1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Baitcasters...gear ratio.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    Just wondering what gear ratios (baitcasters) people choose for different applications. For natives, especially cod, I like it slow but I do have different speed reels. The slowest I have is a 4.9:1. On this reel I will use spinnerbaits amongst other things. Some larger minnow type lures I have I will use a bit faster reel. Because of the way I fish (sometimes on another planet and not paying much attention), I think it is important for me to choose a reel that you are happy with (the speed) as opposed to having a quicker reel but deliberately having to wind very slowly. Of course you may not be able to afford more than one reel so you make do. As well as choosing a relevant speed for the fish you are chasing, is the ratio important to the lure you intend using? So...what ratio baitcast reels do people use for different fish/applications?
    cheers
    Jim

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hi Jim. On my shimano curado k I am using 7.4:1 I mostly work lures and sp,s slowly but it u can wind in nice and quickly when required. 7.2:1 on my other curado, the k feels better.

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  3. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    More on the reels Jim, I think it is the micro module gears that make the curado k feel better, also the k doesn't seem to get saltwater into its bearings like the older curado, it has an o ring under rh spool tension knob and different spool design, i never blast them whith fresh water to get the salt off and therefore push the salt into the reel. If u were only using large bibbed cod lures or reef fishing using large sinkers I would go for a lower ratio like a 4 or 5:1.
    If u are near the central coast nsw feel free to pm me and we can go for a cast and get the feel for a 7.4:1 whith your lures.
    Now I feel like going on a cod mission might go to Burrinjuck dam haven't been there since I was a kid.

cheers blair

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Personally I think when your getting into gear ratios on a real your making things more complicated than it needs to be, usually when I'm using lures I'll throw it in a bit of shallow water first to see the action and how fast or slow I should retrieve just my humble opinion.
    Team lazy
    Keeping things simple.

5. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    That would seem to be the logical method to me. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209, diesel and Rod Bender like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    From my experience with baitcasters, which is about all I ever use up here in the north, I have found the best gear ratio is around 6:1. It can be cranked slower for diving hard-bodies & plastics or cranked a bit faster for top-water lures.

Like Lazyfisher, I also like to work a lure in the shallows to determine the right retrieval speed for the best action, but when fishing in some of the extremely dirty water of inland rivers, it's more a matter of feeling the action of the lure rather than seeing it.

Jeff

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.