1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Anyone want to off load a ...

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Master Baiter, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Low mount Alvey type Rod seven foot about two to 4kgs as I need to replace mine as today I cast out a bait and it cracked and a length of about six inches just teased itself into thin fibres. I suppose thats what you get for a cheap $22.00 Rod over 40 years ago. Having said that the reel an Alvey 45A1 was cheaper and is as good as day 1.
    So if anyone has a Rod in top condition they would like to sell, Please pm me.
    Cheers Wally

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Master Baiter, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Well there you go, I'm always learning something on TBX. I've never been an Alvey man, my mates swore by them, but I preferred to use overheads on the beach up until better quality spin reels became available.

Jeff

5. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    All the Alveys world wide and so little Rod makers even in Oz. Most jumped ship when Alvey was closing down. The Rods are closer to mid mount an each way bet. Jeff is right the Anglers Warehouse 2 piece 7 footer for $60 is not a true alvey type only name it looks too long more for spinning. From Anglers Ware house.
    Anglers Warehouse (Anglers Warehouse)

Jun 20, 8:37 AM AEST

Hi Wally,

No other brands we carry are made to suit an alvey reel. Maybe you could get the ROD500 7ft and cut the butt down a little to where you feel it would be ideal.

Have a great day
    Kind Regards,

Team AW

Try finding a second hand one.
    Wally

kev209, diesel and creekboy like this.
  6. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    CAPS AND I THOUGHT IT WAS MARKETING THE PROBLEM WITH ALVEY.
    STUPID ANSWER BELOW NOW I THINK I KNOW WHY.
    Can it get any worse. Wally

Glenn Alvey
    Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2019 9:01 AM
    To: Wally
    Subject: RE: Rod Reel Combo.

Hi Wally,

Thanks for contacting us, yes reels generally outlast the rods.

If fishing from a boat the 7-8’ rod would be sufficient. https://alvey.com.au/products/rod500/

From the bank I would recommend say 9-10’6”. https://alvey.com.au/products/rod550p/

If you can get a rod suitable for the Alvey, low winch mount first runner about half way up the rod, you will get better casting.

If fishing from a boat this is not such a concern.
    Best regards
    Glenn Alvey

Alvey Reels (Australia)

P 07 3271 2844

F 07 3271 2451

E galvey@alvey.com.au

W www.alvey.com.au

A 2-6 Antimony Street Carole Park Q 4300

M PO Box 105 Goodna Q 4300

7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    No wonder the company is having difficulties, Wally.

The line that got me is: "If you can get a rod suitable for the Alvey" WTF!!!

They either make them or they don't??? Their website still lists them.

I will ask around some of my Qld mates, somebody might have one.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Master Baiter like this.
  8. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Its a pitty you cant even buy a blank here anymore i used to make all my own rods as you couldnt buy one worth having 35 odd years ago .
    The 80s and early 90s were the golden time for rod building but the majors realised this and lifted their game and now you can't even buy a S177 7W it was a very popular blank for the beach in Vic as the C108XL was one of the best blanks for a bream bait rod or if you build it to suit a great black fish (ludric) rod .

creekboy, Master Baiter and kev209 like this.
  9. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    "If you can get a rod suitable for the Alvey" WTF!!! Me too.

I have tried all over the place even a Gold Coast Pawn Brokers at Miami and Cash converters at Broad Beach as I would imagine that interstate visitors would buy rods in shops or such places and sell when they finished with them.I was told they do but it is like a loan system in and straight out. That is what happens to any type of Fishing gear from Rod combos to Waders.
    Jeff if you can put e on to someting or someone I would really appreciate it.
    Wally

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  10. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Hi Tac, I remember up at Miami on the Gold Coast many, many years ago the Rods were Bamboo canes with the reels held on by worm clips. You could buy all the fittimgs because the Rods were between 10 to 18 foot and they worked well, all the ones I saw were big long Rods not two piece or three
    Wally

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  11. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Yep back in the 70 as a kid I used to make cane surf rods out of female cane and the old FUJI orange and white or the black and white runners but we were a bit more flash and used a FUJI bind on reel clip with brickys line and Araldite two pack epoxy .
    [​IMG]
    All good fun and it gave use a sense of pride to catch sharks on rods we made our selves I even remember how much the cane blanks cost us $15 for female and $11 for male ......

Cheers TAC

12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I sat and watched a couple of blokes shore based fishing in the River Rhine, Cologne, Germany some years back. The rods were multi piece hollow fibre glass 10 metres long and using a sinker that we would probably utilise as a boat anchor here. The river was very fast flowing due to snow melt, hence the heavy sinker. The rods had line guides but no reels, the line as thick as venetian blind cord being held in coils on one arm with heavy mono leaders and about half a dozen hooks.

I had a real chuckle when one bloke got very excited when he caught a fish no bigger than livies that I get in a cast net. I suppose in a country as small as Germany, land locked apart from the northern Baltic region and more than 80 million people, ya just gotta take what ya can get.

Jeff

13. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Yes in some ways we are the lucky country but in others not so lucky ......

14. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Tac, my wife was born and raised in communist East Germany and from what she has told me about her life on the wrong side of the Berlin Wall, I would go as far to say that we are a very lucky country and have been for a long time.

As a kid growing up in the 50's, I never went hungry - there was always a decent feed on the table, fish, rabbit, beef, mutton & pork plus the best of vegies from our own garden. My wife on the other hand, ate mainly horse-meat and if lucky, the occasional spud. The only greens that she can remember eating as a child were nettles that were boiled and heavily salted to disguise the awful taste.

We are the lucky country because out there somewhere today there are people who would kill for a plate full of horse meat and have no idea what it's like to live the way we do in Australia. I don't have much to moan about, life is good.

Jeff

Master Baiter, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  15. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    We are a lucky country.

creekboy and diesel like this.
  16. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    X2. Cheers, Lyall.

diesel and kev209 like this.
  17. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Wally, an Alvey fan who was on a forum used a rod brand...Snyder. These are a bit more expensive and since then the 'Snyder' brand has been taken over by Wilson. Check out the link, apparently they make rods for both spin and baitcast reels. These are longer than 7 foot, although I have no idea if they have shorter ones.
    http://www.wilsonfishing.com/Products/Rods/Snyder-Glas-Rods/Contessa
    Downside is, I checked a few online stores and the majority were 'out of stock'!!!! To be honest, I may even look at these myself one day as a better quality option than the 'Black Queen' rods.
    Cheers
    Team Bender

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  18. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've got a Snyder Glas 13' beach rod that I bought back in the 70's, good gear. Wilson Fishing still use the Snyder Glas blanks so they would be good rods.

I also have a 12' Len Butterworth beach rod that I will never part with. It's a shame that some of the best rods have been discontinued, but I guess that's progress.

Jeff

creekboy, Tackleberry and kev209 like this.
  19. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Thanks Jim, I actually bought two Alveys today on line at A ---- W----- they have them on special so I bought two in case the seven foot is not any good a 50 and a 55. Plus tortue line I like it on Alveys while I was at it.
    My twelve footer low mount Rod I bought was an Ozy made Jarvis Walker Marlo in 1974 great Rod yellow with wooden butt and a big rubber end which I had to cut down to go in the rod bucket. I no longer have the Rod but I have the reel a 650 A1 all good. Only ever used it on Hollidays at Miami Beach for a few years. that was when just on the Highway was the Red Lobster Resturant before it burned down, and just behind us was the mountain with the great Houdini performed. Great Fishing then big Bream and Tailor
    Wally

20. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Hi MB, I know I'm getting off the topic a bit. In 1910 at Diggers Rest Houdini made the first maned flight in Australia.
    Apparently after that he returned to the US with his plane and never flew again. I was unaware that he had ever been to Australia until we moved to Melton about 10 years ago. Every now and then his name pops up as it did in your post. By the places that have been mentioned he must have visited Australia a few times.

creekboy likes this.