1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Baitrunner questions.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I have just started using baitrunners in fresh water. I use them in open waters (such as the channels ) as I believe if I use them in snaggy water the fish will be in the snag before I know it That's my idea anyway.

I have the cheapest Shimano model...the ST. From the few bites I have had, I have noticed that the line hasn't run despite it being on freespool but the bites were minute. Perhaps I was expecting too much. When setting the drag, I have noticed that the drag is not as smoorh as other reels I have. I can live with that.

I intend on getting another couple reels, possibly larger. Just wondering if there is much difference (performance wise) as you spend more money. I am not interested in the expensive Thunnus but if the 'D' has a lot smoother drag or line running capability, then I may pay the extra money. Also, the Penn liveliners, are they worth looking at?
    Cheers
    Team Bender

AJ Fishman, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    I have an ST 4000 baitrunner and has been used with no service for nearly 7years fault free- yes the drag can be a bit sticky st times, but I think they are awesome value for money and I have caught some cracking flatties/bream, 'ting and even some decent sharks to 1m+ on it.
    If you want something a little bit better go for the 4000OC model, drag is slightly less than the D model but is a bit smoother than the ST models.
    If you want to go one better still see if you can get an original 3500B, they are heavy compared to the later models but are bulletproof -I have a 3500, 2 X 4500 and a 6500B all get regular use and havent failed me.

As an alternative (and quite cheap) maybe check out the Okuma baitfeeder range- I am a long time fan of Okuma reels and their baitfeeders are really good for the $$$, smoother than the ST but wont take the punnishment I dish out on the beaches every week, but in fresh water I dont see why this couldnt be an option for you mate.

Sorry cannot compare the Penn Slammer reels, I have heard good things about them but have never had one in my hands to test- over all I still think the Shimano baitrunners reels are by far the best, with parts easy to sourse and decent warranty.

So you need to remember that not all fiosh will bite and make a run for cover - so optimally you dont need to use the baitrunner feature all the time- but I like to use it esp on the beaches where you never know what will take the bait- and fishing in hard cover near the reef means I know when a fish is on. Dont set the rear drag too light- I let it out all the way first, then slowly tighten until I am happy with it- I guess I am setting around 500gm if tension as the rear drag only has a max of 1kg with the baitrunner feature set to on- so I try to set it between complete free spool and around half way for best results.
    You might want to check the drag washers if you can pull apart and maybe add some more lube I have heard that some shimano reels come out of the factory with so little lube they need to be checked- even on higher end reels like stradic's so it pays to check them aswell.

Hope this helps Jim

Tight lines mate
    Anthony

3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Sure does! I will stick with Shimano. At least the 'OC' or maybe the 'D' if I can afford them. I intend on doing some salt fishing some time so I may use them in salt. In the meantime, they will be going on 9 foot Snyder glass rods for impoundment fishing. Maybe a bit overkill but I am happy to spend the money on whatever form of fishing I do.
    cheers
    Jim

AJ Fishman, Master Baiter and kev209 like this.