1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

bimini tops

Discussion in 'Boats' started by bognoel, Apr 9, 2010.

1. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    ever notice that the shade from the bimini top is never where you are sitting? does / has anyone got any great ideas on how to combat this situation as i would be happy to hear them. also any ideas how to give you more rod space when using the bimini (not casting) as the straps are allways in the way at some time

2. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I think Jules had the best Idea with beach umbrella's lol.
    From what he's said in earlier posts he has a heavy base and just moves them to where they are needed.
    I hate bimini's, they always get in the bloody way :p

3. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    used the umbrellas at the start but did find they reacted to the wind very dangerously but starting to realise they are more efficient in the long run

4. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Yeah fair enough, I just use a fishing shirt and broad brimmed hat now :p keeps the sun off and works better lol

5. TomtButters5

TomtButters5 Just one more cast

Nov 30, 2009
    We have a nice big umbrella, 10 dollar job from big W, but i find a long sleeved fishing shirt, light long pants and an old akubra work a charm, same as Skipzx, never been in a boat with a bimini top

6. Andy72

Andy72 New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    Not to sure if anyone has heard of these or seen one but there's a canopy called a kingfisher (google kingfisher canopy) and it looks the goods to me, different to a bimini with only a couple of poles to worry about would love to hear if anyone has any experience with one of these?

7. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    love the features so that you can fold down each side etc but still has the problem that if the sun is not directly over head then someone is getting burnt etc.

8. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    thanks for supporting big w tom
    have the big hat but still like the shorts and singlet etc as it is very hard to find a light long sleeve shirt that i like or could get embroided for fishing

9. mitchmcm

mitchmcm Member

Feb 2, 2010
    go buy sombreros for everyone haha there like mini umbrellas for each person haha

10. shep

shep New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    i had a bimini made and it is the same size as my boat, it keeps most of the
    rain and sun out however i only use it if my wife and kid are with me. i find it
    easier to wear sun clothes/gloves.
    my bimini will also stay up with only one strap at each end.

11. rileykai

rileykai New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    Had the same problem with mine,because it was too high and didnt cover anyone,so i cut about 400mm off it so it sits just above your head.Works a treat now.Might be worth a try.
    Cheers
    Mark

12. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi
    Try nocking one up yourself.I really like this style.They fold down ,good protection and easy to fish around. These pics are from www.biminitops.com.au/
    Cheers

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  13. Poolie

Poolie Your mothers lover

Jun 2, 2009
    Check out the "Detour" shirts @ BCF they have vents under the front pockets and in the middle of your back they keep me nice and cool and burn free when I flick from the stones.