1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Berkley Fireline

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by diesel, Dec 10, 2019.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Noel has often commented that his braid of choice is Berkley Fireline in smoke colour, so I decided to try it out. Why it's labelled smoke beats me, I would call it charcoal and when I first inspected it I was a bit hesitant to buy it because I thought the dark colour would stand out like dogs balls and scare the living crap out of fish, but Noel had reported catching some memorable fish using it so why not.

I have been pleased with it compared to say Fins and Powerpro, the colour has not deterred finicky feeders such as bream and I've fished with it on a couple of windy days without experiencing the dreaded wind knots. I use the Improved Albright knot for leaders and my knots have held fast with Vanish fluorocarbon.

The verdict? A thumbs up from me - thanks Noel.

Jeff

2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Diesel I hope they have improved it since I used it years ago I don't like the way it fluffs up with use daiwa j braid and a cheapy off eBay (15lb) and I have been flogging that stuff and It has never let me down over the 3 years of snapper fishing offshore and spining for tailor .
    My leaders are wind on twice the length of the rod so the FG knot cops a absolute flogging ......

3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Tac, I did read somewhere that Fireline is not as abrasion resistant as most other braids (after I bought it) and I guess time will tell whether it fluffs up with use. So far, so good, but I've only been using it for a short time - at a guess I would say 20 outings of approximately 2 hours each session. I looked at the Daiwa J, but wasn't sure if it was okay.

Jeff

blair and kev209 like this.
  4. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Around here for bottom bouncing i use either the cheap chinga stuff or finns in 10 or 15lb for snapper .
    But if it's for casting off the beach or in the lake I use daiwa j braid it is smooth as silk and casts very well and holds a very good knot , as far as abrasion resistance nothing works as everything in the water is covered in barnacles ......

blair, diesel and kev209 like this.
  5. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I replaced my Firelines a month or two ago. Bear in mind I only use 4lb with 6lb fluorocarbon leaders to about 3m to start. By choice they are Berkley Vanish as Jeff uses. And it does vanish. When they get down to 1 1/2m in length, I tie on a new one. The old lines were eight years old and have done many thousands of casts and also caught some memorable fish. They were well tested. There was nothing wrong with them apart from me beginning to wonder if they might fail because of that age factor. They never did.
    I don't know what you call my knots but there's basically only one. It's my version of the ancient 'fishermen's knot' with my variations of the number of times I loop the tag end through. It's ridiculously simple and has never let me down. I've had them under big fish load for 3/4 of an hour on several occasions. Yes I admit, of course you can only pull to a certain point with light lines on 1-3kg sticks. I used to be able to tie it in the dark to join leaders when fly fishing and use it on the beaches and have done for offshore as well. I doubt I could tie it in the dark today.
    Jeff, I often see in here comments about braid becoming fluffy. Yes, mine do too but it has had no effect of the line performance and the colour is no more or less visible than any other braid, whether old or new. If you use longer leaders the line matters not. Some of my mates use bright yellow braid and others use white. They still catch fish. Trust me, if your leaders are good, the line matters not. You could use a piece of string.
    Like Jeff, I wondered why they call it smoke too. When new it's almost black and the colour can come off on your fingers. With age (when it starts to fluff up) the colour has faded considerably and it becomes grey but it will just keep on working.
    I believe in what I say and nothing else matters to me.
    Noel
    Doesn't get overly technical about fishing gear. Just knows what works.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  6. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I had the same 'problem' Tac, if you could call it a problem! It fluffed up rather quickly and unfortunately at the time, from memory, I was experiencing a lull in catching fish (at a time when I was fishing more often and doing very well at times) so didn't get to test the line properly before giving up on it. My only concern with the 'fluffing' was that I wondered if it would reduce casting distance with a bit more friction from the fluff. The use of Fireline was my first foray into the use of 'superlines'. This was perhaps over 15 years ago. With hindsight, I did not give it a good chance.
    It is amazing Noel what some confidence can do. Was likely a case of wrong time for me! I had a quick look on the 'fireline' website. What I do like about it is you can get it down to 2 lb b/s. The 'crystal' color looks ok as well! As for the b/s, do you find in general it breaks above the rated b/s? Also, what color did you use this time around? Some of Berkley's other braids look ok as well.
    cheers
    Team Bender

diesel and kev209 like this.
  7. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Yes Bender, I find it does exceeds the rated BS, and generally by quite a bit. However I've never tested it with scales. (BS is not abbreviated B*** S*** either). I have often broken the 6lb flouro carbon leader at the joining knot, rather than the 4lb braid. I guess that says it all. As said before, I have not found any change in the lines performance due to what we call 'fluffing'.
    With absolutely no reason to change, I reused identical lines. They have my confidence.
    After a couple of years of using those lines without problems, other than some minor casting tangles, I learned that Kaj Busch 'Bushy' of fishing and Squidgy fame used exactly the same brand, same BS and same colour. I used to see Bushy fairly regularly in those days. His choice increased the confidence in mine even further.
    I have only used a couple of different braids. My first experience was with Stren and it was not a good experience. That may not have been the line's fault entirely. I am more aware now that it takes a slightly different handling technique to mono to avoid issues like so called wind knots. Braids cannot be compared to mono.
    The main reason for those knots while casting is that braid has zero memory while mono tends to spring off the spool face a little. I am convinced that they are not wind knots just as I'm convinced they are avoidable. You get wind (or air) knots in fly fishing leaders. Then the line is changing direction in the air from a back cast to a forward one and vice versa. This looping of the line, if not done properly has the propensity to tie an overhand knot. Have done it many times, just like all fly fishers. And lost fish because of it too.
    With braid coming off an open face reel as we all use, the line only travels in one single direction and you sometimes hear a light 'phuut' as an wanted bundle of line goes through the road guides and finishes up looking like a bunch of grapes. Being so fine, they can be difficult to remove. Once afraid to try it, I now happily use the point of a fine hook to help solve the problem. I am yet to see or become aware of any damage to the line if it's done carefully.
    I am absolutely certain that this so-called wind knot problem with braids begins with operator error and stays there. If you get one, on a previous cast, the line at some stage and often at the beginning of the retrieve, WAS NOT laid on the spool tightly as it should be. We have left a loose coil of line that cannot lie down on the spool and on a later cast, when circumstances all fall into place; perhaps that should read 'out of place', the line spiralling off the spool catches on that loose coil and pulls, sometime as much as a couple of metres of line off in a bunch as the cast travels out.
    I endeavour to pay regular attention to avoid such loose coils happening, particularly when I start a retrieve. I usually give the line a light pull to ensure it doesn't have a loose coil. Generally I cast all day without a tangle and having timed it, I can make up to 300 casts in a big day. They are what they are; a tangle, not a knot.
    Typically, a bit long winded but unless explained properly (as I see it personally) you don't help someone else; you cause them more problems.
    If you have a theory that obviously works and want to give it away, explain it in detail and be fair to others who may not have spent as much time sorting out such issues.
    Noel
    Definitely not an advisory source. Just a bloke trying to help.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    diesel, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I have braid about 20 years old on some reels cant remember what brand for some reasono_O still good. Still happy whith shimano kairiki sx. The tag on the knot fluffs up after a half day of casting, I usually retie my fg knot after a day of casting. Unfortunatly there are no "fluffers" about while I am fishing:cool:.

9. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    "I believe in what I say and nothing else matters to me." Self Confidence At its finest!!!!!!! Love It !!!!! Howard.

diesel, blair, kev209 and 1 other person like this.