1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Another one

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, Sep 26, 2019.

1. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    All I'm saying is I had a great time
    download 1.jpg

Old fisho, Dickson, DeeBeeKay and 3 others like this.
  2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    ok you caught a good fish? you have risen to the challenge of the gauntlet being thrown down and answered whith an even bigger carp?

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Ahh but they look like they are getting bigger, :) cheers davo

4. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    The big carp I was after, I've been told it has been caught

Old fisho, creekboy and Rod Bender like this.
  5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    don't u hate it when someone catches your fish, it probably had your name on it and everything:mad:

6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I don't know about my name. But it had my hook, ledger stop and about 150 meters of line in its back pocket.

Old fisho, creekboy and Dickson like this.
  7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    bugger, just need to find the end of the line and u may have him, s--t good fish taking 150m line would win challenge I think.

8. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I was told the carp that was caught was in excess of 10 LB.

When I lost the lot I was using light gear he just took off nothing I could do.
    I had the drag set 3/4 and using my hand on the spool occasionally, he just kept going finally he headed for the reeds and that was it. The Adrenalin rush and a bit of chest tightness was worth it. This may sound funny to some but I would class this as one of my best fishing experiences. I will always remember how fast and powerful he felt. I've heard fisho's say they got spooled, but this is the first time I have experienced loosing a fish this way. Over the years I have landed a few big carp most have put up a bit of a fight others haven't. I won a comp yonks ago, that carp went 5.4 kg I was using a 12' ? Abu Bronco ledger rod with a Daiwa 1500 reel loaded with 4 lb line that is my best effort.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Old fisho, blair, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  9. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    i once hooked a carp about 14lb in Burrndong, he took 30m of flyline in a few seconds then stripped off a huge amount of backing, so much so I could no longer \see the flyline. Then I was worried a ski boat would run over my backing and lose my flyline. Lucky i had 12lb tippet, and was able to exert a fair bit of side strain on him, and eventually landed her.
    The 18lber I got in burraga dam also took a lot of backing before i was able to stop her. For carp I never use less then 10lb tippett.
    Cheers Pete

10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    quite a good fish on 4lb.

Old fisho, creekboy and Madfisher like this.
  11. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    What are your favourite carp flys pete, I will post a pic of mine one of these days, I don't know what it is called may not have a name will have to invent a name maybe "terminator" short for carp terminator or something similarly vicious sounding so I feel tough while using it:cool:

creekboy likes this.
  12. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Mate the fly i use the most is and adaption of a woolly worm, I add a black glass bead at the front to make it look more buggy, or if fishing fast water( we have one river where you will find lots of carp in the runs) the same fly with a dark brass bead to get it down better. Next favourite is one i buy of Trout flies .com its called a damsel buggar and is a carp specific fly but the cod like it to. two having been caught on that fly by accident now.
    TIGHT LINES Pete

creekboy likes this.
  13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Bloody annoying catching cod while chasing carp, not. Happened to me once on a hamils killer. glo bugs work well at Liddell and a sort of stretched glo bug in two colours which I will post a pic next time I am near my flyfishing gear hopefully today.
    thx Blair

Old fisho, creekboy and Madfisher like this.
  14. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    My young bloke Michael got a lovely 53cm cod on one of those damsels. Seen a carp swim past a log, put the fly in next to the log, and came up tight on a cod. Nice.
    Cheers Pete

Old fisho and creekboy like this.
  15. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Awesome, I would say he is well and truly hooked on flyfishing now if he wasn't already.

Old fisho, Madfisher and creekboy like this.
  16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Right I finally got of my arse and took a pic of some terminators, anyone knows another name for these let me know I got some off a mate I think they may be a hunter valley fishing club design. Glo bug bottom right, unweighted. Carp flys.JPG The carp generally smash them.

17. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Blair carp seem to like pink for some reason. My young bloke is hooked but has a very narrow focus its either luring for cod, or flyfishing for carp. Trout dont interest him much as they do not offer the same sight fishing opportunities .
    Although I started with pink flies, i find on heavily fished waters more natural colours work better.

Cheers Pete

Rod Bender likes this.
  18. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Maybe I'm a bit weird but after lots of game fishing trips, I believe drags should never exceed 30% of the line class.
    I know it is critical with big fish and the increased drag as the spool diameter decreases, but I use it pretty much all the time.
    Those sort of flies are common in NZ when fish are on spawning runs up the rivers. They are simply egg flies and there's many versions. The nearest to those I've seen over there were called Hydro Hustlers, in two colours like those but with a white hackle at the head and between the colours. They work well when trout are spawning. Glow bugs there are normally heavily weighted to get down in fast water.
    Noel

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  19. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Interesting! At times when I use corn, I use food dye to color it. Have used black and red...lately just black as I believe the color will stand out and attract the carp. I have uncolored corn on as well.

May have a look for pink food dye me thinks!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Master (bait) chef!:cool:

Old fisho likes this.
  20. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Apparently the terminators work on spawn run trout. hopefully i will get up to the snowy soon and have a go.

Madfisher likes this.