1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

AN OLD ONE

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Old fisho, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    No, not me this time.
    We talked through this a couple of years ago but it's always worth a rerun.
    While out with may mate Brian the other day, an old subject arose. Brian is paranoid about sunburn and skin cancer. He wears a hat with an extended shade fitted. It goes around his neck and covers his face; held there with a spot of Velcro. It does suggest wearing a burka as only his eyes are seen. Brian won't go out without long pants and shirt sleeves and all this is good and sensible.
    But he had no answer when I asked why he goes to all that effort but doesn't wear gloves. Skin cancer is notorious amongst fishos and particularly in two areas. One is the ears because so many guys only wear baseball caps that provide no protection at all. Medicos suggest they are the most useless of all head gear. The other is the backs of their hands which are exposed to the sun all day. Watch for a while, the older fishos hands. You'll see the hard looking lumps here and there. You won't see it much in the younger guys but make no mistake; you will in time. It's a long term silent killer.
    I have worn sun gloves for around twenty years now and I don't go out without them. I use a brand called 'Uveeto' as they are light, have the tips of finger exposed and are easy to wash. They also have a reinforced section in the palm of the hands. Once on you forget about them.
    But guess what: At almost eighty years old; I have still developed a couple of hard dry bits on the back of my hands. They will continue to grow in size. The medico isn't concerned but is certain they are the result of exposure from youth until twenty years ago. I think mine are different to some other types of skin cancers that cause many deaths annually.
    It's not something we should treat lightly. If they are not always terminal, they are always ugly to see. They can be avoided. Noel.

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've got a few of those lumps on the back of my left hand and just put it down to something that probably old men get. Never considered the possibility of melanomas occurring on a part of the body that is as tough as old boot leather.

A while back I had a lump chopped off my back leg that concerned me and it turned out to be what is known as a senile wart - a harmless growth.

Gotta admit that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to protecting myself against the ravages of sunlight. I will preach to others to cover up, but have a tendency to ignore my own advice - always had the attitude that if it was going to get me, it would have done so by now.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Jeff, the inside of your hand may be like old boot leather but the back has very thin skin. That's probably the only place where I'm so-called 'thin skinned'.
    Yes, old men do get them but it's not their sole prerogative. I'm sure that had we taken a bit more care earlier they would be less common.
    At what point did you start to have the 'would have done so by now' philosophy?

creekboy and diesel like this.
  4. Hen and Chook

Hen and Chook Active Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Good advice Noel, unfortunately I've got the perfect skin for the Australian climate, "NOT" so after many years spent at sea in the Navy I now have to go for skin checks 4 times a year. I've had numerous skin cancers cut out and burnt off over the years and no doubt will keep having to do so for the rest of my life. I'm lucky that I'm covered under DVA so don't have to pay for anything skin cancer related however I wish I'd known more about the dangers of the sun when I was younger. Unfortunately my brother who was also in the Navy died from a melanoma at the age of 40.

Chook

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Hard to say, Noel, perhaps it was around 10 years back when I realised that I had joined the ranks of senior citizenry, aka old farts. I got talking to mates who had gone through health issues and it started me thinking about how lucky I had been with very few problems throughout my life. Sadly, all those mates are now gone, with me being the last man standing.

It's only recently that I have started wearing a long sleeve fishing shirt, for years I refused to wear one because I never liked the restriction when casting. As for the hat, I'm still working on that one. I wear baseball caps most of the time and I've got ears on me like a wingnut, so I should change my headgear - next trip to town.

Hey, Chook, good to see you back on the forum. That's sad about your brother - far too young.

Jeff

6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    A couple of years back I went to our GP for a check up, Lyn accompanied me as usual after the Doctor had seen to my issue he noticed a bit of a pimple type thing on the tip of Lyn's nose, he said I don't like the look of that and refereed her to a Dermatologist. It turned out to be a very aggressive type of cancer which was removed. How lucky she is the Doctor noticed it.

7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    All I can say is that in vastly different ways, which to my mind make it rather conclusive, whether realised or not, you tacitly agree with the first post. Perhaps we can't stop what has started; I don't know that, but it's never too late to take preventative measures. At worst it can only minimise risks from then on. Noel

8. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Very interesting post. I have had melanoma removed from my back a few times and now have annual full body skin checks. Still dont wear gloves or long sleeve shirts fishing (when I get to go). Cheers, Lyall.

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Yes, Noel, I do agree with your first post and you are absolutely right, it's never too late to take preventative measures. If only we could start from scratch again.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Old fisho like this.