1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bit of a Surprise Fishing Ningi Creek

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing' started by MSB, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MSB

MSB Active Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Hi Everyone

Fishing Ningi Creek the other day and decided to anchor near the red beacon towards the mouth around 8.00am to fish the last 2 hours of the run out.

Anchored up in 5 mtrs of water with about 15mtrs of rope out in quite a bit of run and anchor rope is taught, just starting to enjoy a cup of tea when my boat starts to move slowly upstream against the tide, anchor rope hasn't gone slack though, as quick as it happened anchor rope goes slack and the boat settles back on taught anchor rope again , I am thinking WTF's going on here, all of sudden the boat heads up stream again only this time the bow starts dipping quite violently, everything stops, anchor rope goes slack again and she settles back down on a taught anchor rope, by this time I am a bit concerned and thinking it might be best to move, when right beside the boat up pops one of these bad boys, I am in a 4mtr tinny and this fella was almost as long.

He or she was obviously rubbing themselves on the anchor rope for some fun.

This is not a picture of the actual dugong that made me age somewhat but similar.

MSB

Attached Files:

DeeBeeKay, creekboy, kev209 and 3 others like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Do you see them very often, Ron?

In all my years fishing Qld waters I have never seen a dugong.

Jeff :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. MSB

MSB Active Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Morning Jeff

Yes mate, see them most mornings I am on the water, there is a couple of herds always working the sea grass beds in Ningi Creek and in Tony's Gutter, couple of months back had a cow and her calf working around the boat in Tony's for a good half hour, doesn't help the fishing much but hey, gotta love nature

Ron

4. Wunderlust

Wunderlust Active Member Admin

Jul 9, 2007
    Good story Ron,
    A few years ago, I had a dive teams boat, when at anchor got taken under by a whale. It was unbelievable when I got the phone call and days later the funniest thing since sliced bread, but not at the time. What transpired was the dive boat was in about 20m of water at anchor and a whale popped up next to the boat, next minute the boat duck dived and the boat flooded. They reckon whales tail went across the anchor line causing it to go under. They had to call the rescue folks as the engine was flooded and also the marine park folks for a possible injured whale.

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Many years ago I read a book about the early days of the Broome pearling industry, a time when the divers went down in the heavy suits. The thing they feared the most was whales cruising past and hooking their airline and tether rope with a fin or tail. Numerous divers were dragged to their death.

Jeff :)

Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  6. MSB

MSB Active Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Hi Wunderlust

Your experience is a bit more dramatic then mine, the whale scenario probably happens quite often, out of interest, did your insurer cover the costs of fixing the damage to your engine and boat.

MSB

kev209 and diesel like this.
  7. MSB

MSB Active Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Hi Jeff

You just put me off becoming a pearl diver

Ron

Old fisho, kev209 and diesel like this.
  8. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I've never, but have always wanted to see dugongs. There are normally plenty in Shark Bay WA, but when I was there the water temp had dropped and they move out.

diesel and kev209 like this.
  9. Wunderlust

Wunderlust Active Member Admin

Jul 9, 2007
    It was our dive subbies, so yes I believe they were covered under their insurance.

diesel, kev209 and Old fisho like this.