1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Beaches and wind direction.

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing' started by Rod Bender, May 24, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    Is there a general idea as to what is the best conditions for any beach as in are you looking for offshore or onshore winds? If there is a preference why? Does the direction bring on more weed or something or is it just better to cast with it behind your back. On saying that, when I fish freshwater lakes I prefer to cast into the wind as I believe the incoming waves stir up the food.

Last but not least, I guess the term back beaches is in reference to the ocean beaches as opposed to the bay beaches? Does the wind matter with the bay beaches?
    Thanks in advance.
    Team Bender
    Saltwater deadsh!t who lives north of the divide!

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  2. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    yep it matters, if the wind is onshore there will likely be a lot of weed and also the possibility of bluebottles floating- makes for hard casting also.
    Where I fish the beach faces SE so anything from W to E winds works fine- a rising tide and rising/dropping barometer will being on the fish- conversely sunrise and sunset or moon rise and moon set will trigger some fish to feed aswell.

Its best (doesnt matter whether an ocean beach or a beach inside a bay) you should check what direction it faces and check the nearby areas for weed beds or other structure that could bring down flotsam should there be a sudden turn of the wind.

I find it easiest to go there a few hours before and check out the swell direction, current and also see if there are any areas that have large amounts of weed washed up- when the tide rises these will get washed back in the water and you can kiss your beach session and fish bye-bye.

Hope this helps mate

Anthony

3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    As Anthony stated, onshore winds with beach fishing do not create an ideal fishing experience - in fact, it can be a real pain in the butt.

I always time my beach sessions according to not only tide movement & swell, but also that I've got the wind anywhere except in my face, ideally it will be choofing over my shoulders, not too gusty, just enough for comfort and to assist casting.

Bender, are you considering coming over to the dark side and dabbling in a bit of salt water piscatorial pursuit?

Jeff

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Short answer...yes! Long answer as to why, you will find here!
    https://www.tacklebox.com.au/threads/werribee-river-day-trip.8078/
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    The salt water fish won't know what hit 'em'!!!!!

diesel and kev209 like this.
  5. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Bender. Do you occasionally go on one?
    Seriously; I like your comment about onshore winds in fresh water. As a trout fly fisher, when there's a hatch, regardless of the time of day; a light onshore wind keeps the hatch in reach where an offshore breeze continually takes the food further out.
    The old fisho who's still learning.

diesel, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.