1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Beware the reel made in china.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by blair, Nov 25, 2018.

1. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hi all, bought a shimano curado 200hg about 1 year ago, hasn't been used much mostly freshwater. Recently became a bit noisy and rough feeling on the retrieve so I disassembled and some of the bearings are rusty. The rest of the reel is fine.
    Didn't want to replace the bearings whith more bearings made in china, I am sure they will be able to make a good bearing whith a few more years of manufacturing experience, also don't like buying from the US had some shonky experiances such as extra postage charge "global shipping" $41.00 tacked on.
    I know the Japanese make good bearings and found japantackle.com. good prices as well.
    $5.00 postage. Reel is nice and quiet and smooth again and seems to cast light lures further and easier I put mikes ceramic bearings on spool ,no oil. They sell reels made in japan as well including megabass reels.
    I apoligize to any TBX members who strain their marriage by making many purchases from this site, I am going there now for another drool:D
    tight lines

Attached Files:

2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    woops wrong pic on previous post, stradic combo. rod holder , not sure where they can be purchased.

Attached Files:

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, blair. Most stuff these days has a certain amount of parts made in china. Cheers, Lyall.

diesel and kev209 like this.
  4. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I buy a small amount of things not only fishing off Ebay, I have never had any problems with the US, China faulty goods replaced or money back no problems. The UK is the only one I have had problems with.

diesel, creekboy and Rod Bender like this.
  5. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Personaly I don't like shimano I have three broken shimano rods that were hardly used and a few Diawa and Shakespeare rods that are over ten years well used and still going strong

6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    woops another mistake, reel made in Malaysia ,I thought I saw made in china on side of box need to wear my glasses more now that I am becoming a gof. I think u are correct Lyall I would guess the bearings are made in china. I have salt water use shimanos 20 years old+ tss4 tld15 tld25 whith stainless bearings almost no rust whith Thailand marked on some of the seals, still going good have been stripping down and lubing most of my reels.
    I found the shimano rods vary in quality as well lazyfisher.
    I will definatly stay away from the UK kev.
    Going to see if I can get a 32 year old shimano spinning reel apart that I have sprayed wd40 into some parts that I cant separate, handle wont unscrew. have left out in sun for a while. Has caught many fish along whith beat up old shimano rod.
    cheers

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Which Shimano rods did you have problems with...Raiders by chance? I have heard lots of negative things about the Raiders yet I know some guys who USD them without issue.

It may have been about 5 years ago but Shimano started skimping on their rods and many models were fitted with cheaper guides rather than Fuji guides. This put me off them.
    Cheers
    Jim

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    cant recall which models they were jim, I think they were cheapo,s. I have a cod raider BC642 line weight 6-12kg lure weight 15-40gm which I haven't given much of a flogging yet it seems ok feels strong I stopped using it when I replaced it whith a 7'5' 175H zodius which performs much better. I will keep the cod raider as a backup rod, next time I am feeling rich I may get another baitcaster and put it on the raider, we cant have a rod lying around whithout a reel on on it.:D
    cheers blair

9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm surprised that you discovered rusty bearings in the Curado, Blair. Shimano have been installing stainless bearings in practically all their reels for as long as I have been using them and that goes back over 35 years and the only reels that would not have s/s would be those designated as freshwater use only, which the Curado is not.

As far as quality of rods and reels go, Shimano are no different to any other company that market a large range of gear - there are top shelf products and there are budget priced gear and the old saying of "you get what you pay for" certainly applies.

When selecting a rod, I look at the manufacturing process of the blank first and all other things come after that. If I consider the blank to be not up the task of what I intend to use it for, I move on to another selection. Sure, the guides, reel seat and cosmetics are all part of the selection, but it all comes down to whether or not it will handle the weight of the lures I cast and the weight of the fish if I do hook what I'm chasing. Line weight ratings of a rod are not something that have a huge bearing on my selection due to the vagaries in rated breaking strains of line compared to the actual breaking strain and also line diameter.

With reels, I try to source those that are classed JDM (Japanese Domestic Market), because they do seem to be better quality than a lot of the reels churned out by the big manufacturers destined only for the export market. There are exceptions to this of course and it comes back to top shelf vs bottom shelf.

Lets face it, if we only ever wanted rods and reels that we never have to replace, it would be Ugly Stiks and Alveys and that would take all the fun and mystery out of trying something new, not that I've got anything against Ugly Stiks. Alveys? Now that's a different story - never have liked them.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I was surprised as well, some of my shimanos are over 20 years old and only a touch of rust on outer face of outer bearings on 1 bearing in each reel, 6500 baitrunner 3500 baitrunner tss4 tld15 tld25, Thailand bearings. they have had a flogging in salt water and not a lot of care till now. ax4000 I just went over had 1 bearing lot of rust on outer side of outer bearing but internals still good, 32 years old that one done a lot of work, japan bearing.
    Alveys : simple reliable clunker if I remember correctly twist up the line if no swivel used, had a a small one once. takes about a month to wind in a long cast. never owned an ugly stick they are tough as if I remember correctly.
    blair

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  11. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I'm a tad surprised. If I understand what I read; it seems some guys leave reels virtually untouched for years. That's not the way to treat good gear. About once a year (reels used regularly in salt) I take the side plates off to check if all is well. If it looks OK, using a screwdriver or similar, I repack the grease back onto the gears and bearings. If it's not; I wash them out in petrol and repack completely. I've never had a problem other than wearing out a few in my lifetime. There's no answer to that. The most used reels now are by Shimano and they have done 'literally' millions of revolution and are still perfect.
    I bought a Shimano 'Backbone' rod when I first went out on the road and had an ABU bait caster on it. Fishing at Lake Argyle, with small catfish, 2kg perhaps, it simply snapped about 60cm from the tip after no more than perhaps 50 casts. It cost me $150 and was disappointing.
    Like Jeff, I have a resistance to Ugly Sticks. Hate them.

diesel and kev209 like this.