10 years in freshwater. I have no doubt it works. On saying that, if you have a day off from work and the almanac says it is a 'poor' day, you should still go.

Apart from the 'peak times' you mention, the specific 'bite times' each day are also important. These are based around when the moon is 'above' and 'below'...in one almanac I have used these are referred to as the 'major' bite times. There are also what are called the 'minor' bite times which occur 6 hours from the 'major' times. I have spent many hours fishing at night when I can view the moon. Without doubt, I can see the fishing activity increase when the moon is above.

The 'feeding times' also occur during the day as well. If I am going fishing for a half day I generally plan to get there for one of the feeding times be it 2 or 3 (whatever) pm and then fish into the night. You hear comments at times that the fish went 'nuts' and then just switched off! So what made them go nuts! I think there would be a good chance that it coincided with one of the bite periods.

There are other factors (barometric pressure) too that will come into play that will have an effect but as I said, to me the almanac is an important 'tool' in planning my trips. On the better days, I like it when a big 'high' is coming over. Best thing to do is to keep records and see how everything lines up.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Lunar...tic!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    blair, diesel, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Dear Lunar...tic!
    Great to have you join us on TBX
    and hope you continue to post on our little site.
    I read your first post with much interest.
    It was both easy reading and informative. It also convinced me that I should take more notice of moon times, although I never fish at night these days. As for tide times; I have never convinced myself one way or another about the best tide levels to fish. In the estuaries, I believe it less important than say, on a surf beach. This perhaps needs some homework done. I fish when the wind and weather conditions are comfortable and generally fish for the whole day. I'm sure I have caught fish at every level of tide, both rising and falling and top and bottom of tides. One thing I do agree with 100%, involves the barometric pressure of which you speak. I firmly believe that when that pressure drops, the fish's metabolism drops too and they become much more lethargic. They rarely eat during this time as I have read.
    Nor have I ever kept records other than some pics and video. While memorable fish are stored only in my memory, there remains the ability for my mind to expand and the fish have become considerably bigger as I get older.
    Thanks for the wise words. They are appreciated.
    Noel (AKA Old fisho)
    Not having a shot at your friend Jim either, seriously

blair, Rod Bender, diesel and 2 others like this.
  10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I have my own Almanac. Any chance you get to fish take it.
    And of course when your a lot older when your get up and go out does your lethargic body you should go.
    I am not sure about Moon phases etc, but I do know there are times fish are definitely not on the bite and other times they are. I think Autumn is a very good season for fishing, both for comfort and fish activity. I find Lake shore fishing during the day in February is too hot, maybe nights are OK but I wont chance falling over which is a problem. Especially when you fish alone.
    As for the Almanac a few blokes use Apps with the moon and tides etc and seem to be happy with the results.
    Wally.

blair, Rod Bender, Old fisho and 3 others like this.
  11. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    The only almanac I use is the one between my ears .
    The two things that an almanac can't take in to consideration and they are very important things is the weather and water temp ......

blair, Old fisho, Rod Bender and 3 others like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I have to admit I'm of that ilk too.
    Noel

blair, Tackleberry, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  13. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Shirts have arrived along with cap... look awesome... my wifey and I rocking the new combo

YYYEEEWWW!!!

LMFSCC_Back.jpg LMFSCC_Front + Cap.jpg

blair, kev209, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  14. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Yep...like I said other things come into play! With your experience, if you combined that with the almanac, you may slay 'em! ;) As I said in my first post, the almanac can be a good tool, just don't be reliant on it and don't 'not go fishing' just cos the almanac says it is a 'bad' day!

On another note, I spoke to an employee of a trout hatchery a while ago who also like fishing. I asked him if he had learnt anything from his work that helps him with his fishing. The answer...the almanac and bite times. I guess they feed the fish at the same time every day but if it coincides with the feeding times of the alamanac, the fish are a lot more aggressive!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Loves sunsets!

blair, reelaxation, diesel and 2 others like this.
  15. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I have used alamacs for a long time and they most definatly work, have had great fishing for trout at times I wouldnt normally trout fish but the Alamac said it was a good time to go , such as 2pm in the arvo at 3 mile dam. Good in saltwater as well. The app I use these days is called fishing and hunting solunar time, its on my phone.
    This post has Reminded me to mark all the new and full moon periods on my year planner.
    Also go fishing when I feel like it regardless of moon.
    Another thing I have been told and confirmed is that trout often come on the bite in a lake at high and low tide times (fort Denison) I know theres no tide in a lake .
    I am spewin that I couldnt fish the new moon at eucenbene this month the mudeyes move to the shore.

16. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Low and high tides coincide with the moon being 'above' or 'below'...which are the better feeding times according to the almanac.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Doesn't need a tide!;)

17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    In my limited experience, one thing always stood out. I never fished at night with a full moon in a clear sky. In the mountains where there is no/little pollution in the air, the moonlight can be so bright it puts a shadow on the bottom from a fly line, to say nothing of how visible it is when moving on the surface. Trout used to freak out but don't with the same line during a sunny day. have never caught one at that time.
    I'm not a fish and will never understand all their funny ways.
    Noel