1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Back on the Goulburn

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Hen and Chook, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Hen and Chook

Hen and Chook Active Member

Sep 9, 2009
    I ventured back home to the Molesworth area to catch up with old friends and also my son who is in the Navy based down at Cerberus. I grew up in this area so I was looking forward to getting back to some familiar water and try for some trout. I stayed on a farm which my Mate owns which has about a kilometre of Goulburn River frontage and some good lure and fly fishing water. Thursday the weather was horrific with 43 degrees and almost gale force winds however I still had the lures in the water not long after getting there and despite the conditions I landed a small brown and lost several others. My son and a few mates fished with bait over the weekend however hardly got a bite. I landed a few more browns on lure and one on the fly however there wasn't much feeding activity on the surface so you had to work hard to get the trout to take a fly. I hooked a good sized rainbow however lost him as he tail danced and threw the lure. There were plenty of fish that would follow the lure right to the bank however they just weren't interested in taking anything. I caught a small redfin and a carp of about 5 pound on bait however that was it for the weekend. Overall not a lot of fish caught but still great to get back home for a visit.

IMG_6312.JPG
    Small Brown Trout on the lure
    IMG_6322.JPG
    Another Brown on the lure
    IMG_6333.JPG
    Small Redfin

Chook

blair, creekboy, Old fisho and 8 others like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Well done Chook. I've always liked fishing in new locations, but there's something special about going back to where it all started. For the past couple of months I've spent a fair bit of time going over old ground (and water) where I fished in my childhood - some days it seems that nothing has changed in the past 60 plus years and on other days I have been disappointed to discover that a place that I once knew no longer exists, but that's progress whether I like it or not.

Jeff

blair, creekboy, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  3. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Great Report Chook, been a while since i have targeted trout.
    Cheers Pete

blair, creekboy, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Same for me.
    Haven't caught a trout on fly for two years.
    Noel
    Still thinks they're a top fish