1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Best Of Kayaks

Discussion in 'Kayak Fishing' started by ToriJean2, Jan 4, 2018.

1. ToriJean2

ToriJean2 New Member

Jan 4, 2018
    G'day everyone!

Have just started to dabble in a bit of kayak fishing and am absolutely LOVING it!

Have been a mad fisher-miss for a few years now and since starting on the kayaks, I'm wanting to spend my hard-earned (some days not really) money on a kayak.

Was wanting to know what would be the best brand to go for?!

creekboy, diesel and Rod Bender like this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Hi ToriJean2, welcome to TBX, there are a couple of kyakers on the forum I'm sure one of them will be able to help you out

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    creekboy and ToriJean2 like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    What Kev said!:)

creekboy, AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Hi ToriJean,

I can understand your love of kayak fishing, it is something that I got into a few years ago and found it to be one of the most enjoyable types of fishing I had ever tried. As for your question "what would be the best brand to go for", there are far too many criteria that need to be considered before making that decision.

Where you intend to fish will determine the type of kayak best suited for your needs. If you only intend to fish calm water like skinny creeks, rivers, lakes and estuaries, then you wont need a four and a half metre offshore unit. A smaller kayak in the 3 to 3.5 metre range is easy to handle, especially in skinny water, but lacks the gear carrying space and speed of the longer vessels. You also need to consider whether to go for a sit on top (SOT) or a sit in kayak (SIK). Both have their advantages and disadvantages, a SOT being virtually unsinkable and easy to paddle or pedal, easy to remount should you fall off, but they lack the overall stability of a SIK. I went for a SIK (Glide Horizon from BCF) as it suited my needs at the time, very stable, lightweight at 20 kgs, easy to paddle and just enough space for the minimum amount of gear I carried - pic below.

IMG_2180.JPG
    The disadvantages with a SIK is that they will sink and in the event of me falling out of it, I was prepared to let it sink because there was absolutely no way that an old bugger like me could possibly get back in.

Once you have determined the type, then you can consider the brand. A top shelf unit like a Hobie will set you back thousands, but a cheapie will get you to the same spots, not in the same style though. Consider how you are going to transport it and the weight of loading it on a vehicle, plus the extras such as a trolley, whether it is already marketed as a purpose built fishing kayak with rod holders, bait tank and all the other bells & whistles they come with.

A lot to consider ToriJean and if you are hellbent on getting one, I would suggest that you visit some of the dedicated kayak dealers and be guided by their knowledge and expertise. I sold mine not so long back, simply because I couldn't refuse the offer presented to me. If I was to consider buying another one, I would go for a canoe instead, something like the Old Town Discovery 119 https://oldtowncanoe.com.au/project/discovery-119/
    Why? Because it would suit the type of vessel I would need for longer trips, especially those requiring the gear carrying capacity for overnight stays. In saying that, I am also considering a small tinny - decisions, decisions.

Good luck with whatever you get, it is a great way to fish.

By the way, welcome to forum.

Jeff :cool:

AJ Fishman, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  5. Missniss

Missniss Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Will have to take pics of the kayaks I bought my son and I :) You can stand up on them as well as storage in the back for swag etc. Holes in the floor for rod holders. Only downside is no room for an esky to keep drinks cold, but bought fish nets (catch holders) to hang off each side, drinks stay cold in the water :)

Madfisher, diesel and kev209 like this.
  6. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Good luck with it all. Great to see another fair lady join the crew too.

7. westyonline

westyonline death to the mud guzzlers

Nov 24, 2009
    where about's are you located
    most kayak shops have trial days out on the water, you can test out a heap of different boats and brands that will suit your style/budget/storage space......and on the seventh day, hobie created kayaks!

8. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Torijean, first welcome to the forum, nice to see another lady on here. My wife just brought a very nice SoT from complete angler, the pricing was better then BCF. She paid $899 ,but it came with heaps of storage,and rod holders and seems very stable. It does have a very wide beam,
    good luck Pete

diesel and kev209 like this.