1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Back on the water......

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ditch, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Hi All,
    Thought I would put up a quick intro. Born & raised in Barraba, NSW, a small country town on the Manilla River (only 150 meters from home), part of the Namoi system. Iv`e been a keen fisho for as long as I remember. Lot of trips with the old man when I was young, mainly fishing off the bank until he bought a 10 foot punt & 4.5 hp outboard when I was around 11 years old (still got the tinnie).

Mainly fished inland on the Manilla, Namoi, Gwydir & Peel rivers & Keepit, Copeton, Chaffey & Splitrock Dams. Lived & worked in Gunnedah for many years & have fished the Namoi around there a lot, had access to some good holes on private property over the years there & of course Keepit Dam not far away.

Do enjoy a bit of beach or estuary fishing when I get the chance, haven`t been to the coast for over 5 years now, will have to rectify that soon!.

Mainly fish using lures these days, got sick of catching carp on bait, although still pick up a few of the pests on lures. Did do a bit of trout fishing years ago around Coolah & the Horton River but the drought dried up the streams & they have never recovered.

Living back in Barraba these days. Good base for Copeton & Chaffey Dams (2 hours away), Keepit (1 hour) & Splitrock (1/2 hour, 15 minutes when full). Manilla River on my doorstep, the Namoi, Peel & Gwydir an hour away.

Looking forward to hearing about other forum members catches, tips & techniques.

Just got my 4 meter runabout back on the water so keen to get out over summer, doing some camping & taking some photos, catching some fish will be a bonus!

[​IMG]

Cheers, Ditch.

Madfisher, Rod Bender, diesel and 3 others like this.
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Active Member

Aug 17, 2016
    Great photo

Ditch, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    X2

Ditch and creekboy like this.
  4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    X3,and welcome to TBX. Cheers, creekboy.

Ditch and kev209 like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Welcome to the forum, Ditch. That is one hell of a good photo.

You mentioned that you fish the Gwydir, around the Bingara area I would assume. It's a place that I usually spend a little bit of time at when travelling through the region - I've landed some nice cod in a couple of spots and the last time I was down that way I was pleasantly surprised to see fewer carp being hooked. Has there been a decline in their numbers in the Gwydir?

Jeff :cool:

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    G`day Jeff,
    Thanks for the welcome.
    Seem to be less carp in that river for some reason & no carp at all in Copeton dam & upstream of there in the Gwydir. Even the Redfin seem to have disappeared from Copeton. Some good water just east of Bingara (you probably know the spot) & around the Bundarra area with a lot of nice holes around the granite boulders that hold some nice fish.

That photo was taken at Glenriddle Reserve at the head of Splitrock Dam, just 15 mins from home. The dam has to be at 90% for the water to get up that far(only 30% at the moment). One of the reasons I like getting out fishing (apart from the fish!) is the chance of a nice sunrise to start the day.

7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I was talking to a bloke from the Bingara Anglers Club a few years ago about the decrease in carp numbers and his theory was that there was a dramatic reduction in the carp population after the introduction of bigger cod into the river. It seems that the message has gotten through to not just locals, but tourists also that catch & release is the way to go with cod, especially the bigger fish. The fish in the pic below was caught just recently somewhere near Bingara, estimated at around the 60lb mark and thankfully it was released back into the river.

lanagan_girls_cod.jpg

Jeff :cool:

8. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Welcome, I spent a bit of time in Inverell many years ago, fished Copeton a bit as well as trout up the back of the Mackintyre River and Paradise creek. Is Manilla Mead still made ? Howard.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  9. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    What they said!:)
    Cheers
    Jim

10. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    That could well be the case, the larger Murray Cod would defiantly have an impact on carp numbers. I think the move by NSW Fisheries to limit the size of Cod that you can keep to the 55 to 75 cm sizes was a good move & that more people fishing are releasing Cod back into the water regardless of size.

Iv`e noticed that a lot of the smaller rivers & creeks that do not have large cod seem to be overrun with carp, that is certainly the case with the Manilla River near home. I think that restocking rivers with larger fish would work better than releasing fingerlings, if Carp are taking lures they would be chasing small fish as well.

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  11. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    G`day Howard,
    Plan on getting up to Copeton a bit this year, still looking for that meter plus cod!. Fished the Mackintyre for Cod around Yetman, wasn`t aware that there was trout upstream.

I don`t think Duttons Meadery is open anymore. I know the owner passed away several years ago & I haven`t seen the sign on the side of the road for a while. Pity, It was a nice drop!.

Cheers, Ditch

12. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Over 35 years ago, I was on relief staff and would stay at a hotel in Inverell. 5:30 Id be in the car and off past Elsmore to either where the road crossed Paradise Creek or the Mackintyre. Come dark I would build a fire and cook a trout and a potato wrapped in alfoil for dinner, every night! The excess trout the hotel would freeze for me to bring home. I did go up there on holidays a few times and camped on Paradise Station. The creeks were stocked with Rainbow, Brown, and Brook. I went back and had a look one time after a drought and the creek was dry. Don't know if it ever recovered. Was a great fishery. No:1 celta in black and gold. Howard

diesel, creekboy, Ditch and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Well, there you go, trout on my doorstep & didn`t even know!. Might have to get up there & check if they are still about.

Thanks for the tip, Ditch.

14. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Welcome to the forum Ditch, and looking forward to your reports. Down here flyfishing for carp has taken off big time and is having and effect on carp numbers. I trhink I removed something in excess of 300 last year, and on one river the water was noticeably clearer after culling for three years.

kev209, reelaxation and creekboy like this.
  15. Ditch

Ditch Active Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Cheers Madfisher, Might have to get into flyfishing for carp as a way to reduce their numbers a bit & to have a bit of fun. Even though they are a pest they are not bad sport to catch. I was out having a fish over the weekend & had a Carp take a lure that was just floating on the surface while I was getting another lure out of a snag, never had that happen before!.

Culled about a dozen Carp over the weekend, not much else biting except a few juvenile Cod so I suppose catching some Carp is better than not catching anything at all!.

Rod Bender, kev209, creekboy and 3 others like this.
  16. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    So True mate, and Carp on fly is great fun. Brings out all the premier hunting instints, of spotting, the stalk, carefull presentation, and finally the eat and fight.
    cheers Pete