1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Anyone want to off load a ...

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Master Baiter, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Hi Kev,Found this on Google apparently a lot of escapologists and magicians copy the legendry Harry Houdini. (Gold Coast magician and escape artist Arthur Coghlan was the resident magician at Magic Mountain for almost 10 years, performing more ... straightjacket escape, a signature move of legendary escapologist Harry Houdini)
    So this is a different one.
    Wally

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I pulled the trigger today and ordered 2 Snyder Contessa rods through Wilson Fishing.
    http://www.wilsonfishing.com/Products/Rods/Snyder-Glas-Rods/Contessa
    They are going to be my light trout/redfin/carp rods! :cool: I look at these rods as being a high class 'Black Queen'! I ordered the mid mount models and will either have a spin reel or baitrunner on them. After these rods arrive and my 'Edge' rod arrives, I will be placing a ban on all fishing tackle spending. Unless I decide I need another baitrunner for these rods. Of course if the rods are brilliant, I may have to get the low mount ones and some Alvey sidecasts!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    It never ends!

kev209 and diesel like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Hi Jim, ROD SPENDER, I mean bender. :D:D

Rod Bender likes this.
  4. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Jim, I reckon that fishing with an Alvey is much a fun outfit as a most efficient fish catcher. Far more sensitive than any other outfit. You can even feel a yabbie crawling around even through the handles, if it stops moving you know it is in cover so pull it out and on you go. I have no drag on mine they are A models and you can watch a timid fish playing with it and when he takes off you are in control with your hand.
    I have had two bad birds nests in the line when I bought my first Alvey over 50 years ago
    Three steps I take is to use a line that if I wrap it around my fingertips and when I pull it off it springs out straight.
    I leave almost a quarter of an inch gap between the line and the top of the back of the spool, and the line tapered down to the front.
    Once I used to pull a couple of metres of the line no swivels jus line and if I got a twist loop I would pull line off a bit further than my cast distance with nothing on it and rewind between my fingers to eliminate twist. Now I do it once in about 50 hours of use.
    And usual rig set ups with Swivels. Roller type.
    Wally

diesel, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Wally, I did think if going 'old school' and getting an Alvey centre pin reel. Some research I did online showed that they could be cast. Alvey have a very flash, metal model!
    https://alvey.com.au/category/float-series/
    However, a very experienced fisho said it was too much hassle to cast them. No doubt line twist would not be an issue anyway. When you use your Alvey, do you have to wind the line on evenly or does it go on ok without attention?
    Cheers
    Team Bender

kev209 likes this.
  6. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    You have to put it on level yourself running the line between fore finger and thumb back and forth every few turn a little higher at the back. At night just run the fingertips across spool to feel that it is even.
    I pinch the line keeper together a bit so the line Stays in it otherwise it can pop out.
    I float fish with my Alveys as they have no drag. You can let your line off of the reel with out turning it to side cast and with a weighted float you can side cast. Saying that I put a no 2 or 3 ball sinker under a styrene float you must have a swivel above all rigs it is the last thing back on to the main line. You will have no problem's
    Wally

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.