1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bender's bardi hunt!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Rod Bender, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Soon after my sister moved onto a rural property not far from me, we discovered that there was 'white gold' on her property! Ok, bardi grubs! Around March last year she showed me a few trees that had multiple casings left after the moths had emerged. Prior to that I had dug a bit and found the odd intact hole but did not bother trying to extract them.

Last week I purchased this grub puller.
    grub puller.JPG
    The idea is the noose is lowered then closes over the grub and wullah! The cable is about 4 foot long. Anyway, do you think I could find an intact hole? Nah! Plenty of holes visible from where they emerged a few months ago...but I was unable to find a sure-fire one. with hindsight I moved around too quickly me thinks. Dug a couple square metres...nope...try another tree. Next time I will be covering more area under each tree. I dug under over-hanging branches as told by my fellow Sheppartonian but it was futile.

Despite my dismal failure, I am still confident. So when I do get them...I intend on keeping them separated in individual compartments in a small tacklebox. I will not have many grubs at a time. Chuck some saw dust in each compartment...will that work, I think that is what Murph does for the few live ones he keeps? This time of the year, should they be kept in a fridge? (kitchen fridge...so it is cold) And last but not least...do they need to be covered over...as in kept in the dark? Thanks in advance.
    Team Bender
    Try me!

Tackleberry, kev209, Tinker and 2 others like this.
  2. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Your off on one of life's great adventures bender:) There's lot's to learn about grubbin, thing's like the difference between a grub hole and a snake hole are just as important as knowing where to look for them.9/10 brown snakes don't like getting dragged out of there hole by the neck.
    Keep them cool and dark as this keep's them dormant.Will last for months in the fridge.

3. Coffee Johnny

Coffee Johnny New Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Finding a Bardi is a Black Art. I've never been any good at it.

A mate of mine seemed to have the knack. He always managed to turn up with a dozen or so for a fishing session. I always thought he had a Harry Potter gene until I saw him one day buying his supply from a bait shop!
    ;)

Tackleberry, diesel, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  4. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    That looks like a great invention, Jim. Keep the hunt progress updated. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.
  5. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    On Ebay not long ago they were selling moulds for making Bardies out of cheese,

Tackleberry, creekboy and diesel like this.
  6. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Please tell me, of the 1/10 that don't mind...how would they react to being put on a hook?:cool: It may have been around 30 years ago when I tried it last (grubbin', not using browns as bait) and I can still remember being shown how to pick the decent holes, as in the ones that had the lining. Hopefully I will get a few and have some for next cod season. Then the trick will be to find waters where there are not a gazillion 'pickers' that pinch them before the big fish come along.

They are in the local tackle store Kev. To be honest, I think you could use cheese in any size or shape and you will be a winner. I am not sure if a piece of cheese imitating a grub will make it more appealing to a cod but I could be wrong. Mind you, some of my fishing mates know full well not to use any cod bait around me that resembles a cheeseburger! They may get me as by catch!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Has been known to eat more bait in some sessions than the fish actually consumed.

Tackleberry, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. Hen and Chook

Hen and Chook Active Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Bender, getting Bardi's can be tedious and frustrating but the rewards at the end can make it all worthwhile. I used to go after them just prior to heading off on fishing trips in late spring/early summer. Not sure if you'll have much success getting them over the winter months and if you leave it until the March /April period they've usually left the holes and turned to moths. Chip the earth away starting from the base of the tree working your way out under overhanging branches. The holes that should house the grub will be lined with a silk like material and a light tap on the top of the hole will either give you a slight echo or a dull thud, the slight echo normally signals that there's a grub still in the hole. The extraction of the grub can be done in several ways. The Bardi Puller that you have work really well however don't pull too hard or you'll damage the grub (can still be used as bait but needs to be used within a few days or frozen for the next trip). I used to use a cars speedo cable with a small bit of ladies stocking tied to the end. Once lowered gently into the hole towards the grubs head he'll nibble on the stockings and get his nippers caught up and can be easily extracted. If you've left your wires at home you can use a long thin piece of grass reed. Get the longest piece you can find and tie a small knot in the end, slowly put it down the hole until you feel the grub nibbling the end where the knot is then just pull the reed out quickly. I was lucky enough during one trip to be camped near where a grader was going through clearing the track so I didn't have to chip any soil, made it easy to find the holes without the digging. I also worked at an abattoirs as a kid and my father would get me to bring home the spinal cord from the bullocks, same colour and thickness of the grubs and gives off an oily residue much the same as the Bardi's do. Cheap and easy bait and a cut off length of about 3 to 4 inches on a hook used to get results but not near as good as the real grubs. Of note when you do get grubs make sure you store them separately in cigarette packets with a bit of saw dust or toilet rolls with tissues stuffed in each end. Putting them together they will nip each other and you'll end up with damaged or dead grubs.

Chook

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    blair, Tackleberry, creekboy and 3 others like this.
  8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    ^^^ Thanks...very informative. Murph was having good success digging grubs a month ago. He only stops for a couple months around the time that you mentioned when they emerge. Unless we have wet weather...then he leaves them.
    Cheers
    Jim

blair, creekboy, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  9. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    I have never tried for grubs, must give it a go sometime. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 likes this.
  10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I had a go today at my sisters...with no luck. Found some holes, got the wire down to about a metre in a few holes but was unable to extract any grubs. Sending a 'screw' down would be the only way to confirm if there was anything in the hole but at this time I want the grubs alive.

Last time I tried I am not even sure if I found a fresh hole to try so today I crept closer to success! And when my luck changes...I am sure the grub extraction rate will improve dramatically. The effort will be worth it when I use the grubs for cod bait.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    May employ diesel for his mining knowledge!!!!

blair, creekboy, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  11. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Hmmmm what does a bait shop charge for a grub ...

blair, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  12. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    At least $3 for live ones...possibly up to $5 at some places. Frozen grubs are cheaper. Some people make reasonable money digging and selling them to stores. I am not a fan of buying bait.

As for using grubs as bait, they have a habit of vanishing from the hook rather quickly...with no resulting fish. I was hoping to get a few to try now when the weather is cooler and there are less 'pickers' around.
    Cheers
    Jim

13. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Wow 3 bucks ea that is good money if your good at it

14. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Glad to help, old mate.

To start with, get rid of that flimsy looking grub pulling tool and buy yourself a jack hammer (electric) and a decent size generator to power it - probably set you back around three & a half to four grand. Go at them grubs like you really mean it, none of this fiddling around with bits of wire and such.

Failing that, consider using explosives.

Jeff

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  15. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    I have heard that a back hoe can be quite productive also and comes with a seat too. Cheers, Lyall.

16. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    locals in Mansfield use old brake cables with a spring welded on it. The local store sells wood grubs as Bardi Grubs for 5.00 each. anyone that knows whats going on he apologize's and gets the Bardis

Rod Bender, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  17. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    We get these big white grubs in the stringy bark trees here they are as thick as your thumb and about 5" long I wonder if they would catch a cod .
    None of my dogs have ever eaten one so I doubt it .

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  18. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I tried them a few times a few years ago when I collected fire wood but never ever had a bite. Even tried them in spring. i think I heard someone say that they caught some type of fish on them but I can’t remember what.
    Wally

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  19. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    In a tackle shops I called into a while back they were selling moulds to make cheese Bardi Grubs

creekboy and Rod Bender like this.
  20. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    I'm a coasty so don't know much about cod but I have read on forums that they get them on cheese .......

creekboy and kev209 like this.