1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Beach Fishing with Lures

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing' started by Robert Stone, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Robert Stone

Robert Stone Active Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Hi,
    I am going to try beach fishing with lures. I know there is no problem casting metal lures but what about soft lures etc. Do I need a sinker ? I only use Mono line, I don't like braid. Your help would be great.
    Cheers.

Madfisher, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    G'day Robert,
    Soft plastics work well in the surf, especially the minnows and shads. Weight of the jig-head will depend on the surf conditions and at times I have just used a normal paternoster rig, but used a soft plastic instead of bait.

I prefer to use a good quality mono for surf fishing, particularly if there is a bit of wind blowing. Braid does have a tendency to develop wind knots and tangles and mono has a far better shock absorbing feature when something big hits.

Jeff :)

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Hi Jeff,
    Thanks for the info. The soft lures I have at the moment are just rigged with hooks. I don't have any with jig-heads. This is a learning curve for me. I use good quality Mono & leader & I have 13' beach rod & a 10'6" lure rod.
    Cheers.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  4. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Hi Robert, it's great to see you posting again

creekboy likes this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The 10'6" lure rod sounds the go, Robert. Soft plastics like Squidgees, ZMan, Gulp are mostly packaged without the jig-heads and you just use whatever suits the style of fishing with less weight being the secret so that the lure will work effectively. The guru of soft plastics here on the forum is Noel (Old Fisho). He is out of internet reception at the moment, but I'm sure he will pass on some good info when he is back on deck.

I hunt for the cheapies in Big W when I shop for soft plastics and I bought some Tsunami brand yesterday that look like they would work okay. It's all a bit of trial and error to discover what will or wont work, but if you stick with the age old rule of using lighter, brighter colours in clear water and darker colours in murky water, you can't go wrong. Getting the action right is something that only comes with practice and once you start to hook fish on a regular basis, you probably wont use anything but soft plastics.

6. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Thanks Jeff. Do I use a small sinker in the surf, since the soft plastics don't have any weight ?

Cheers.

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Hi All, I use a 10'6" rod for surf spinning, My favourite lure is the 100m/m Samaki Viblicous. 20 gram. Fork or paddle tail. I have also used metal vibes, TT lures 1/2 oz. I also use scent, Sax Scent Prawn. Howard. IMG_2276-002.JPG

8. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    Use a Jig head, not a sinker, 1/2 oz or more. Whatever casts the best. Keep it light as possible. work the lures the same way as you would do for bream of flathead, which you may also catch, Jew like them too !!

9. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Thanks Bluefin. Will give it a go.
    Cheers.

10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    One thing I forgot to ask, Robert, what are you chasing and where?

Up here in the north we don't get anywhere near the type of surf conditions that hit the beaches down south and we target totally different species with threadfin salmon & queenies being the most common. Most of the beaches I fish have a close inshore gutter and due to the lack of water turbulence, I only use a 1/4 oz jighead and at times I go as low as a 1/8 oz. Jighead weight selection is no different to choosing the right sinker for the species you are chasing if using a bait rig. As you are probably aware, bream are fairly finicky and the lighter you can go with your presentation, the better the chance of a hookup. In fact, I have often targeted bream with an unweighted rig and it has been quite successful, but that will only work in calmer waters - no chance of lure control in a turbulent surf.

With flathead, you could tie a lure or bait to a boat anchor and have a better than average chance of hooking one, they have a go at anything. You will need a smaller presentation for whiting and I have had a lot of success in South Oz waters using Berkley Gulp soft plastic sand worms and as suggested by Howard, slap on a bit of Sax Scent - fish love it.

Stick with the metals for tailor and Australian salmon, they like to chase fleeing baitfish, although the right sp with a bit of weight for effective casting will work on both species, but be prepared for a lot of lure replacement, especially with tailor. Go big with your presentation if you are targeting jewfish - the old rule of big bait for a big fish certainly applies to using soft plastics on mulloway and 100 to 200 mm lures will entice the larger fish.

You stated that it is all a learning curve for you, but what an enjoyable way to learn something. I've been fishing for 65 years and I'm still learning new things - that's fishing.

Jeff ;)

11. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Hi Jeff,
    I live on the Central Coast NSW. I fish at Nth.Entrance beach & also in the channel at the Entrance which leads out to sea.
    I have caught most of the fish you have mentioned except a Jewie. There is another beach called Hargraves but I can only catch Tailor there. There is a place called Snapper Point which is rock fishing. I don't know if I could use lures there, maybe metals I will give it a go. Thanks for your help & advice.

Robert.

kev209, diesel and creekboy like this.
  12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    One of our members, 'Reelaxation' (Anthony) fishes in your area a lot, Robert. He is a keen beach fisherman and could possibly give you some good info about fishing the Central Coast with lures if you contact him by pm. It's a long time since I fished that part of the coast.

Jeff :cool:

13. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Thanks Jeff for the info.
    Nobody seems to stock Sax Scent on the Central Coast. I have asked the suppliers & they can't help me. It is to expensive on ebay.

14. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've only ever bought it online, Robert, the 50 ml tube is better value for money. You could use Pro Cure Gel, it works, but I have had more success with Sax Scent. I see that Pro Cure have one named Inshore Salt Water that I have never tried - it is listed as being available at Tuggerah BCF.

15. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I see you are using a Shimano Starlo Classix rod, Howard. How do you like it for inshore work? I had a chance to buy one a while back, but they are no longer stocked at my local BCF, but considering that we are close to 400 kms from the nearest surf, that is not surprising. I've got a couple of Starlo Classix rods, one being my favourite baitcaster 6-10kg and the other is a 7'2" light spin 2-4kg. Great rods at a very reasonable price, but discontinued by Shimano at a time that seemed to coincide with whatever happened between them and Starlo when they parted company a couple of years back. Starlo is back with the company brand again, but haven't seen any of his signature rods listed ....... yet.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  16. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    Robert, try the Sax Scent web site, about $14 for 30 mil with a clip, New Packaging!! It is worth it. I have 3 flavours in the front of the boat for the Wife, and 4 in the back for Me, I use Wasabi on Bass. Then We both have one in our Beach Bags. Oh and a couple on the shelf in the garage !!! Spares. Crab, Blood Worm and Prawn.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  17. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    Im really heavy handed with the stuff, and re apply it often. A tube lasts me around 6 to 8 months, fishing a few times a week. Cost is less than 1 lure!! So I buy a few at a time, like lures !! Howard.

18. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    Tackle World Marks Point, Newcastle are a stockist.

19. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    Thanks Jeff & Bluefin. Tackle world Marks Point is 40 K'S up the road. I have Pro Cure, just wanted to try Sax Scent.
    The price is right but they all want to sting me for big postage. Does the Stockist sell to the public ? He never said anything when I contacted him.
    Cheers.

20. Bluefin

Oct 24, 2016
    The Sax Scent Website is the manufacturer. But he may be out fishing, he doe's most days . Give him time, he will reply.